Apple’s working on a high-definition video network?

Here's a brief article about apple's entry into the blu-ray association. Blu-ray burners will soon be a staple on apple computers. Dell and HP are also members (before apple) so expect the drives there too. I think apple is positioning themselves towards prosumers and the new hd cameras, as well as towards professionals who create content for the studios.

http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=2001

tujumaster said:
I don't think that Apple is actually considering launching an HD service or satellite. Even though Apple has expressed interest in HD, Apple has not expressed interest in the TV industry. That's not to say that Apple won't be in that position at a latter time, but that Jobs does not feel he can win in a pissing match with the Cable giants who do control most of the TV.

You're confusing something: Apple is heavily interested in marketing its own HD editing solution, the FCP Pro. That doesn't mean anything for HD, 'en masse'.

Unrelated to the topic would seem to be T2k, which is obviously harboring a lot of resentment towards Apple.

Well, not exactly Apple but rather towards its dispecable lying head.

Whoever invented the technology is a mute issue. The issue at hand is what position Apple will play in HD. You may dispute numbers all you want but the simple fact is, Apple software apps are the preferred solution for networks looking to edit video content.

It's simply NOT TRUE WHATSOEVER. Anywhere I go I see Avid and AVid runs way better on PC since some 2 years now - even the blindedst Mac fans are moving to PC, due to numerous problems on Mac platform.

Apple is ABLSOLUTELY NOT the choice of big networks. FCP is typically the choice of freelancers, college dudes and such editors.

The only movie has been edited on FCP is Cold Mountain so far - everything else being cut on Avid.

Certainly Apple never invented the DVD Recorder. They were the first, however, to offer a choice that the general consumer could use without a college degree.

Since when a Compaq Presario required a degree to use it?

I am the first tto admit that one of the big advantage of OS X is the great way as it simplifies even the most difficult task - but please, do not exaggerate this into silly statements...

They did not invent the wireless network, but they made it easy for the rest of us.

Even better: Apple was WAAAAYYYY behind PC wireless world - the G standard was already on the market when Apple announced it with loud fanfares, saying 'Again! We are giving you the future' and Mac fans cheered and smiled, whereas rest of the world were laughing their asses off how ridiculously blind and clueless is Jobs' hardcore fanbase.

Also, firewire is networkable, but it's use is now in the form it is now.

Obviously you didn't get what I was referring to, so I don't want to reflect to this marketing phrase in any form... :p

Remember, everytime you use a drop down Window in a bitmap environment, you are borrowing from PARC, GEM, Mac, Lisa, etc.

No. Please, exclude Mac and Lisa - it's PARC.

Lastly, Voom does use Apple's to edit the video using Final Cut.

Interesting - where did you get this?

According to Sanbolic, Voom uses MelioFS on its SAN for shared FS - which is Windows-only.
Read on: http://www.sanbolic.com/pdfs/SharedSANforHDVideo.pdf

Scotty said:
Here's a brief article about apple's entry into the blu-ray association. Blu-ray burners will soon be a staple on apple computers. Dell and HP are also members (before apple) so expect the drives there too. I think apple is positioning themselves towards prosumers and the new hd cameras, as well as towards professionals who create content for the studios.

http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=2001

You're confused again: this time over codec/algorithm and computer platforms.

The two have nothing to do with each other. H.264 and VC-1 are all licensable algorithms, no such thing one runs on only one platform or vica versa. In other words codecs have nothing to do where Apple wants to position itself.

Hey, whattayaknow folks, 'ignore list' works! What remains seems to be more pertinent to the subject line of this thread. As I suggested elsewhere, if anyone wants to carry on discussion of the merits of WMP and/or Microsoft's position and HD strategy, that's fine (I plan on checking out their booth at NAB in a couple of weeks, actually), but perhaps start your own thread on that subject and see who follows...

Quote from Sean: Let's act civil. We can all make good points and keep the discussio

Thank you Sean!

I would also like to add my voice to the call for civility especially to T2K. T2K you seem to know a lot about computers. You also seem to hate Macintosh products. I do not claim to have your knowledge of computers. I actually have both Macs and PCs and like using both. Despite the fact that my level of computer knowlege does not match yours, I dare say that PCs have certain advantages and Macs have certain advantages. I am happy that they both exist (as are most people I'm sure). Whenever you express an opinion you always have add an insult with it. As if anyone who would dare to disaggree with you must be mentally deficient. Of course some folks have unfortunately responded to you in kind (with insults). But, unless I have missed something over the past few days, I believe that you have initiated the vitriol. I saw a post by you on another thread (not related to Macs) in which you told someone that their theory or opinion was lame. I also believe that you have some valuable inputs that I would like to read and learn from. But can you leave the insults out of it please!!!!!!! It greatly dilutes the impact of what you say. To the other members: The best way to respond to someone who can't make a point without trying to insult someone else's intelligence, worth or right to disaggree, is not to respond at all. Thank you!

Wayne

I wholeheartedly agree, Sean. That's why I get incendiary when folks jump into a thread not for constructive discussion, but for bashing kicks. I started the thread on this topic over at AVS and have watched it get hijacked there and here by such childish antics to the point I couldn't help but speak up about it.

I hope from here on out it's adult talk.

Seeing "my favorite companies" merge would be neat, but I doubt it'll happen simply because up until iTMS, it's *very rare* for apple to hook up with any sort of "service" -- though it'd be neat to have apple dishes :]

Shoot, if they did that I'd be getting an HD setup -- maybe they'd be putting 1394 ports on their boxes (which I haven't seen on a single satellite box yet) -- that'd rawk.. use the box as a DV input and watch tv from my desktop :)

T2k said:
... and also include the latest bang for the bucks which really leaves now everybopdy in the dust, the Dell 24" 2405FPW - when I spoke to my rep he said TV/film/post businesses buy this like crazy.
No wonder: it's the same like the top one, the HP L2335 but has better response time (12ms) some extras and a bomb-like price: $1199... (minus coupons ;))

Argh. Another $25 an hour know-it-all "tech" guy with thinning greasy hair and hatred for all systems he doesn't know (and particularly the Mac). As I said, you got to get out more.

Don't have time to enlighten you (and nothing would), but if you have actually seen the Apple 23" and the Dell 2405FPW, you would know that the 2405FPW, while a very decent monitor, has a very narrow viewing angle and will noticeably change color unless you are looking at it dead center. Not great if you work with color....

The Dell is aimed at a different market (gamers), where speed and price are more important than color fidelity.

Go take a walk, have a drink and relax. Such hatred for a computer is not healthy :D

GreatMac said:
Argh. Another $25 an hour know-it-all "tech" guy with thinning greasy hair and hatred for all systems he doesn't know (and particularly the Mac). As I said, you got to get out more.

:rolleyes:
Ouch. Are serious YOU are talking about $25 an hour guy, afterf your first post? Jeee...
(I'm thinking about forwarding this link to my guys (work for my dept) here - I'm sure they gonna have a helluva lot of fun... :D)

Don't have time to enlighten you (and nothing would),

Of course, you dont have time - you are still clueless WHY every test, every broadcast company favors the HP L2335 and why most knowledgeable folks now stay away from Apple Displays at all...
Business as usual: lot of confidence, way less knowledge. Typical illustrator-style... :p

but if you have actually seen the Apple 23"

FYI: I did use it. I never talk out of my bottom part, unlike other folks.

and the Dell 2405FPW, you would know that the 2405FPW, while a very decent monitor, has a very narrow viewing angle and will noticeably change color unless you are looking at it dead center. Not great if you work with color....

LOL! :D
You apparently didn't even bother sharpen yourself up on the subject... it's still way less worst then the well-known, famous and scared 'pink-corner' plague of the Cinema Displays, not to mention its often unbalanced colors, casting, black/white point problems etc.

Are you complaining about the cheap Dell's color consistency? ROFL: color-wise the Apple Cinema Display is one of the most problematic LCD - it's like a gamble whether you'll get some bad series or a good one... but the panels are the same like other - so how could this happen? You know how?

