Apple’s working on a high-definition video network?

T2k said:
PS: how interesting that you couldn't back up anything of your claim nor comment on my links, facts... just as I thought.

This is getting tiring, but here we go again:

I did comment on your links - see my comment about :a few posts by some other nerds". Your links are to some mixed reviews on Amazon (some loved it, some were complaining Apple's monitor is not great for games, some don't like the return policy, etc.) Hardly the stuff for a large business to base purchase decisions on. The fact that you trust the guy posting on Amazon that there are better for monitors for gaming, over Doubleday and Donnelly is very telling about where your head is (in a worm, dark place :D ).

The comments about the "pink" problem, which was present in an early batch of these, specifically states that graphic pros are much more likely to notice the slight hue shift than the general public, which tells you what the market for the Apples is. I have several of these, without any "pink" issues.

Now go cut your nose hairs or something. :haha

GreatMac, I see you've been sucked into the black vortex. Don't you get that even though you obviously have a range of experience in graphic design/pre-print and the technology used by thousands of likewise professionals, it doesn't 'merit' in some folks eyes. I have a list a mile long of data and first-hand experience that would refute some of the techno-biggotry posted here, but it's just not worth the time/effort...and it's off-topic.

I will say that our lead 3-D artist (PC user all the way, Max, render farm, etc.) did a side-by-side between the top-end Sony flat panel and Apple's for a couple of days and chose the Apple. Why? Superior viewing angle and color fidelity. And he has to deal with some peculiar inherent Max/Windows/vid card high resolution bit-mapping/anti-aliasing issues, so it was important for him to be able to model to a high degree of comfort and accuracy on the LCD.

BTW, the "What's Next for Apple?" Business 2.0 article is now a featured link on CNet.com.

GreatMac said:
This is getting tiring, but here we go again:

I did comment on your links - see my comment about :a few posts by some other nerds". Your links are to some mixed reviews on Amazon (some loved it, some were complaining Apple's monitor is not great for games, some don't like the return policy, etc.) Hardly the stuff for a large business to base purchase decisions on. The fact that you trust the guy posting on Amazon that there are better for monitors for gaming, over Doubleday and Donnelly is very telling about where your head is (in a worm, dark place :D ).

Just as I said: silly little DTP techinician kid, with zero knowledge whatsoever.

Thank you - you just made my point again. :cool:

The comments about the "pink" problem, which was present in an early batch of these, specifically states that graphic pros are much more likely to notice the slight hue shift than the general public, which tells you what the market for the Apples is. I have several of these, without any "pink" issues.

Or you just too amateur even to notice it? ROFLMAO! :D

Now go cut your nose hairs or something. :haha

Yeah, sure, sure - primitive low-level comments are always the sign of the lack of solid knowledge...:cool:;)

Okay... I don't have a dog in the Mac/PC wars let alone what is the best equipment for high-end publishing or movie-editing. (For the record I use low-end Windows systems for my day-to-day of email, web, word-processing, and occasional consumer-grade audio editing.)

However... surely it is obvious that Apple (for better or worse) has had several marketing/PR coups in the last couple of years which have given them a certain "coolness" factor in the marketplace? Whether or not the products themselves are superior is moot (not "mute") if the perception of a large number of the shopping public believes it to be so. If anything, this thread proves this: there are many people who are die-hard Mac/Apple fans. There are many other die-hard iPod and iTunes fans out there too.

In this case, an Apple HD distribution network might not be the first, and might not even be the best. But with a slick implementation at a low pricepoint, if they could "iTune" a broadband distribution system that could make them a lot of $.

And if it helps the future of HD then I would consider that a good thing.

CDH.

CDH said:
Okay... I don't have a dog in the Mac/PC wars let alone what is the best equipment for high-end publishing or movie-editing. (For the record I use low-end Windows systems for my day-to-day of email, web, word-processing, and occasional consumer-grade audio editing.)

However... surely it is obvious that Apple (for better or worse) has had several marketing/PR coups in the last couple of years which have given them a certain "coolness" factor in the marketplace? Whether or not the products themselves are superior is moot (not "mute") if the perception of a large number of the shopping public believes it to be so. If anything, this thread proves this: there are many people who are die-hard Mac/Apple fans. There are many other die-hard iPod and iTunes fans out there too.

