Apple losses are Google gains

I heard on the radio this afternoon a new study showed that the iphone ( as a single phone) is now the top selling smart phone world wide beating out it's closest competitors from Nokia and Samsung. The announcer did state that while Android holds the top spot for popularity it is used on many different phones from many different manufacturers.

Has anyone seen this study in print or on the internet?

I heard on the radio this afternoon a new study showed that the iphone ( as a single phone) is now the top selling smart phone world wide beating out it's closest competitors from Nokia and Samsung. The announcer did state that while Android holds the top spot for popularity it is used on many different phones from many different manufacturers.

Has anyone seen this study in print or on the internet?

How about This ?

That reads like what I heard on the radio ( CNBC ) Thanks for your research to the link. Looks like Samsung and Apple are neck in neck and it will be interesting to see if the Q4 results with iphone 5 can spring way ahead. My interest is only in the Apple stock value I continue to trade.

The numbers game is a myth!

What really matters is who is making the money. As anyone knows if you want answers, follow the money. Only fools ignore this.

Google has stated it's Android OS business represents about $912,000,000 to date based on the license fees manufacturers have paid. Small numbers in the overall picture and we don't know the actual development cost incurred by Google to put Android OS on the market.

Following the money we discover that the latest recipient of a windfall cash cow from Android is Microsoft! Seems they have some very strong patents that legal experts from the various Android phone manufacturers do not wish to fight and have decided to just pay a license fee. But that is not all. Apple, Nokia, RIM, HP and Oracle also have patent IP that is in play. Recently, out of business Nortel patents went up for auction and were bought by Apple. Now Apple can also profit by Android license fees. Meanwhile Google does not choose to defend it's own IP and sits back while the phone makers continue to rack up license fees to many IP owners.
One article estimates fees amounting to $60 per Android device activation in addition to what they already pay Google. This author feels the IP fees manufacturers pay out to patent owners, including Apple, is Android's Achilles Heel.

Now I have to ask this question: What is preventing iOS from beating out Android? Simply that Android is available to these phone manufacturers while iOS is exclusive to Apple. What would happen if Apple decided to license it's iOS to every Android phone maker for $5 a device? In short order, Android would become too expensive and Google, with such low profits from the venture may just decide to drop it.

...follow the money. Only fools ignore this.
I don't think even rocky's Social Science can save this perl of "wisdom"!

Maybe you should change "I shoot people 4hire" to "I shoot people 4money" instead? Learn the English language in the process...
Get another degree to brag about...

Diogen.

I don't think even rocky's Social Science can save this perl of "wisdom"!

Maybe you should change "I shoot people 4hire" to "I shoot people 4money" instead? Learn the English language in the process...
Get another degree to brag about...

Diogen.

Here we go again. Dislike the post, make fun of the person posting it. Enough already Diogen.

I, Cringley has a very interesting piece about Apple's money.

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » Apple’s Money - Cringely on technology

i think the comment at the bottom about NASA is particularly interesting:

I was there when IBM announced the PS/2 line of computers. All of them (except for the top of the line which wasn’t actually produced) used 286 chips. I was there next to a Compaq executive and asked him on his take since this was IBM moving away from the PC standard.

His reaction was one of giddiness. He was originally afraid that IBM might be able with their shear size, stage a comeback. However, while all of the IBMs computers used the 286 chipsets. Compaq had stopped using the 286 chip and had moved on to the 386 chips. Compaq machines were already used in businesses, and their machines were faster. IBM, he told me, might as well give up the PC business. They’re no longer a player.

Apple isn’t buying up the entire supply like IBM did. Instead, they’re buying just enough for a quarter. This gives them the discount they need, and guarantees they won’t be stuck with the last generation of parts while everyone else is moving to the next generation.

Apple’s influence in pushing technology. Without Apple, we wouldn’t have Gorilla Glass, the new compact battery packs, or SSD drives. Apple can go in with its massive cash and requirements and almost will new factories into existence. With their sales and cash on hand, they can get companies to build facilities for products that are still on the drawing board.

Not since Nasa in the 1960s, have we seen a single organization capable of pushing the technological envelope forward.

I, Cringley has a very interesting piece about Apple's money.

I, Cringely » Blog Archive » Apple’s Money - Cringely on technology

i think the comment at the bottom about NASA is particularly interesting:

I wonder how much of the profit in smart phones Apple is taking this year. Last it was almost 90% of the profit. Microsoft is said to get around $15/android and they are making more on Android than W7 phones.

Apple may spend huge amounts of cash to buy up displays and flash memory, but they are making so much profit it does not affect their cash on hand, it only piles up.

comscore-may-2011-mobile-market-share-o.png
A percent here, a percent there... pretty soon you start talking real market share...:)
Android rises to 40 percent market share in US

comscore-1.jpg

When compared to not quite two years ago, Android has come a long way.
But the title of the thread is misleading: Apple kept its 25% (give or take) share over all those 20+ months.
While Android ripped others off, going from 2.5% to 40% (US smartphone OS share).

smartphone_1209.png

Diogen.

Last edited:
EDIT: Forgot the boilerplate -
Apple makes the most (all?) the money in this market and only fools care about anything else!
Anything else I missed?

Actually, its unclear why you care so much about the numbers or the comparison. Very healthy competition between two operating systems, and everybody else is losing. Seems pretty simple.

Because numbers have the best chance to reflect facts.
When collected and analysed properly...

Diogen.
Except numbers, like stats, can be manipulated easily.

And your assumptions of proper analysis is kind of biased. LOL

But again, not sure why it is so important to you.

Yes, if you let Social Science do it.
An opinion is biased. Proper analysis isn't.
Here.

Diogen.

You are so unbelievable, social science is biased because Diogen says it is.

"Proper Analysis" = Diogen's interpretation (read: opinion).

Do you realize how you actually come across? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)