Are Receivers and DVRs Protected W/O Protection Plan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I was on the phone with a CSR just a few minutes ago because I wanted to replace one of my TiVo's with a DVR (my TiVo constantly misses recordings and freezes up). The TiVo is now a backup DVR that I take with me when I travel. Since I have the protection plan she said it is covered. I asked her if it would be covered anyway without the protection plan and she said no (I was thinking of dropping it since I have never used it). I could have sworn the protection plan is not needed for receiver or DVR replacement.

It's their equipment not mine anymore thus I've always received replacements for free (though I've been lucky with mine holding up just fine). They might be hitting me with a new 2-yr commitment each time but I'm not going anywhere so I could care less about that. I always thought the protection plan was for those that needed help with dish alignment or when something goes wrong that requires a tech to come out.

That is what I thought.

I thought one only has to pay for shipping of the replacement receiver and with the protection plan the shipping is free

I wouldn't bother with the protection plan. As far as I'm concerned they are owned by DirecTV and it is thier responsiblity to replace defective units.

I have never had to pay for a replacement except the $20 shipping fee.

The protection plan will waive the shipping fee and includes free adjustments to the dish for allignment reasons.

I thought I've read on the forums that without the protection plan they'll send you a new receiver for $20 and a new 2-year commitment.

Then someone always jumps in all angry and replies - They don't add a 2-year commitment for replacing a bad receiver !! :mad:

I have been with DTV for 2 years. I got 5 receivers from them, and bought an HR21 from ebay.
I know somehow they claim that they own the receivers, even the one I bought from ebay. Either way, if they own them, then they should definately replace them when the break, which happens VERY often the the H21s. I never had to "buy" my receivers from the Cable company.

Anyway, in the 2 years that I have been with them, I have had to have 3 of my 4 H21s replaced, because they just died completely.
I got the protection plan, just in case. For the extra $5, it gives me peace and quiet especially since these awful receivers die on schedule. My 2 year old son could manufacture a better quality receiver that would last longer.
However, I just recently got the protection plan. Even before I got it, they replaced my receivers for just the $20 shipping fee, which actually is more like $30 for me since I "moved", I have to ship it twice.

My 2 year old son could manufacture a better quality receiver that would last longer.
:rolleyes:

DIRECTV doesn't just claim they own the receivers they do in fact own the receivers.

Anyway, I've had an HR20 since 2006 and it's never failed.

Anyway, the DVRs have hard drives in them, and hard drives that are running 24/7 and constantly recording stuff to the 90 minute buffer do sometimes fail.

I thought I've read on the forums that without the protection plan they'll send you a new receiver for $20 and a new 2-year commitment.

Then someone always jumps in all angry and replies - They don't add a 2-year commitment for replacing a bad receiver !! :mad:

If you are referring to me, and you could be, I have never ANGRILY said "They don't add a 2-year commitment for replacing a bad receiver !!" I have posted it more than once to make sure that the information gets out. Even if it was angrily, why would that be important?

I have been with DTV for 2 years. I got 5 receivers from them, and bought an HR21 from ebay.
I know somehow they claim that they own the receivers, even the one I bought from ebay. Either way, if they own them, then they should definately replace them when the break, which happens VERY often the the H21s. I never had to "buy" my receivers from the Cable company.

Anyway, in the 2 years that I have been with them, I have had to have 3 of my 4 H21s replaced, because they just died completely.
I got the protection plan, just in case. For the extra $5, it gives me peace and quiet especially since these awful receivers die on schedule. My 2 year old son could manufacture a better quality receiver that would last longer.
However, I just recently got the protection plan. Even before I got it, they replaced my receivers for just the $20 shipping fee, which actually is more like $30 for me since I "moved", I have to ship it twice.

It may be that the cable company didn't charge you up front for their box, but likely they charged you a lot more per month than the $5 Directv does. One way or the other, they all get your money from you!

It may be that the cable company didn't charge you up front for their box, but likely they charged you a lot more per month than the $5 Directv does. One way or the other, they all get your money from you!

Yup, you got that right, the local guys add $ 17 p/m for the HD DVR that they carry.

PER MONTH, that goes on forever ......... not just the up front cost that D* wants.

If you are referring to me, and you could be, I have never ANGRILY said "They don't add a 2-year commitment for replacing a bad receiver !!" I have posted it more than once to make sure that the information gets out. Even if it was angrily, why would that be important?
but chip i thought i read that if you didn't have the PP and needed a receiver replaced that Directv would extend your commitment. so its not true? that would be great since i personally find no value in the PP so i've never had it. in my case of course. it does make sense for others to have it

Hi.

I wasn't referring to you.
It's not always about you. ha ha ;)

If you have said it angrily, get a grip, we're just talking about a receiver box replacement policy, no big deal, not worth having a fit over it.

I think that stonedcold guy has said DIRECTV isn't supposed to add a 2 year commitment, but usually the CSRs screw up and a 2 year commitment get's added anyways.

I don't have the DIRECTV service plan.
If I had to get a box replaced for $20 and a 2 year commitment, that's fine with me. I've been with them 10+ years now, I'm not going anywhere.

Hi.

I wasn't referring to you.
It's not always about you. ha ha ;)

If you have said it angrily, get a grip, we're just talking about a receiver box replacement policy, no big deal, not worth having a fit over it.

I think that stonedcold guy has said DIRECTV isn't supposed to add a 2 year commitment, but usually the CSRs screw up and a 2 year commitment get's added anyways.

I don't have the DIRECTV service plan.
If I had to get a box replaced for $20 and a 2 year commitment, that's fine with me. I've been with them 10+ years now, I'm not going anywhere.

Hey, I'm almost never angry, except when one of my Studebakers won't start. Now that pisses me off! ;) Anyway, you are right that sometimes the csrs screw up and extend a commitment when they shouldn't. That's why I try to make sure everyone knows that they aren't supposed to unless the equipment is owned, like SC mentioned, or if it is an upgrade. This is all without the pp, of course.

but chip i thought i read that if you didn't have the PP and needed a receiver replaced that Directv would extend your commitment. so its not true? that would be great since i personally find no value in the PP so i've never had it. in my case of course. it does make sense for others to have it

Not if it is defective, unless it is owned, like SC said, or if it is an upgrade.

I was on the phone with a CSR just a few minutes ago because I wanted to replace one of my TiVo's with a DVR (my TiVo constantly misses recordings and freezes up). The TiVo is now a backup DVR that I take with me when I travel. Since I have the protection plan she said it is covered. I asked her if it would be covered anyway without the protection plan and she said no (I was thinking of dropping it since I have never used it). I could have sworn the protection plan is not needed for receiver or DVR replacement.

The reason the Tivo HR10-250 wouldn't be covered w/o the protection plan is because you own it. Those are not leased units. All leased units are owned by DirecTV and will be replaced by them if defective, plus a 20$ shipping fee. And no there is no additional commitment although some customers have been incorrectly put on one.

I have the PP for that reason, I have an HR10-250 and another receiver that I own. Once they are replaced with leased receivers I will ditch the PP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)