In this case, an Apple HD distribution network might not be the first, and might not even be the best. But with a slick implementation at a low pricepoint, if they could "iTune" a broadband distribution system that could make them a lot of $.

And if it helps the future of HD then I would consider that a good thing.

CDH.

Thank you CDH,

I think that's the point most people on this thread intended to express. I had no idea that my original post complimenting Apple would cause such a stir. Had I known this, I would have placed a disclaimer in my post stating that reading it might cause all hell to break loose. :shocked I have taken note of this occurrence and will supply said disclaimer in future posts. ;)

Likewise CDH, and apologies to everyone for this thread getting off track. I was especially frustrated because I started a similar thread about Apple's HDTV initiative a few days prior to this one's beginning and it got similarly derailed by platform wars.

Hopefully the discussion can be more productive from here on out.

On CNet this morning:

Hollywood seeks iTunes for film

Published: March 30, 2005, 5:22 PM PST

By Stefanie Olsen
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment is trying to develop and own the next iTunes--but for films.

"We want to set business models, pricing models, distribution models like (Apple Computer CEO Steve) Jobs did for music, but for the film industry," Michael Arrieta, senior vice president of Sony Pictures, said at the Digital Hollywood conference here.

"I'm trying to create the new 'anti-Napster,'" he added.

To that end, Arrieta said, his group plans to digitize Sony Pictures' top 500 films and make them available for the first time in various digital environments within the next year. He said the distribution for films like "Spider-Man 2" will go beyond just Movielink, the video-on-demand joint venture of Sony Pictures and several other major studios, which to date has hosted a limited library of Sony's movies.

For example, Sony plans to sell and make films available in flash memory for mobile phones in the next year, Arrieta said. It also will further develop its digital stores for downloading and owning films on the PC, he said in an interview.

Sony's plans--and similar moves by other studios--are likely to avoid empowering any one technology company--such as Apple in the music equation--and allow studios to pocket more of the profits. The philosophy in Hollywood is "Define your own agenda or someone else will for you."

Equally important is trying to avoid the rampant digital theft in peer-to-peer communities that the music industry has suffered, media executives say.

At the Digital Hollywood conference--a three-day event that began Wednesday--media executives including Arrieta ruminated on ongoing hurdles to giving consumers access to unlimited films, TV shows and multimedia on a range of devices, anywhere at anytime.

They agreed that issues surrounding digital rights management, consumer adoption, and simple and compatible consumer electronics remained bottlenecks in the industry.

Still, Hollywood is working with technologists to help deliver the promise of the "digital home" more than ever before, according to entertainment executives. It's just that the two sides may still be speaking different languages.

"The plumbing of IT is converging," said Adam Bain, vice president of technology and production at Fox Sports Interactive. "But there are so many different devices the trends are of a divergent nature."

Advertising's future
Media executives during the "Digital Home" panel also discussed the future of 30-second TV commercials in a digital environment that lets consumers skip over the ads.

Charles Swartz, executive director and CEO of the University of Southern California's Entertainment Technology Center, said that because ads are the most effective sales tool ever invented, they will not disappear. But, he said, there's an opportunity to customize and target the ads to people's homes with advanced technology.

"Commercials aren't dead; they'll just get more interactive and effective," said Shahid Khan, managing director of Bearingpoint, an entertainment consulting firm. "But someone has to figure out how to better measure this animal."

Whatever the case, entertainment, advertising and technology will increasingly meld into a seamless product, executives say, and it remains to be seen who will be the powerbroker. Sony Pictures, whose parent company develops a wide range of consumer electronics, reiterated that it's trying to set its own agenda for new entertainment distribution.

"The future is about creating an entertainment ecosystem," in which players, platforms, content rights and the user interface are fluid, Arrieta said. The industry's "in a transition period, but there's a high-level dialog (with technology partners) going on now."

"Still, Hollywood is working with technologists to help deliver the promise of the "digital home" more than ever before, according to entertainment executives. It's just that the two sides may still be speaking different languages."

That's what I pointed out earlier - studios are not interested in somthing which ruins their other business incomes.

Story summarizing UBS research posted yesterday on 'AppleInsider.com':

Tuesday, April 5, 2005

Research firm hints at possible Apple innovations

By Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal
Published: 03:00 PM EST

In a research note released to clients on Tuesday, UBS Investment Research offered a preview of Apple's second quarter earnings while analyzing some potential innovations it expects from the company over the next two years.

For the recently ended fiscal quarter, UBS estimates that Apple will earn 23 cents per share on revenue growth of 67% year-over-year to $3.2B. However, the firm notes that these estimates are conservative, suggesting Apple will likely post slightly higher figures when it reports its 2Q05 earnings on April 13th.

"Our checks indicate that perhaps the biggest issue during fiscal 2Q05 and into this month is sales of new PowerBooks are being adversely impacted by problematic trackpads," the firm said. "Apple is remedying this issue with longer lead times, a "quick fix" on its website and increased service calls. However, we believe that upside in other segments more than make up for the PowerBook issues."

Analysts Ben Reitzes and Jeff Brickman said new products from Apple could bring more photo and video management features, which could expand iTunes software and the iPod form factor beyond origins in music. "As evidenced by the iPod Photo, we believe iTunes can be expanded not only to manage digital photo libraries, but also video or movie downloads with even a video service emulating the iTunes Music Store," the analysts said. "As a result, we believe an expanded and free iTunes download represents a "Trojan Horse" into Windows-based PC’s, expanding Apple’s appeal further and creating more switchers over time."

According to a series of recently performed checks, UBS said Apple's future product developments and innovations could possibly include: more innovation around photo-capable iPods; multimedia iPods; a digital media hub; and even an iTunes-like movie/video download service.

In the research note, the analysts detailed their expectations for each of these possible innovations in an attempt to address public speculation about what directions Apple may be headed.

iPod photo Features Could Become Standard

The analysts believe that iPod photo-like features will eventually become standard in hard disk-based iPods as color screen prices fall and battery technologies improve.

"Apple continues to build-out its imaging ecosystem in a similar fashion as with what the company was able to accomplish with music," the analysts said. For example, they cite Apple's recently introduced $29 camera connector, which offers a cheaper alternative to purchasing additional memory in order to save pictures when on the go. The analysts said digital camera owners may begin to see the iPod photo as a compelling accessory that can expand the capacity of their camera, in addition to aiding in the creation of portable digital photo albums.

UBS predicts Apple will update or expand its iPod photo product line prior to the holiday shopping season, lowering price points and possibly introducing a photo-capable flash-based model.

Multimedia iPod Could Still Be Possible

Despite comments from Steve Jobs to the contrary, the firm said it wouldn’t be surprised if Apple eventually launched some form of a multimedia iPod. "Reports suggest that Apple is likely watching the reception for the video features in Sony’s PSP very carefully," the analysts wrote in the report. "We believe that real success for a video/movie capable iPod may need to come in conjunction with a new download service from Apple, that can easily put content into the device." They said such an Apple device would likely not surface until 2006, and if it did, it would need to retail for less than $500 and include a color screen akin to the PSP’s, at least 4-6 hours of battery life, and 60GB of storage.

Expect a Media Hub – a Gateway into the Digital Home

UBS also believes it's increasingly likely Apple will focus on becoming the center of the "digital home," saying by the end of 2005 the company could introduce a media hub that acts as a server and storage unit for music, movies, photos and other types of home entertainment.

"We believe Apple may be able to build upon its experience with iTunes to create a comparable service for motion content," the analysts wrote. "With Steve Jobs connections in entertainment, we doubt he will sit back and let this opportunity slip into the hands of a competitor."

While UBS in its recent report was unable to offer specifications of such a product, the firm did say that its checks indicate Apple is currently looking into development of a digital hub product that could hit the market by the end of the year.

iTunes For Movies?

Saying it believes the movie industry is in a similar position to the music industry of five years ago, UBS thinks there is "significant opportunity" for Apple to become the "thought leader" again with an iTunes for movies download service that could debut by the end of 2006.

"We believe that the iTunes model could work well with movies as download times improve," the analysts said. "Also, Steve Jobs may be one of the few industry executives that may be able to pull off an agreement that would be palatable to both the movie and consumer electronics industry."

Cell Phone or Wireless iPods

Touching on the recent controversy surrounding the Apple-Motorola iTunes phone (or lack thereof), UBS said it believes the cell phone market represents an exciting opportunity for Apple in terms of driving additional songs through iTunes; adding that any imposed licensing fees for iTunes would be lucrative for Apple. However, the firm believes the company must continue to innovate with iPod capabilities in order to fend against an eventual boom of hard-drive equipped cell phones that will be capable of playing music files and possibly making the iPod seem obsolete.

"We believe that it is more likely Apple is trying to figure out how to make a wireless iPod (perhaps using WiFi) to download music on the fly," the firm said. "This type of wireless iPod device is likely still on the drafting table, but could become a reality by the end of next year in our view."

While offering no guarantees, UBS said Apple is in a strong position to capitalize on current trends. "The dynamics in consumer entertainment seem to still be moving toward Apple and the company has an opportunity to expand its competitive advantage with its software," the firm said.

UBS believes Apple's software must play a key roll in moving forward, and estimates that each point of PC market share gained by the company will equate to about $2 billion in incremental Macintosh revenue. "The bottom line impact from each point of share would top $0.30 per share using incremental margin analysis," the firm said.

UBS maintained its "Buy" rating on Apple with a price objective of $50 a share. :cool:

Sneaking in under the radar, the latest Apple iTunes software update, v4.8, has quietly added video support. Coupled with the recently released Quicktime 7 (with the powerful H.264/MPEG-4 support built-in), this could spell the initial rumblings of new things about to emerge from Cupertino...

Originally sighted on www.appleinsider.com , quote:

<"iTunes 4.8 Plays QuickTime Movies

Apple today quietly released iTunes 4.8. According to the company, the software "includes new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod."

One feature Apple curiously failed to mention is video support. The new version is capable of not only storing, but also displaying QuickTime video content (picture 1, picture2, picture3).

New options built into the iTunes "Advanced" preference pane lets users choose whether they want video content to in "the main window," "a separate window," or "full screen."

Let the speculation begin...">

Here's a little pundit rant that posits Apple in a very pivotal position this week...i.e. the force for a new paradigm shift in movie/video distribution. Coupled with the iTunes news and some conspicious silence on the iHome rumors of late and we've got some chin-scratching to do.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050512.html

*Quick note to the mods: Should this thread be moved to a more appropriate location, like the "High Def Programming" Forum?

I still fail to see what's so revolutionary here... and as rumored, Jobs teamed with Sony - just as I said, one big player because alone Apple is really tiny, don't get fooled by the harsh, blatant marketing. ;)

The "Year of HD" is still rolling ahead. Went to the Chicago HD Expo last week, hosted at Columbia College, and the panel discussions were quite encouraging. Note one stat--the number of digital sets is expected to DOUBLE this year alone. That rise of an exponential curve spells the point of mass appeal/acceptance, don't you think? And the companies that appeal to the mass markets are finally settting to making their big moves...

More buzz about Apple and a video iTunes service, see this link:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1088

and pay attention to the second paragraph (the one that mentions Netflix). Interesting.

Also, an article in the new "Wired", entitled 'Discs are So Dead', (which portrays disc technology, even the new HD formats, as inherently more limited compared to online distribution) has the following blurb:

"And how about an iTunes for movies? Apple spokespeople say they "have the opportunity, but haven't announced anything yet." These are tectonic rumblings. Eventually, someone will build the sophisticated business plan and technology that will make getting hi-def movies online even easier..."

Hmmm. "Haven't ANNOUNCED anything yet."

With today's news of Apple announcing it's moving from IBM's PowerPC to Intel chips, comes this further punditry, via Wired news...

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,212....html?tw=mac.nn

Seems to validate (or at least confirm others having the same solid suspicions) the idea of Apple moving into media distribution and having serious interest in home entertainment devices.

Apple move's to Intel microprocessor has to do with improving the price/performance ratio. It has nothing to do with media distribution.

Walter L. said:
Apple move's to Intel microprocessor has to do with improving the price/performance ratio. It has nothing to do with media distribution.

Nope. I dare say you're wrong. The PowerPC chip was fine in that regards...Intel has the advantage of economies of scale, for sure, but the big prob was that IBM's microprocessor biz was not focussed on the chips that Apple needed (i.e. low-heat G5s). Apple just got tired of not getting what they wanted.

Also, I'll bet you a shiny nickel that there are several devices in the works at Apple that weighed in their decision--read the articles out there, they all point at Job's statements about "future products". Many would say these are the progeny of the iPod and the Mac Mini--media appliances, if you will. These devices will be served greatly by Intel's WiMax and embedded encryption/security technologies and the more universally adopted Intel API's for developers working on gadgets destined for a plug-and-play living room environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts