Apple losses are Google gains

I love multiple competitors because it spurs innovation and keeps the products reasonably priced.

I think competition is a very good thing as well. Some of the changes we have seen in iOS are due to Android. The iPhone's initial success played a HUGE role is drawing people to smart phones (from when it was just a small niche business market) to today where almost everybody, it seems, has one, and it is a true consumer device. - The biggest winner of that, of course, is not Apple or Google, but the carriers, with their $30 and up monthly data plans on top of over-priced service packages.

I think competition is a very good thing as well. Some of the changes we have seen in iOS are due to Android. The iPhone's initial success played a HUGE role is drawing people to smart phones (from when it was just a small niche business market) to today where almost everybody, it seems, has one, and it is a true consumer device. - The biggest winner of that, of course, is not Apple or Google, but the carriers, with their $30 and up monthly data plans on top of over-priced service packages.

Absolutely! I prefer the Android products but I'm always glad to see Apple, Microsoft and others bring new products and services to market. Personally I don't know why people get so worked-up over a mobile phone OS. Heck, I would gladly buy another mobile phone (Apple, MS or RIM) if it offered the features I wanted at the best price. I had a Microsoft Mobile OS phone for three years prior to getting an HTC EVO last year and loved it. I would have considered a Win7 Phone (a year or two earlier) if Microsoft didn't fall asleep at the wheel.

Absolutely! I prefer the Android products but I'm always glad to see Apple, Microsoft and others bring new products and services to market. Personally I don't know why people get so worked-up over a mobile phone OS. Heck, I would gladly buy another mobile phone (Apple, MS or RIM) if it offered the features I wanted at the best price. I had a Microsoft Mobile OS phone for three years prior to getting an HTC EVO last year and loved it. I would have considered a Win7 Phone (a year or two earlier) if Microsoft didn't fall asleep at the wheel.

Exactly. I used to be blinded against iOS, but its fine, and has things I like, just as Android has things I like. In the end, both are good operating systems. But we have managed to build up walls and total blind loyalty without a lot of reason.

But we have managed to build up walls and total blind loyalty without a lot of reason.

Not me! I've always had very good technical reasons why I preferred PC over Mac, but I like the ipad and the way Apple does business with other people. I'm referring to other people as the masses who add to the profits of Apple and buy anything Apple because they don't know any better.

A picture is worth a thousand words, or something like that...
From here.

Screen-Shot-2011-08-08-at-11.29.26-AM.png

Diogen.

Nielsen decided to through its hat into the "desirability" statistics ring.
But unlike the hailed table that has a lot to do with Social and hardly anything with Science

changewave_june2011-4e24510-intro.gif

this one has meaningful numbers attached

smartphone-late-adopters.gif

To summarize: in the Early Adopter group (14% of the cohort) iOS has one percent lead over Android.
The rest is as sane as one would expect from the market share numbers and iOS is behind Android somewhere between 2 and 8 percent.

Here is more.

Diogen.

To continue the "obscure" statistic topic, Android passed iOS (but is still behind
Symbian) as a smartphone OS of choice in European member-countries of G7.
Android Captures #2 Ranking Among Smartphone Platforms in EU5 - comScore, Inc

Unlike most of the other (just as "obscure") statistic, this covers the installed base,
not sold in the last 3-6-12 months - and that is the reason Symbian is still ahead of the pack.

Diogen.

My biggest gripe about Android is OS updates. I understand why it's like it is but it's annoying. Plus from what I have seen the hardware isn't supported nearly as long as Apple does with the iPhone. For instance the EVO 4G was released last June and Sprint has said it will end of life it next month.

They both have their plusses and minuses. :)

They both have their plusses and minuses. :)
Of course they do...

Just start with a non-subsidized phone and stay one step below the bleeding edge - you won't have any problems...:)

My Nexus One runs for 18 months, from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread, and I have no complaints.
Galaxy S II (from UK) is the best phone I've used, 5-min unlock.

Diogen.

EDIT:
You have to buy Samsung phones in the UK - the only market Samsung is losing to HTC and therefore not charging Apple prices...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)