Are FoxNews and Dish Even Talking?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So Fox rebranded channels and moved programming from other channels to these rebranded channels and now wants a lot more money for less programming

Simply not true. Fox has poured in many millions of dollars in new programming on FXX and sports rights for the two sports channels. FXX is for Gen Xers, and Fox paid an eye-popping $800+ million for The Simpsons re-runs. Sports Channel television rights are also expensive

This is strictly a business dispute and to pretend there is a "good guy" and a "bad guy" is ridiculous.

If Charlie had declared war on ESPN, I would have approved. I guess it all depends what you must have in your tv lineup. I wanted FNC and FBN, so I left.

I think it will be several weeks before there is an agreement. Too much bad blood between the parties.

Last edited:
Simply not true. Fox has poured in many millions of dollars in new programming on FXX and sports rights for the two sports channels.

This is strictly a business dispute and to pretend there is a "good guy" and a "bad guy" is ridiculous.

FXX is for Gen Xers, and Fox went out and paid an eye-popping $800+ million for The Simpsons re-runs. Sports Channel sports events are always expensive.

If Charlie had declared war on ESPN, I would be cheering him on, as I don't watch it. I guess it all depends what you must have in your tv lineup
If Charlie declared war on ESPN I would give up my very cheap dish everything package and pull all my Dish equipment out and switch to another provider.

Reactions: ChadT41
Just a matter of time until a channel,or channels go dark that someone really likes.Dish subscriber numbers are going to take a beating next report.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Simply not true. Fox has poured in many millions of dollars in new programming on FXX and sports rights for the two sports channels. FXX is for Gen Xers, and Fox paid an eye-popping $800+ million for The Simpsons re-runs. Sports Channel television rights are also expensive

If Charlie had declared war on ESPN, I would have approved. I guess it all depends what you must have in your tv lineup. I wanted FNC and FBN, so I left.

I think it will be several weeks before there is an agreement. Too much bad blood between the parties.

Really....Fox had already paid for most of that programming. They already had Big 12/Pac12 football and MLB on Fox and FX and UFC on Fuel, they just moved it to FS1 and offloaded most of the auto sports from Speed to FS2. They lost most of their Soccer rights and moved programming from FX to FXX. Who the hell pays 800 million for Simpsons reruns. This was nothing more than a re-branding with an internal programming shuffle.

Personally in the long run, I think Fox made the right move with FS1 and FS2, all they did to FX was further dilute the programming and viewership. FXX never should have been created. It should have died as FSC. Fox should honor their original contracts instead of wanting to go from 22cents a sub to over a $1 for FS1 (Speed). If the programming and ratings prove it to be popular, then they can go for the increases when the contracts are up.

Really....Fox had already paid for most of that programming. They already had Big 12/Pac12 football and MLB on Fox and FX and UFC on Fuel, they just moved it to FS1 and offloaded most of the auto sports from Speed to FS2. They lost most of their Soccer rights and moved programming from FX to FXX. Who the hell pays 800 million for Simpsons reruns. This was nothing more than a re-branding with an internal programming shuffle.

Personally in the long run, I think Fox made the right move with FS1 and FS2, all they did to FX was further dilute the programming and viewership. FXX never should have been created. It should have died as FSC. Fox should honor their original contracts instead of wanting to go from 22cents a sub to over a $1 for FS1 (Speed). If the programming and ratings prove it to be popular, then they can go for the increases when the contracts are up.

Wholeheartedly agree on FXX. And paying $800 million for some dusty old Simpson reruns?

I am not a Dish fanboy by any stretch - in fact, I am one of their strongest critics . . . but the more I hear about this whole situation, the more sympathetic I am to Ergen's position. Sounds like a bunch of BS which may be indirectly about the Hopper than anything else. FOX lost the lawsuit so it's time to throw a fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't assign blame to anyone, but the loss of Fox is the final issue that has me moving to DirecTV. First there were the vague promises that Dish would eventually carry ALL the EPL soccer games that never happened. Then there was the Hopper, whose "hopping" capabilities are being negotiated away - requiring longer delays before commercials can be skipped, and finally the loss of Fox News. I have enjoyed Dish and I am sure I will enjoy DirecTV.

the main reason why this dispute was already nasty was that Fox is suing Dish over the Prime Time Anytime auto-hop feature on the Hopper DVR systems. and Dish and Fox has has a history of bad blood, dating back to the 2010 month long dispute where Dish was with out the FSN RSNs owned by Fox (which the non-Fox RSNs owned by DirecTV was rebranded to Root Sports), FX and Nat Geo. it was a dispute that almost took away the Local Fox Owned and Operated TV stations (as well as a few that were no longer owned by Fox but they still had to negotiated and get a deal done on the current owners of the channel at the time 's behalf) but they resolved it. plus recently, Dish almost faced a situation where they had to blackout some football games due to the old Speed contract affected the FS1 broadcasting rights to games on dish. but Dish resolved that too.

You know, FOX may have indeed improved FS1 and FS2, but the contract for those channels is still in effect for some time now and FOX wants to re-negotiate them by blackmailing Dish with FOX News.

Buck up Charlie, I'll not drop Dish even though I record and try to watch FOX News every night (O'Reiley, Hannity, Greta). I figure to make a point about this extortion, I'll forego them for a while.

Who will blink first? It is a process. Duck and weave. Dodge and move. It is a business. But, ... They will eventually end up in a place where they both compromise in a win win for both, but not in the beginning. It takes time for each side to figure out the solution of whats best for both.

Been there...

You know, FOX may have indeed improved FS1 and FS2, but the contract for those channels is still in effect for some time now and FOX wants to re-negotiate them by blackmailing Dish with FOX News.

Nobody held a gun to Chase Carey's head and forced him to spend hundreds of millions for new content. He knew how long it would be before he could legitimately ask for more money, but that didn't phase him, figuring that the MPVD's would buckle under when he held them hostage. You'd think Chase would have Charlie figured out by now, given that Carey used to be the CEO of DirecTV. Apparently not.

No one is holding a gun to Charlie Ergen's head either. All he has to say is that Fox News isn't coming back and that will be the end of it. By the way, FXX had insanely high ratings when they put on The Simpsons Marathon. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/04/simpsons-marathon-ratings/

How many people think Charlie has the upper hand? How many people think 21st Century Fox does?

Last edited:
I think Charlie has the upper hand as long as he doesn't just say Fox News is gone for good. Once he says that he will have to deal with more churn than I believe he wants to accept.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Once upon a time charlie screwed Rupert out of some satellite transponders..this was long before fox owned (and sold) DirecTV..these two have been feuding for a loooooong time

Reactions: ChadT41
No one is holding a gun to Charlie Ergen's head either. All he has to say is that Fox News isn't coming back and that will be the end of it. By the way, FXX had crazy high ratings when they put on The Simpsons Marathon. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/04/simpsons-marathon-ratings/

How many people think Charlie has the upper hand? How many people think 21st Century Fox does?
Fox has the upper hand. If Dish does not return Fox, I feel there will be a few million susbcriptions lost as well as a 50% loss in new subscribers. Fox knows this and will not retreat too far on their demands. It's not just about Fox news, it comes down to peoples values Liberal versus Conservative, Conservatives will leave in the millions with no fox news! Charlie has to lick Foxes boots.

Reactions: mitchflorida
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)