Apple losses are Google gains

I think this will all change some in the next year once the Windows 7 Phones hit the market. Microsoft is finally taking the smartphones market serious now and all the competition knows this. Th giant is awake as this point I would recommend everyone to wait before they jump-ship to a new phone or new contract and wait and see what WP 7 devices are coming out. If not I think many folks will kick themselves by not waiting and get stuck with a average phone with a bad carrier or great phone bad carrier. Either way WP 7 device will be out soon and so far everything I see and have heard some are already wishing they waited instead of going to droid or apple.
Microsoft has left me waiting for quite sometime so they can now wait for me....to get tired of my new android phone (HTC EVO). I'll see what Windows Phone X has to offer in 2012.

Another month, another more of the same (6 months rolling average)...
Android Most Popular Operating System in U.S. Among Recent Smartphone Buyers | Nielsen Wire

top-recent-mobile-OS.png

The most interesting part: RIM sold almost as many BlackBerrys over the last month as Apple sold iPhones.

Expect Apple to chime in with a count of all iOS devices again, this time (maybe) including AppleTV...

Diogen.

The smartphone market from the handset manufacturer angle.
iSuppli smartphone numbers: it's good to be a droid

top10-smartphone-isuppil.jpg

It can't say much about phones with multiple manufacturers (i.e. Android; WP7 will also be in this category),
but for the Brand=Manufacturer - Nokia, RIM, Apple - it shows an interesting trend: their combined market share "flattened" - 72-73%.
With the rest presumably going (mostly) the Android way...

Diogen.

Google stock rose 11% after reporting record profits in the Q3-2010. :)

But Apple continued to climb as well setting 52 week highs on a daily basis as they ramp up new outlets for ipods and ipads. ipads go on sale today at Walmarts everywhere.

Google gains are Apple losses? NOT! Both are doing extremely well. It's just that Google's gains were not predicted by analysts, while Apple's have been all along. Yesterday was a game changer!

Last edited:
These comparisons are goofy! Android is not a phone nor a manufacturer but an OS. Apple and Nokia are two manufacturers. Rim, Nokia, htc, make multiple models of phones. Apple makes one model phone. Microsoft makes an operating system and no phones. Google makes an operating system and has contracted for a single model phone under their name. What all this means is it is impossible to create a fair chart of comparisons.

Unless you create a chart that compares:

Which cell phone model has sold the most numbers to date? iphone4 or iphone 3G ( no mention of manufacturer or OS as we are talking specific phone models)

Which manufacturer makes the most number of cell phones in the world? Nokia

Which OS is used in more cell phones? Probably Symbian or Android ( no need to mention a manufacturer as we are comparing OS)

Which cell phone manufacturer has the greatest number of phones on enterprise accounts? RIM

and so we go, twisting the data to make it look like what we want it to look like.

The bottom line can be summaries as, "competition is good." Personally, I welcome all the wonderful new products and services being offered! Will everyone win? Heck no! But there should be plenty of room for everyone to compete and innovate.

NPD confirms the numbers
Android’s OS was installed in 44 percent of all smartphones purchased in Q3, an increase of 11 percentage points since Q2; Apple iOS held relatively steady versus last quarter, rising one percentage point to 23 percent; RIM OS, fell to third position, declining from 28 percent to 22 percent
when OS unit share for the third quarter of 2010 is compared to the third quarter of 2009, the declines among Android competitors were as follows: RIM OS share declined by 53 percent; Apple iOS share declined 21 percent.

Diogen.

Interesting statistics from a not so well known company covering the developer/publisher universe
Android wins devs' hearts and minds ? The Register

To summarize:
- at the moment over half (51%) of developers target Apple products: 30%+21%, iPhone+iPad; Android has 23%;
- new publishers/developers have the same interest in the iPad (20%), almost no interest in iPhone (8%) and higher interest in Android (29%);
- Windows Phone 7 platform generates as much interest with new developers as iPad - 20% (you can buy market share!)

Diogen.

Bump in market share or units sold?

Based on the info here, we are talking about expectations of 1-2M more units per quarter. Hence, 5-10%.
The effect most likely will dissipate by year end, i.e. 5% (max) more units annually.
Considering the smartphone market grows at a 10-20% annual rate, it will be hardly noticeable.
And since this is a US-specific thing, on the world scale this will be half as visible at best
File:IPhone sales per quarter.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line: it is really hard to beat Android's market share gains at a 6%+ clip (quarterly)...

There will no doubt be a bump in Apple's income that will just as inevitably bring "smile to the face" of our local stock expert...

Diogen.

diogen said:
Bump in market share or units sold?

Based on the info here, we are talking about expectations of 1-2M more units per quarter. Hence, 5-10%.
The effect most likely will dissipate by year end, i.e. 5% (max) more units annually.
Considering the smartphone market grows at a 10-20% annual rate, it will be hardly noticeable.
And since this is a US-specific thing, on the world scale this will be half as visible at best
File:IPhone sales per quarter.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line: it is really hard to beat Android's market share gains at a 6%+ clip (quarterly)...

There will no doubt be a bump in Apple's income that will just as inevitably bring "smile to the face" of our local stock expert...

Diogen.

You got that right. It's what really matters to the individual. No expert here, just doing what should be obvious to anyone. Doesn't take an expert to follow the number one public company in the world.

It is really hard to find a market where both smartphone/tablet OSs - Android and iOS - compete and Android isn't winning.
Another example: ad wars. Essentially, what makes Google money and the justification to offer Android for free

smartphone1.jpg

Android smartphones started slowly after the introduction of T-Mobile's G1 in September 2008, and began to take off only after Motorola and Verizon aggressively advertised the Droid in late 2009. At this time last year, however, Android smartphones began to make their move – and, according to Millennial Media, Android-based ad requests increased a staggering 3,130 per cent during 2010.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/13/millennial_media_report/

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts