Apple Live Event: iPhone 6, Apple Watch

Ilya:
I need to learn more before I'm convinced it is more secure than the alternatives.

Me too! I am not trying to convince you, just passing what's being announced. ;)
But it sounds very interesting!

Last edited:
No, not exactly. PayPal is essentially a bank: it processes your transactions and keeps your money.
With Apple Pay, Apple doesn't process your transaction and doesn't store your money. All transactions are processed and authorized by your Bank, the issuer of your card directly, the way I understand.

That is true if you hold a balance there but if you are using Paypal to make a Credit Card purchase then don't they just act as an intermediary so that your CC information is not shared with the seller / vendor / or whatever you want to call the place you are paying. The CC transaction is still authorized by the issuer if you do not have a balance with Paypal or am I missing something for that part of the PP service.

That is true if you hold a balance there but if you are using Paypal to make a Credit Card purchase then don't they just act as an intermediary so that your CC information is not shared with the seller / vendor / or whatever you want to call the place you are paying. The CC transaction is still authorized by the issuer if you do not have a balance with Paypal or am I missing something for that part of the PP service.

Well, it's similar in terms of bypassing the merchant (the merchant doesn't get to see your card). But with a PayPal on-line CC payment, the way I understand it, the credit card number is still being used with every transaction, you just enter it on the Paypal's site instead of the merchant's site. With Apple Pay the card is only used initially to bind your device security token to your bank account. Once that initial connection is established and is approved by your Bank (through the agreement that Apple has with CC providers and banks), all future transactions do not involve the CC number at all. Instead, special one-time codes are being utilized, based on your device tokens. At least in theory this should be more secure, since each code can only be used once, for one specific transaction and cannot be re-used if eavesdropped or stolen (unlike the CC number).

The iPhone 6 plus is exactly what I hoped Apple would do. I got tired of the iPhone being so small. This may bring me back to the iOS ecosystem.

Reactions: stimpson
If i were in the market for a 6 I would have preferred the 5 width with a larger battery. The 6 kinda looks like it was made by HTC.
Agreed. I have seen others reference it to the HTC One also.

The iPhone 6 plus is exactly what I hoped Apple would do. I got tired of the iPhone being so small. This may bring me back to the iOS ecosystem.
I went to the iPhone 5s because it was the smallest phone I could find, I don't want to carry a tablet on my belt, smartphone makers should realize not everyone carry's their phone in a pocket nor wants that...

I went to the iPhone 5s because it was the smallest phone I could find, I don't want to carry a tablet on my belt, smartphone makers should realize not everyone carry's their phone in a pocket nor wants that...

I carry my note 2 in my pocket and have no troubles at all.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

eh.... Honestly as much as I like Apple and their products I wasn't really impressed or blown away with the iPhone 6 or Plus. I think it's crazy they want 300 for the 5.5 model on contract and only 16GB's? I have my iMac that I like but there's phones out with less bezel and more screen and yeah they are not iPhones but was expecting much better from Apple. As far as the iWatch goes it's nice but since they want close to 400 for the smaller one, i"m out. The iWatch is pretty cool but honestly I hardly wear a watch anymore as I always have my phone with me so it's not a need to have it.

I have not worn a watch since 1999 when I started carrying a cell phone all the time. They say though that once you get a smart watch and start using it, you quickly get back used to wearing a watch and you use it more than you think you would, since it is more than simply a time piece. Who knows. I may try one someday but not yet, myself.

These two will actually make me consider the ios system again as well.

I had used the 5, but after having had larger screens, even with ios that doesn't need it as much, it just seemed cramped in comparison.

4.7 will be nice, but I'll likely try out the plus after getting my wife the 6.

Ok, so for those of us who are going to order a new iPhone 6: we now have less than three days to decide between 6 and 6 Plus. Here are the differences I see so far. Let me know if I missed anything:

iPhone 6 Plus / iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S

Display (diagonal): 5.5-inch / 4.7-inch / 4-inch
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 / 1334 x 750 / 1136 x 640
Contrast: 1300:1 / 1400:1 / 800:1
Weight: 6.07 ounces / 4.55 ounces / 3.95 ounces
Depth: 0.28 inch (7.1 mm) / 0.27 inch (6.9 mm) / 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
Image stabilization: optical / digital only / digital only
Battery talk time: 24 hours / 14 hours / 10 hours
Internet use (3G): 12 hours / 10 hours / 8 hours
Landscape mode homepage: yes / no /no
Price (64GB): $399 / $299
Price (128GB): $499 / $399

I carry my note 2 in my pocket and have no troubles at all.
Yeah, but you probably wear a Scottyvest...
;)

Since we've been bombarded with leaked iPhone 6 images for the past quarter, the actual reveal was anticlimactic. The lack of a 32 GB model was unexpected, but I like doubling the capacity for the same prices as last year's 5S model. (Side Note: No more 30-pin iOS devices in the Apple Store! Long Live Lightning!) The AppleWatch impressed me strictly from the attention to detail that all of the other smart watches have lacked. To be fair, though, I haven't seen the new Samsung Gear or Moto360 in much detail to be able to compare. Based on the pictures that have been posted, it looks like a polished execution that one expects from Apple. Notice that there was no mention of how long the AppleWatch will run. I liked the inductive MagSafe charging: no openings!

I expect that the coming years will see the AppleWatch get thinner and curvy. This first generation reminds me of the first iPhone (thick and rounded edges) and it also pays homage to the iPod Nano that people used to wear as a watch.

The only question I have is how comfortable that bulge on the back will be after wearing the AppleWatch all day. Maybe this prevents sea-sickness as an added benefit?

ApplePay sounds like the usual Apple waiting for the "right" moment: "Tap-to-pay" NFC has been a product for years without much traction, then here comes Apple and suddenly this is how we're paying for things in the future. Question: The demo with the iPhone 6 showed the customer using their thumbprint to verify the "tap2pay". After the AppleWatch was presented, Tim Cook said you can also use AppleWatch for ApplePay and showed an AppleWatch being presented to the NFC terminal. No fingerprint needed? AppleWatch works with the iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6 Plus, but only the last three have TouchID. Maybe an asterisk is needed to say "ApplePay requires NFC iOS device and TouchID" unless the AppleWatch has its own TouchID.

Last edited:
Anyone know the weight of the iPhone 6 or 6 plus compared to the iPhone 5s?
I keep mine in my front pocket and weight is an issue for me.

6 is about 15% heavier than 5s. 6+ is 50% heavier than 5s.

Question: The demo with the iPhone 6 showed the customer using their thumbprint to verify the "tap2pay". After the AppleWatch was presented, Tim Cook said you can also use AppleWatch for ApplePay and showed an AppleWatch being presented to the NFC terminal. No fingerprint needed? AppleWatch works with the iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6 Plus, but only the last three have TouchID. Maybe an asterisk is needed to say "ApplePay requires NFC iOS device and TouchID" unless the AppleWatch has its own TouchID.

This is one of many unanswered questions about the Apple Watch. One speculation is that the watch may use other biometric information to identify the person, since it has sensors on the back...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)