Are you still having problems with your VOOM box (OTA Problems)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean - I'm posting my question here like you asked. I live in Houston, TX and I am able to get most of the OTA channels except for Fox 26-2 KRIVDT. I looked up my zip (77007) at http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs and I should be getting it. I've tried the factory reset before and it brought in some channels but not 26-2. I tried it again last night and it still isn't coming through. I've called Voom and they are never very much help, they just keep telling me to wait one more week and then another week and so on. I see that tytxy on this forum is from the same area and having the same problem with 26-2 as i am. I don't know what else to try except to wait until Feb. and see if it's fixed by then, but I'm getting kind of sick waiting and waiting.

dredd1,

I got the following from VOOM:

Excellent - we have another viewer, same DMA, different zip, with the same problem. I went back and checked Tribune feed - we are getting an indicated FCC digital channel of 27.2, which does not make sense since there is only one feed for KRIV. I have forwarded to Motorola to have the map checked for indicated MPEG service #. I think this is a problem on our end mapping-wise, but I am waiting to hear back. If this is is, fix should be quick and painless.

Stay tuned.

As soon as hear more I will post...So it looks like something will be done soon.

Well there is light at the end of the tunnel....lori in the install division of voom called me today. She listened to my story, and said that unfortunately the guy that she needs to talk to fix this is out till monday, but that she will be calling me first thing monday morning, and that my problems WILL be taken care of, and i will never have to deal with Independent Installs ever again!!!
----------
Update...........Installs Inc have called...TWICE!!.......have assigned me to a new installer, have already shipped a complete new system to this installer, gonna come next week, (I hope) and remove everything that has been done to date, and start from scratch and install a complete system correctly and professionally.....Thanks so much Sean....will keep you all updated

I got VOOm installed on Jan 20 and I have already had to unplug and replug in the receiver box around 10 times because of if freezing. Either it freezes with the sound still going along just fine but no picture, or the whole thing has just frozen (maybe twice). Is this a similar problem to what others have been experiencing?

Also can someone re-explain (I think I read it before, but cant find it now) what the red button behind the right front panel does. I seem to remember it doing something with the display resolution, but I cant find where I read about it.

Also, is there a way to get the channel guide to start at the current tuned channel instead of channel 100? This puts a big damper on my surfing pattern.

Eric

PS - Installation went smoothly until they we tried to activate the box. Then My installer got a voicemail telling him to call back later. Then, on a different number, he got told that my receiver wasnnt in VOOMs inventory and the guy who could activate it was at lunch and she would send him an email. Nice. Luckily my installer refused to let it go (wonder how long that email would have sat) and after much debate getting nowhere with VOOM, swapped my box out with another one he had in his truck for a different installation. Unfortunately it was an older box and had to spend 20 minutes downloading software. So this whole mess added about 1.5 hours on to the install.

How long for locals?

I had VOOM installed earlier today at about 3pm. I have reset the box with the front power button and done a factory reset. I still can not pick up any locals with the voom box. They are in the guide but they won't tune in. I am in the Boston area and I can pick up all my local HD stations with my DirecTV Samsung HD box. They all have a signal in the 70 to 95 range. One of the VOOM reps told me it might take a day for the locals to be picked up.

Is this true? Any suggestions if not.

JaydeeD,

no problem. I hope everything works out. Keep us informed.

hogdog (Eric),

Welcome to the board.

I got VOOm installed on Jan 20 and I have already had to unplug and replug in the receiver box around 10 times because of if freezing. Either it freezes with the sound still going along just fine but no picture, or the whole thing has just frozen (maybe twice). Is this a similar problem to what others have been experiencing?

I have read that there are some people getting frozen boxes or lock ups. I have experienced the lock ups with one box but it was due to another problem. Wilt has suggested to call VOOM and swap the box if it becomes very impossible to deal with them.

Also can someone re-explain (I think I read it before, but cant find it now) what the red button behind the right front panel does. I seem to remember it doing something with the display resolution, but I cant find where I read about it.

VOOM Receiver Aspect Ratio

The VOOM receiver can output 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i or you can have set to auto to choose the naive resolution of the program. All outputs video are active simultaneously - DVI, Component, Composite & S-Video.

To get a standard 1080i output when the top long light (in front of the receiver) is lit, 720p for the next light below it, 480p below that and 480i for the light below that. The next push of the red button puts you in a 'native output' mode (where all lights briefly flash) which will output whatever the resolution of the broadcast is.

Also, is there a way to get the channel guide to start at the current tuned channel instead of channel 100? This puts a big damper on my surfing pattern.

At the moment the answer is no. Hopefully, in the next software upgrade this will be done.

