Are there cheaper DTV DVR options than the Genie?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digger100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Iowa
If I want a 4 TV HD setup is there any cheaper DVR option with DTV than the genie?

I believe that the newer units are the only ones that handle 4k, so the answer would be no.
Way too early to expect to find ones cheaper online.

Btw, when you say cheaper, are you talking about as in getting a recvr or the monthly cost on using the recvr.
I think the monthly fee will be the same as any other recvr.

I would be a new customer. Looking at monthly cost of dvr and extra receiver's. Dish has a cheaper dvr for a 4 TV setup, it is not total hd on the 1 tv(I've had it before)but the other 3 are hd.

I would be a new customer. Looking at monthly cost of dvr and extra receiver's. Dish has a cheaper dvr for a 4 TV setup, it is not total hd on the 1 tv(I've had it before)but the other 3 are hd.
DIRECTV charges the same fees regardless of receiver types. Wether you get 1 Genie and 3 minis or 1 Genie and 3 HDDVRs, it cost the same monthly as far as equipment fee is concerned.

Aside from the equipment (which, as a new customer, DirecTV's going to shower you with all sorts of promos), I'd recommend checking out the technical specs regarding PQ (picture quality) and the like. I think you'll find that DirecTV does technically edge out DISH based on how DirecTV compresses their signal.

And, as always, I can't say enough good about the Genie DVR and wireless Genie Minis. They're really very good.

what equipment would you get from dish? from directv?
what are your recording habits? how many tuners do you want/need?

its hard to compare the 2 services with knowing some info.

i would never use a client from either one, i want my unit2 to at least have a tuner

what equipment would you get from dish? from directv?
what are your recording habits? how many tuners do you want/need?

its hard to compare the 2 services with knowing some info.

i would never use a client from either one, i want my unit2 to at least have a tuner
I agree, I would want tuners in my recvrs, not just a slave.
IF the master (Genie in this case) ever went down, the rest is also down, with regular tuners, if 1 goes down, the rest should work.

thats the bonus of the genie, you can hook an hr or h unit to it

if the hopper worked with the vip series, it would be so much better

thats the bonus of the genie, you can hook an hr or h unit to it

if the hopper worked with the vip series, it would be so much better
Why not just have multiple Hoppers, which adds 3 additional tuners, each time, and if one goes down, the Joeys can link to each Hopper as to not cripple the system.

Why not just have multiple Hoppers, which adds 3 additional tuners, each time, and if one goes down, the Joeys can link to each Hopper as to not cripple the system.
that helps, but i still dont like a client using a tuner from a genie/hopper if you wanna watch live tv
that cripples the system imho

that helps, but i still dont like a client using a tuner from a genie/hopper if you wanna watch live tv
that cripples the system imho
I have had the opposite experience. I can share tuners throughout the house, and thanks to the tuners being consolidated I can keep an eye on the family and what they are watching. Great for parenting. Having two hoppers, my roommates(before I had kids living here) were able to link to the Hopper that was opposite of where I spent most my viewing and we respected each others viewing habits and recordings, setup on separate hard drives in each hopper. The hard part with having different DVRs in the mix is different software and options. At least with two boppers, if there is a conflict I can push the recording to the other Hopper and not have to worry about going to another room since my 2 tuner system was full.

DIRECTV charges the same fees regardless of receiver types. Wether you get 1 Genie and 3 minis or 1 Genie and 3 HDDVRs, it cost the same monthly as far as equipment fee is concerned.
What's the point of getting the minis then? They are really slow when changing channels and you get less hard drive space.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)