Are the issues with the new Genie 2 system getting fixed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr_tv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Boise Idaho
I have read a lot on the new Genie 2. It seems it has had a lot of bugs to get worked out. If you have one are these issues getting resolved?

I got mine in October and the only issue I have is skipping/dropping frames when there is heavy DVR recording/playback to my external drive. My theory is that it's too cheap a drive (I pulled a large drive from an external backup I bought because it was cheaper than buying a bare standalone drive) and that it's struggling to keep up causing the drops/skips. I'm replacing it with a 7200 RPM drive soon so we'll see what happens. Other than that, my experience with the HS17 has been quite positive.

I have had the Genie 2 since last Oct. I have the latest software (1037) and it seems to be a little faster but ALL the other problems are still there. picture freeze,runaway remote etc.

SSTV

I have read a lot on the new Genie 2. It seems it has had a lot of bugs to get worked out. If you have one are these issues getting resolved?

most people on the dtv forums do not recommend an hs17 for a variety of reasons

if you want an upgrade, i would wait

Going on what you see on an online forum for any product or service would lead one to say that "most people" don't recommend it.

"Most people" visit on line forums to complain, not praise products and services.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Thanks for the responses. I am an installer. Wife was asking about us upgrading our equipment? I told her about the HS17 and she seemed pretty interested. Then I started looking at reviews and changed my opinion on the upgrade. I basically wanted to have some experience as a retail installer with this equipment. I think I will just pass on it for now and hope when the HS17 gets national release they have prepared it for prime time. For now it appears it isn't ready.

Thanks for the responses. I am an installer. Wife was asking about us upgrading our equipment? I told her about the HS17 and she seemed pretty interested. Then I started looking at reviews and changed my opinion on the upgrade. I basically wanted to have some experience as a retail installer with this equipment. I think I will just pass on it for now and hope when the HS17 gets national release they have prepared it for prime time. For now it appears it isn't ready.

If you're waiting for nothing but positive reviews you'll never do it...because there is no way everyone is going to be happy with anything and for the most part only unhappy people wind up in online forums.

Reactions: Jimbo
If D* would integrate the HR recvrs to work WITH the HS17, I think they would have a lot more people wanting/accepting them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.