BAD, BAD, BAD DESIGN. CLASSIC EXAMPLE WHEN STUPID FASHION DESIGNERS HAVE THE LAST WORD OVER ENGINEERS.
CLASSIC EXAMPLE FOR APPLE.

Read on, warrior:

http://www.digitaladvisor.com/compu...nch-hd-flat-panel-display_reviews-browse.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/apple_al_cinema_displays.html

and the MacDaddy of the color probles of ACD:

http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/bugs/hd23.html

Cinema Display just as much as home/prosumer setup like the Dell one - the difference is latter cost half the price and sports 10x more features, including 3 HD inputs etc.

Read first - I'm not a 'doing-some'image-manipulation' guy. (If you ask me nice, I may will arrange tour in our facility - though strictly guided by my guys, of course, being sure you don't touch anything. :p)

The Dell is aimed at a different market (gamers), where speed and price are more important than color fidelity.

Cinema Display is not even gets close to color fidelity, stop embarrasing yourself. Same level like Dell or HP, although HP is way superior if you want to use it for broadcast quality job.
My sense telss me you don't even know why it isn't actually important in a broadcast facility, so I'll help you out: in professional environment *NOBODY RELIES ON HIS EYES*, fella. We have this magical, mysterious device, called WF/VS and you can tell - OK, not your but somebody who knows what I'm talking about - whether your signal/color is OK or not.
Besides this our book/dtp teams (about a dozen illustrators) only get CRTs - because they are still superior over any LCD (except $5-10K high-end ones perhaps), not to mention your Cinema Display.
As I said: it's not a Soho-business, so we don't use Cinema Displays - I don't gamble here. :)

Go take a walk, have a drink and relax. Such hatred for a computer is not healthy :D

No hatred here, not at all - I simply dislike when trolls (FYI: I'm not talking about not you) and amateurs/prosumers try to disinform the public.
You can call me anything, it doesn't really bother me - my last year budget was in M range and it's not a big Co, still SMB market (~50 emplys) - but next time back up your claim with factual data.

Because, in case you haven't noticed, I do backup my claims, always with facts - unlike you.

Have a good night, I'm heading home. :cool:

Wayne88 said:
Thank you Sean!

I would also like to add my voice to the call for civility especially to T2K.

FYI: I asked Sean to intervene before shane-guy gets out of control.

T2K you seem to know a lot about computers. You also seem to hate Macintosh products.

:rolleyes: Suuuure.
Did you notice the part where I stated I am a dual G5 users?

I do not claim to have your knowledge of computers. I actually have both Macs and PCs and like using both. Despite the fact that my level of computer knowlege does not match yours, I dare say that PCs have certain advantages and Macs have certain advantages.

Exactly what I'm saying.

I am happy that they both exist (as are most people I'm sure). Whenever you express an opinion you always have add an insult with it.

In case you haven't noticed: I never start these.

Also interesting that when some people with mediocre or lower knowledge start with "I'm laughing at him" part, none of you raised concerns about insulting me...

As if anyone who would dare to disaggree with you must be mentally deficient.

Absolutely not. It's simply about facts: check back, I always line up some facts behind my stance.

Of course some folks have unfortunately responded to you in kind (with insults). But, unless I have missed something over the past few days, I believe that you have initiated the vitriol.

Well, it's about the fact that I dislike when people start the usual enthusiastic pro-Apple mission under a topic title about possible HD network.

I saw a post by you on another thread (not related to Macs) in which you told someone that their theory or opinion was lame. I also believe that you have some valuable inputs that I would like to read and learn from. But can you leave the insults out of it please!!!!!!! It greatly dilutes the impact of what you say.

Fine by me. Please take great care aof everybody in regards of insults.

To the other members: The best way to respond to someone who can't make a point without trying to insult someone else's intelligence, worth or right to disaggree, is not to respond at all.

Well, it's not what I meant...