How are your locals? Are you getting all your OTAs? Put the call to VOOM and ask them to swap the box.

Sean,

Yes all my locals come up in that guide. I should be good to go, but it just isn't working. I have tried the power button reset and the factory reset.

Does it take a for a long time for them to come in or should they be their as long as they show up in your guide?

Would unplugging the box possibly work?

Peter

Peter,

let it rest for a day. One question. How is your antenna setup? Are you using the same antenna for both receivers?

Sean,

Yes I have a antenna that was installed about 2 yrs ago. It has excellent reception. On the other box it picks up HD channels with signals in the 70 to 95 range. Never had a problem with the signal. Yes it is the same antenna for both receivers. The signal just goes to two places, those two boxes.

Thanks for all your help,

Pete

As far as I can tell, I am getting all of my OTA, all coming in crystal clear. I do live about 2 miles from the towers, so I'm set pretty good there. Im actually quite suprised by how good the digital stations look, not just how good the HD stuff but all of it.

So far I cant get the 720p to work. My Toshiba 34hd82 says it accepts it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. From your explanation, though, it looks like I should let the receiver pick the resolution though? Or should I be forcing 1080i?

Let me know if it works or not by posting here. I am going to merge your thread with the other thread that discusses problems.

I have two Tv's a SONY GW (native rez 768p) and Sammy DLP (native rez 720p). On my SONY I was able to get 1080i and 720p working on both component input and DVI input. I opted for DVI on the Sony. On the DLP, I got both 1080i and 720p working through component. I think I opted to feed it 720p through component. The DVI on the Sammy is quite different. It was not taken 720p and it never worked! I was able to feed it 1080i and it looked fine and was working fine until one day the box started locking up and I had to disconnect the DVI input because something was not working through DVI at 1080i. So on the Sammy I have it at 720p through component. The DVI of the stb and the sammy did not like each other from the beginning. That was my experience.

Now how does it look when you feed 1080i? Do you think it degrades the resolution?

Peter,

There shouldn't be a lag.

I sent info to Wilt for my zip out here, which I assume overlaps the Boston Channels being up.

If you can't get any, would guess they forgot to put the OTA card in the unit. Are you using a diplexer combining the OTA & Sat into one cable. They may have also forgotten to put the adapter on the back with breaks out the OTA & Sat input, i.e., running both to the sat input.

Tim

dredd1 said:
Sean - I'm posting my question here like you asked. I live in Houston, TX and I am able to get most of the OTA channels except for Fox 26-2 KRIVDT......
I see that tytxy on this forum is from the same area and having the same problem with 26-2 as i am.
dredd1,
Thank you for posting. Now I am sure that I am not alone.

dredd1 said:
I don't know what else to try except to wait until Feb. and see if it's fixed by then, but I'm getting kind of sick waiting and waiting.
I also tried everything I can think of. I guess we have to wait, although, me too, getting tired of waiting.
One question: what "Authorization Status" is on your "System Status" window when you tune to 26-2? Is it a "N/A"?

Sean Mota said:
we are getting an indicated FCC digital channel of 27.2, which does not make sense since there is only one feed for KRIV.
Sean,
Thanks so much for help.
Questions: Why there is a channel 27.2 in the reply from VOOM? Should it be 26.2? Also, in my PG the number (26-2) does not match the name (KRIVD1) for Fox channel. Could that be a problem?

Tim,

I didn't think there should be a lag. Thanks. The OTA card, was that supposed to be put in by the installer? Did it come in the box?

I don't have any diplexers. The house is already prewired for OTA. So the OTA cable comes out from the wall and straight into the Voom box's input that has a picture of a Antenna( I beleive). I have 2 cables one for the OTA that goes striaght in and one from the voom dish. Both cables are plugged into seperate inputs.

Peter

tytxy,

I believe that is the problem and VOOM said that it is on their system and they need to correct this and you will be able to get this resolved. I'll keep at it until you guys get it right.

Peter,

here's a picture of the back of the receiver. The OTA module gets connected to the input to your left (last one in the pic) as you are looking at the picture. There is another input named "UHF" and some installers connected the OTA antenna wire here. The UHF input is not the connection for the OTA antenna. Let us know which input your OTA is connected.

http://216.120.249.94/voom/inside/back2.jpg

I bet the OTA is in the wrong input. Try the one to the right of the sat input near the edge of the box. Seans on top of things as usual.

Tim

Sean and Tim,

I don't have that installed. The cable is plugged into the connection to the left of the usb port. Now hopefully I can get a hold of the installer tomorrow to get the piece. I'll pick it up if I have to as long as I can get it. He mentioned something about a part on the phone so this must be it.

Thanks to both of you for all the help,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts