Apple WWDC 2012

I have the best wife in the world...

I am guessing she was reading this thread as when I got home she told me not to bug her about ordering a new laptop. This morning I was looking at the new Retna Macbook and she saw me and asked me which one I liked. I picked the cheaper one and said my answer surprised her as she figured I would want the extra space and the faster CPU (which she was correct about but I didn't tell her that.) anyways after a few second she said "Well I ordered you the more expensive one because I figured that was what you wanted, Happy Fathers day!"

I almost fell over!

She also ordered one for my son who is graduating high school. It was decided a few weeks ago we would be ordering him a new laptop for his graduation present from us, and now he is getting the best as well.

I just ordered 2 Magsafe to Magsafe 2 converters so I can continue to use my old power supplies. :) MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter - Apple Store (U.S.) In addition I ordered a Thunderbold Gigabit ethernet adapter. (They didnt have the Thunderbold Firewire adapter yet listed)

So within 5 days the new laptop should (hopefully) be here. :D

BTW did I say that I have the best wife in the world?

Thank you, Scott and Eva. Apple stock holders love you guys! :D

I'm happy with my Ipad3 and the new Verizon Share everything Plan is a great gift for me too.

I hope apple allows google map on IOS devices.

Google maps is way ahead of apple. Their street view is great.

I sure hope apple can catch up with google map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoogleMaps on iOS have sucked. Apple has used them up until now.

I have been using the new Apple Maps from iOS 6 and have been amazed how good a job they have done with it! I do think however there will be a seperate Google Maps app by google.

Scott I look forward to your review of the retina display on the macbook. I am really curious how many programs will be able to take advantage of it, and how web pages will look on non-retinized devices.

GoogleMaps on iOS have sucked.
Really? I found the iPad one to be more than adequate. I like how it gives you alternative routes from the start, as opposed to the Android version which doesn't seem to. Maybe there is an easy way to get alternates but it isn't like iOS where you get them as soon as you ask for directions.

I've been working with the latest version of Google Earth and it is amazing what you can do with it from a video project perspective. You can animate tours with 3D perspective views and animate them, switch in actual photo of the area and travel along the photographic panorama but this is only a 2D view. Cities have complete 3D images of the buildings including fountains in parks that the water flows and everything. I just did a video of a road tour from Las Vegas strip up to Valley of Fire and through the park. The detail in 3D is mind blowing. Comparing to my actual 3D stereography it is a very close match. If Apple has to catch up with that they have quite a task ahead of them. The FREE version of Google Earth doesn't allow recording video but it does render to full high definition and from there I can do my own conversion to a video file for inclusion in my edit. Love it! The first tier level of the software that adds many more features including hidef video file output recording is $399. Other packages go up from there.

Was at an apple store today, the 15" pro was interesting, still quite large compared with the Air; and the retina screen was incredibly sharp; but I noticed two things 1) The default text size is even smaller than on the existing macs, and 2) graphics that are not "retinized" were certainly of less quality as I suspected. That said, some images from the NY Times were incredibly sharp. Looks like an interesting machine, but out of my price range, and for me no need for it in a 15" form-factor.

Got my new Macbook Pro with Retna Display today...

Wow what a difference in video quality (I have my 2011 Macbook pro sitting side by side with the new one.)

Just did a hard drive test. Below are the results.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 12.23.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 12.23.22 PM.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 103
Here is the difference in boot speeds.

[youtube]ESpjONc_ZU8[/youtube]

The machine on the left is a 2011 Macbook Pro with 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 Processor, and 8GB of Ram. The one on the right is the new Macbook Pro Retina 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7 Processor and 8 GB of ram.

People have already been asking me what I will be doing with the old one... its already spoken for, as my wife is giving it to her father.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts