Are Flat Coax Cable Couplers Safe to Use with FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Just curious if flat coax cable couplers as shown in the attached thumbnail are generally considered ok to be used with FTA satellite setups. The reason I ask is that on account of its thin profile and flexibility, I'm sure that its insulation and shielding aren't nearly as good as typical coax cable, but on the plus side they're relatively short, so just thought I'd see if anyone has used these with an FTA setup and run into any problems as a result.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Flat-coaxial.jpg
    Flat-coaxial.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
I've used a couple of them before. they do work decent but if you keep opening & closing the door (mine was in a door jam) it flexes which ended up breaking off in the inside rather quickly.

They do work but I personally try to avoid them...(I just make a bigger hole to run more cables through) :D

Flat Cables

I have used them with success and I repeat what has been said, if you don't flex them very often they will last awhile!!

When I setup my very first FTA setup I used one of these because my setup was VERY temporary and I was using the flat section to duck the cable through a window that I didn't often open.

On the plus side, I didn't notice a bit of difference when I later removed that section from the system.

On the bad side - it made my window leak. Luckily, it doesn't rain much here but what was annoying was the 'air noise' which howled like a dog when the A/C cycled.

Last edited:
IA6Newspath said:
Just curious if flat coax cable couplers like this...

...are generally considered ok to be used with FTA satellite setups. The reason I ask is that on account of its thin profile and flexibility, I'm sure that its insulation and shielding aren't nearly as good as typical coax cable, but on the plus side they're relatively short, so just thought I'd see if anyone has used these with an FTA setup and run into any problems as a result.

Thanks!

Please post pictures as thumbnails THANKS!

Attachments

• Flat-coaxial.jpg
    Flat-coaxial.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 280
We have sold them and used them for FTA fine. Like ICEBERG said, if you have a high traffic door, then it may not last long and you should consider buying two or more.

I have seen and sold several models from this. The main differences are the wire inside and the ends.

Some come with a round then wire inside. So it is not really that flat, but thiner than a regular coax. The one we sell now have a flat wire inside, which make fit better in tight spaces.

I am currently using one in the washroom window under my dish farm to temporarily feed the house. This will be until we finish remodeling the interior due to Katrina damage. The FEMA trailer outside has its own feed from the dish farm, a 75-foot length of quad-shield coax that runs from my dish farm on a shed in back of the house up the side of the house and into the trailer in our front driveway :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)