Just check my last msg: despite his disgusting opening style, I replied GreatMac pretty toned down - even despite his obvious shortcomings on the subject...

shanewalker said:
Sorry folks, try this link (don't know why the CNN-tagged url was bogus):

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/art...1037197,00.html

Title of the article is "What's next for Apple?" by Paul Sloan, dated 3/23 on the Business 2.0 site. Also, just for a hoot, look at their photo-essay (product mock-ups, incl. iHome concepting).

And Steve over at AVS provides this link...

http://dms.tecknohost.com/macrumors/i/ihome/

Enjoy.

I read that a while ago - IIRC it technically says the same thing I did: Apple itself is way too small to do anything.

T2k said:
:rolleyes:
Ouch. Are serious YOU are talking about $25 an hour guy, afterf your first post? Jeee......

Because, in case you haven't noticed, I do backup my claims, always with facts - unlike you....

Man, you sat on a pencil or something? :D You live in a weird world... in a back room somewhere.

Don't know where you get your ideas (haven't seen any facts, appart from a few posts by some other nerds !sadroll ), but a lot of big houses use Apple PCs and Apple Monitors where appropriate. One of the most common remote color-proofing systems is based on those (used by Donnelly, the largest commercial printer in the world, among others). So, chill out and go back to playing Doom 3 on your Dell.

And yes, good industrial design is a good thing, and may cost a bit more (or you are going to tell us that BMW is a piece of c**p compared to your Camaro).

BTW, the people designing those things are called "industrial designers", not "fashion designers". I guess you wouldn't know what either is :D

But there is hope - at least you like Voom:))) It's a start.... and we all love you for it :love

GreatMac said:
Man, you sat on a pencil or something? :D You live in a weird world... in a back room somewhere.

Don't know where you get your ideas (haven't seen any facts, appart from a few posts by some other nerds !sadroll ), but a lot of big houses use Apple PCs and Apple Monitors where appropriate.

Yeah, for example on managerial browser machines. :D

Save the BS, I know very well Random House/Doubleday, how utterly clueless was most of their people when our first book came out... we were shocked that the world's biggest publisher's managers are totally clueless about basic proofing, everything - and this whole mambojambo is actually ridiculously easy and simple...
No wonder most of the illustrators are clueless when it comes to real technical knowledge...

One of the most common

common - what does it mean here, kid? Commonly used or most known or... I don't like when somebody can't speak clearly...

remote color-proofing systems is based on those (used by Donnelly, the largest commercial printer in the world, among others). So, chill out and go back to playing Doom 3 on your Dell.

Oh, no... riot in the Sesame Street... :rolleyes:

What's up, did you read something somewhere? Should I notice you still couldn't come up ANYTHING against my links?
FYI: our mid-size printer is in ~30K range - and it's only for in-house marketing, so chill out, little kid, you haven't seen anything, that's why you don't know anything. :D

Get a life and you'll see wonders, believe me. :p

Besides you're simply unable to make a distinction between the Dell one and the HP one. Why?
Why?
I explicitly said L2335 about 10 times yet you don't even want to mention it... kinda obvious why, don't you think? ;)
:D

And yes, good industrial design is a good thing, and may cost a bit more (or you are going to tell us that BMW is a piece of c**p compared to your Camaro).

Yayyy, oh, no... not again... ooouuuuch...

...the good-ol' usual, retarded Mac car-analogy... I imagine somebody came up with this crap years ago on some Mac forum and that's why all these kids are keep repeating this mantra...
(Eh, lack of own slogan...
OT: I often noticed the least creative people always buy Macs when they want to appear as 'creatives', because 'that's the creative way'... :D)

The problem is. young friend, the Apple Cinema Display here is nothing more than Hyundai, if the HP is a BMW.

BTW, the people designing those things are called "industrial designers", not "fashion designers". I guess you wouldn't know what either is :D

:confused:

Oh, no... you can't be serious... you REALLY didn't get what the 'fashion' stands for? :eek::eek::eek:

Jeees. :D :D

I quit - there's a level I'm not going to go...

PS: how interesting that you couldn't back up anything of your claim nor comment on my links, facts... just as I thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts