Apple's 4th-generation iPhone revealed

We had a project at work to enable the iPhone to access our email system. Once the people requesting found out that the phone would be locked down so they would not be able to use it for music, movies or access the app store the project was stopped as fast as it was started.

You lost me. Why would there bea need to lock down the phone? How dows preventing it from playing music help you. Many corporations allow Iphone access to email but i have never heard of any doing this.

So how does not letting the owner listen to muic do that. He is still walking around with corporate data. He just can't use the same device to listen to music. Do you stop them from making phone calls with it too ? Greater control does not necessarily mean increased security.

Again if that really makes you feel more secure go ahead. Bit many corporations and government agencies allow them to be used for email and still allow people to sue them for other purposes-----and I know a lot of iPhone users who have not attached them to their home PCs in ages.

OK if it makes your company feel more secure they can go ahead. But it is still faulty logic.

You guys forget that the orginial holder, before it was sold to Gizmodo, tried to contact apple to return it. According to Gizmodo (and apple doesn't deny it) Apple said it was a clone and refused to accept it, It was then sold to Gizmodo. Once Giz published the photo's apple changed their tune and sent gizmodo a letter wanting to know where to pickup the phone and claimed that it was indeed theirs. Gizmodo returned the phone, and then apple decided to have the editors home raided. This is nothing more than apple flexing their muscle and I hope that Gizmodo, in conjunction with Chen sues the hell out of apple. Apple already lost one lawsuit over bloggers posting apples trade secrets.

Also apple is the one who is to blame as it was their employee who made the screw up, not gizmodo.

sue Apple for what? Seems to me their beef is with the police, not Apple. Now if Apple sues them then yes, that would be silly. Apple would need to show damages and then the fault of the expose lies with an Apple employee. I don't think Apple can sue for a person exercising his freedom of speech. So I have to ask you, Bob sue Apple for what? and what would Apple sue Gizmodo for?

What all this sounds like is another case of ignorant cops overstepping their bounds.

sue Apple for what? Seems to me their beef is with the police, not Apple. Now if Apple sues them then yes, that would be silly. Apple would need to show damages and then the fault of the expose lies with an Apple employee. I don't think Apple can sue for a person exercising his freedom of speech. So I have to ask you, Bob sue Apple for what? and what would Apple sue Gizmodo for?

What all this sounds like is another case of ignorant cops overstepping their bounds.

YES, ignorant cops overstepping, you will not hear me disputing that; the real question though, is what prompted the San Mateo District Attorney to seek the search warrant in the first place? I think the clear implication is that the Cupertino kings of secrecy - ahem... that fruity company - put pressure to go after Gizmodo.

Regardless of this, the real issues here are first amendment under freedom of the press.

what prompted the San Mateo District Attorney to seek the search warrant in the first place?

Apple claimed a law was broken and the DA felt he had a case, or would try to make one. The DA could have told Apple no law was broken, or to go sue in civil court. Instead, the DA chose to make a big deal over this and now we enter the gray area of 1st Amendment violations by the DA / cops, but all Apple did was to press charges of a crime they thought was committed.

Apple is on the REACT board which is the police devision that raided his house and kicked down his door.

That spells conflict of interest to me big time by Apple and by the Police.

Apple is knee-deep in this sh!t. This for example
Apple May Have Traced iPhone to Finder’s Address | Threat Level | Wired.com
People identifying themselves as representing Apple last week visited and sought permission to search the Silicon Valley address of the college-age man who came into possession of a next-generation iPhone prototype, according to a person involved with the find.
Also, it wasn't a secret. So, the theory of Apple playing (being?) dumb and claiming it's a fake is very plausible
News of Apple’s lost iPhone prototype hit the web like a bombshell, but it was apparently an open secret for weeks amongst the finder’s roommates and neighbors...
So, Apple first remotely killed the handset then traced it to the owner's address, made a stink what national security threat this represents and sent the cops...

Of course, Apple is innocent! How can Gods be guilty?

Diogen.

DailyTech - Police Find iPhone Thief; Wired Reveals it Turned Down Scoop

Wired decided that it would be illegal to pay for the iPhone and turned down the offer:

On March 28 Wired.com reportedly received an unbelievable email claiming that a tipster had obtained a misplaced fourth generation iPhone. According to the site, they entered a brief discussion about coverage on the device. The discussion quickly terminated though when the source start hinting he wanted money. Wired declined to buy possibly stolen property and thus walked away from the year's biggest tech scoop.

Someone at Wired recognized it for what it was: someone else's property. The proper course would have been for the finder to turn it over to the police, not try to sell it to tech sites.

Although all this is water under the bridge, I don't believe for a moment that others ever thought about this whole activity as buying stolen property.
They were afraid to end up the laughing stock of the industry for paying for a Chinese knockoff of an iPhone.

It is very nice NOW to show your righteousness as a law abiding player...

Diogen.

Which doesn't change the fact that the person who found the phone probably broke the law.

The person who found the IPhone stole it. What the police were looking for is evidence that Engadget put this individual up to the thievery. As I understand it he went to the bathroom and left the Iphone at the table. When he came back the item was gone. If the computer shows that Engadget was somehow envloved then their will be jail time.

PS this can also be a stunt by apple to help sell the next IPHONE. Apple is great at letting secrets go out in a timely marketing fashion.

PS this can also be a stunt by apple to help sell the next IPHONE. Apple is great at letting secrets go out in a timely marketing fashion.
Just last week you claimed it's a fake and you have seen the iPhone 4G...
It is a fake. How can you tell? Apple will never have user replacement batteries. The fourth generation IPHONE I saw had a bigger screen. This is a Chinese knockoff that can be bought today.

So, which is it?

Diogen.

The person who found the IPhone stole it. What the police were looking for is evidence that Engadget put this individual up to the thievery. As I understand it he went to the bathroom and left the Iphone at the table. When he came back the item was gone. If the computer shows that Engadget was somehow envloved then their will be jail time.

Explain to me why the police are trying to prove Engadget is behind this? I thought it was Chen and Gizmodo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)