AT&T Fiber Wiring Inside the Home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tspenard

Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
Hi, I believe I know the answer to these Q's but would like to verify. We finally have access to AT&T fiber. According to their website we can get any of the following symmetrical Mbps packages: 300, 500, 1000, 2000, or 5000. These questions are specific to the 300 package in case there are different requirements between packages.

Will they string fiber from the pole to our house?

Will the fiber terminate inside of an outdoor box first? If so, will a second fiber cable go from that box through the wall to the interior?

In terms of the conversion device (ONT?), I assume it must be placed inside for weatherproof purpose. Do all I need ready before install is a nearby power outlet and a CAT6 network cable homerun to where I plan to put the modem? I will be doing any inside wiring and preparation as long as it isn't fiber.

Thank you for your help.

You're grossly overthinking this. AT&T will do whatever it takes to provide you with a RJ45 jack (or four) and maybe Wi-Fi (depending on what you signed up for) inside your home. From there, you do whatever you feel you need.

If you were looking for a new challenge for the new year, this isn't it.

They will string fiber from the pole to your house and then run that fiber cable inside your house to wherever you want their modem to be located. AT&T is only making fiber all the way to the modem deployments these days.

They will provide you a BGW320 modem which has a built-in ONT, three gigabit Ethernet ports, and one 5-gig Ethernet port. Its wireless capabilities include 802.11b/g/n/ac/ax.

There is no extra monthly or one-time charge for any of these things.

Reactions: tspenard and Foxbat
They will string fiber from the pole to your house and then run that fiber cable inside your house to wherever you want their modem to be located. AT&T is only making fiber all the way to the modem deployments these days.

They will provide you a BGW320 modem which has a built-in ONT, three gigabit Ethernet ports, and one 5-gig Ethernet port. Its wireless capabilities include 802.11b/g/n/ac/ax.

There is no extra monthly or one-time charge for any of these things.
Thank you very much for that info.

If you happen to know, would the tech typically install a surface mount fiber termination box on the interior wall near where the BGW320 will go (home office in my case)? Or would he just run the single length of fiber, then poke it through a hole in the drywall to reach the BGW320? I would prefer to have a flush wall plate / data box installed and ready for him but know nothing about fiber terminations. I presume a "fiber" keystone or wall plate would have a female - female coupler that he could just plug his cable into the back of, then run a fiber patch cable 2 meters to the BGW320.

Is the BGW320's router functionality good for running ~14 ethernet cables from a switch and assigning static IP addresses to all hardwired devices? I have a TP-Link AX5400 that I can use to do this if the BGW320 can be bridged.

I have ATT fiber and they brought the fiber in parallel with my old copper wires from the pole to the side of the garage, through the garage and installed equipment in my basement near the original TELCO demark point. There is a box that converts fiber to Ethernet, a battery backup power supply then the modem/router. When they removed the old DSL router they connected my existing Ethernet cables that run throughout the house to the new modem/router. I don't use the WiFi in the ATT router as its not in a good location and use an eero WiFi mesh system to saturate the entire house.