Apple Pay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Don, I don't have a watch, but I never pull up the app first on my phone. I've never had to switch from my default card either. I assume that I would need to do that in the app before hand, but I could be wrong. Strange that Walgreens had you sign. My local Walgreens took apple pay without me having to sign anything.
I have always had to sign when I use it at Walgreens. I have only used it for prescriptions though. Not sure if that matters. IIRC the guides for the Watch tell you to double click the side button to bring up your card first, then hold the watch face close to the reader. I used it yesterday and was impressed how quick the transaction was.

OK, I know what I did wrong. I couldn't get it to pop up. I think I didn't double click the side button fast enough. It's working now! :)

Thanks for the "Vendor option rule," Navy.

I'll say the transition to iPhone has been easier than I expected. Plus it comes with so many new features, especially with the watch.

Reactions: stimpson
I've never had to sign at Walgreens but never bought prescriptions there either.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had to sign at Whole Foods again this morning and I asked the clerk about it. He said it is only required for purchases over $50. I assume it is just a Whole Foods thing.

I had to sign at Whole Foods again this morning and I asked the clerk about it. He said it is only required for purchases over $50. I assume it is just a Whole Foods thing.
I think his response was about credit cards in general: grocery purchases below $50 no longer require signature...

Apple Inc. said it is expanding its Apple Pay mobile-phone payments service to accept cards from Discover Financial Services Inc. and certain retail stores, such as department-store chains Kohl's Corp. and J.C. Penney Co., and warehouse club BJ's Wholesale Club.

The company also said that it is extending Apple Pay next month to the U.K., where it will be accepted at more than 250,000 locations, including the London transportation system.

I'm more than ready for them adding Discover! If they support Kohl's then I'm afraid I'll need to get my wife an ?Watch so she can use ?Pay with her iPhone 5s. Starbucks will be nice, too, as sometimes it takes the scanner a few tries to read the barcode off the screen.

Note- all debit cards require pins. I asked that question some time ago about using the the Apple watch and was told that. NFC does not eliminate the need for debit card pins. CC will still require signatures for some charges depending on the law. Pharmacy for example still requires signature with NFC.

Note- all debit cards require pins. I asked that question some time ago about using the the Apple watch and was told that. NFC does not eliminate the need for debit card pins.

Don, I think many bank debit cards that have VISA or MC logo can be actually used in two ways: as debit cards and also as credit cards. I know when I shop with my debit card and I am asked Debit or Credit, either choice is acceptable. If I select Debit, I am asked for the pin code; if I select Credit, I have to sign. I haven't tried adding my debit card to Apple Pay, but I wonder if it will just work as any credit card.

CC will still require signatures for some charges depending on the law.
That's true. When I made a purchase at a T-mobile store, they accepted Apple Pay, but still asked for my signature. When I asked why, they explained that I am signing not just for the payment transaction, but also agreeing to the terms of purchase. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
Not to go too far off the rails, but I'm puzzled by Samsung's decision to push LoopPay in the Galaxy G6 phones. I bring this up because I saw in a Brookstone catalog a smartphone case that had a built-in LoopPay dongle. The idea behind the LoopPay is it generates a magnetic field that the current Card Swipe terminals can pick up and read as if you swiped a credit card through the reader. It has to be more than that, though, because otherwise it would be no different than a magnetic card.

But even if LoopPay does do some secret sauce to generate a one-time code that the vendor accepts, isn't the idea of magnetic card swipes passé? There's the big push to move everything to Chip&PIN, so eventually all the swipe readers will be gone. Seems like an odd standard to push now. Five years ago, maybe... But in the long run, Apple and Google will dominate with their NFC solutions, IMHO.

Not to go too far off the rails, but I'm puzzled by Samsung's decision to push LoopPay in the Galaxy G6 phones. I bring this up because I saw in a Brookstone catalog a smartphone case that had a built-in LoopPay dongle. The idea behind the LoopPay is it generates a magnetic field that the current Card Swipe terminals can pick up and read as if you swiped a credit card through the reader. It has to be more than that, though, because otherwise it would be no different than a magnetic card.

But even if LoopPay does do some secret sauce to generate a one-time code that the vendor accepts, isn't the idea of magnetic card swipes passé? There's the big push to move everything to Chip&PIN, so eventually all the swipe readers will be gone. Seems like an odd standard to push now. Five years ago, maybe... But in the long run, Apple and Google will dominate with their NFC solutions, IMHO.

I think the advantage is that it can do NFC and traditional swipe with tokenized single use codes so that it is a single solution that will work EVERYWHERE now. Meanwhile Apple Pay and Google wallet need to wait for NFC adoption to spread and for merchants to activate it.

I think the advantage is that it can do NFC and traditional swipe with tokenized single use codes so that it is a single solution that will work EVERYWHERE now. Meanwhile Apple Pay and Google wallet need to wait for NFC adoption to spread and for merchants to activate it.

I haven't tried adding my debit card to Apple Pay, but I wonder if it will just work as any credit card.

The manager at Wallgreens told me that CC transactions do not require a signature for NFC Apple Pay. But all pharmacy purchases regardless of amount or Apple pay require a signature, including debit cards.

I don't have a debit card feature on my CC because I don't have a checking account for the debit to come from. But, I'd bet the cards I got and cut up from the bank I have my checking account are indeed dual purpose. I just never used them. I still get asked by the clerk because they get into the habit of asking everybody with plastic so they can push the right key on the register.

I'm having issue using Apple Pay with Best Buy app.
I checkout using Apple Pay using id touch and red flags my contact info (email and phone #).
Frustrating

BJ's claims they accept Apple Pay and now have the new machines, but the BJ's Mastercard still doesn't work. I sent the bank a secure mail and got a response back that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. When I asked at the store if it is working yet the clerk said nobody has used them yet. Typical, I guess, new things take time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)