AT&T Plans to End Their Satellite DIRECTV & Focus on Streaming

My prepaid Verizon plan allows me to use my phone as a hotspot and my data cap is 60gb before they even look at my account to throttle.

The difference is that the prepaid Jetpack unlimited plan is not throttled no matter how much data you use. It simply slows down briefly when a tower is extra busy. Oddly, the same thing happens even without deprioritization in my experience. ;)

Ya didn't Dish buy out a cell company recently Asurian or something ;) I live in a town of 145 and get 30 Mbps Down and 20 Up unlimited never have had better service and yes its a hotpsot. I bought a 4GLTE Router and can now stick 32 devices on it. Never see a buffer icon with Netflix. I a pretty close to a tower though ;). Sooo ya buy your stock with wireless as that's where it will be as soon as 5G is the norm. We also have three towers going up around us too. Just hope ATT doesn't monopolize things.

I think 1xRTT is worse.

For work I used to have to go on the local Indian Reservations where there were no cell towers, but Verizon has them strategically placed to try to reach as much as their land as possible. 1x was, in my experience slower than dial up, or at least felt like it was slower then dial up due to extremely high latency. I'm talking 1500-2500 ms, which is 4 or 5 times the latency of satellite. Most web pages would timeout on my phone, I could not access my email typically and due to cell phones utilizing aGPS, Google Navigation was completely useless.

Reactions: Pere845 and HipKat
Not everyone is even near or has broadband yet let alone affordable broadband. If Comcast would push deeper into the out skirts of this city I'm in I'd most certainly look at move into the country side and get away from city living but its fast internet like someone else said here that keeps me in this location over most other things.
When I did some house shopping many years ago just for the heck of it, Comcast internet was a requirement I told the agent...she looked at me as if I was crazy.

Not everyone is even near or has broadband yet let alone affordable broadband. If Comcast would push deeper into the out skirts of this city I'm in I'd most certainly look at move into the country side and get away from city living but its fast internet like someone else said here that keeps me in this location over most other things.
When I did some house shopping many years ago just for the heck of it, Comcast internet was a requirement I told the agent...she looked at me as if I was crazy.

Yeah its a sacrifice to live in a rural area, but worth in IMO. I'm getting by on a combination of 21mbps DSL and 60mbps unlimited Verizon data on my phone

Reactions: eddie willers
Seems ironic that just a couple of years ago that AT&T bought DirecTV and started swapping their U-Verse TV customers over to satellite. Our one friends loved her U-Verse as it never had weather outages; now she loses signal in heavy rain and with winter fast approaching the snow has started back up. So, she'll be put back on streaming AT&T? That'll make her happy since she has AT&T Fiber to her home and 50 Mbps up and down.

Seems ironic that just a couple of years ago that AT&T bought DirecTV and started swapping their U-Verse TV customers over to satellite. Our one friends loved her U-Verse as it never had weather outages; now she loses signal in heavy rain and with winter fast approaching the snow has started back up. So, she'll be put back on streaming AT&T? That'll make her happy since she has AT&T Fiber to her home and 50 Mbps up and down.

Yeah, I have friends that AT&T effectively forced to switch (or pay exorbitant fees for Uverse). They like DirecTV well enough, but they were perfectly happy with Uverse before the switch. Now we've seen the Uverse advertising ramp up in our area and DirecTV has almost disappeared. Make up your mind already AT&T!

Reactions: pattykay
Being a Dish tech in the same area (Central Illinois), it's not often I'm out in the country and I don't mention in passing that the one thing keeping me in the city is fast internet. Run 1GB/s Fiber to the country and I'm living in the woods ASAP.
I live out in the country, and hopefully, later this month I will have 1Gbps/1Gbps fiber installed here. Our electric cooperative has a fiber project that they started building last year. It will cover two counties in their entirety (Marion and Lamar County, Alabama). They have about 55-60% of the population of Marion County (where I live) covered. This is a very rural area, Marion County has a population of about 30,000 over 743 square miles, and Lamar County has a population of about 14,000 over 605 square miles. Their construction crews were out last week doing splicing on this road and installing drops and splitters. The network engineer told me he thinks I should be up and running around Christmas. Will be a great Christmas present going from 4.0Mbps/512Kbps DSL to the gigabit fiber. CenturyLink is the ILEC here, they got over half a billion dollars from CAF and CAF II funds to supposedly 'expand rural broadband' we're still stuck at those DSL speeds I mentioned all these years later. That is one reason the electric coop decided to do it themselves, no one else was going to invest in this area. They hope it will help stop the population decline in the area and attract industry, not to mention the enhanced quality of life. Hope they get it in before Christmas as they estimate.

I live out in the country, and hopefully, later this month I will have 1Gbps/1Gbps fiber installed here. Our electric cooperative has a fiber project that they started building last year. It will cover two counties in their entirety (Marion and Lamar County, Alabama). They have about 55-60% of the population of Marion County (where I live) covered. This is a very rural area, Marion County has a population of about 30,000 over 743 square miles, and Lamar County has a population of about 14,000 over 605 square miles. Their construction crews were out last week doing splicing on this road and installing drops and splitters. The network engineer told me he thinks I should be up and running around Christmas. Will be a great Christmas present going from 4.0Mbps/512Kbps DSL to the gigabit fiber. CenturyLink is the ILEC here, they got over half a billion dollars from CAF and CAF II funds to supposedly 'expand rural broadband' we're still stuck at those DSL speeds I mentioned all these years later. That is one reason the electric coop decided to do it themselves, no one else was going to invest in this area. They hope it will help stop the population decline in the area and attract industry, not to mention the enhanced quality of life. Hope they get it in before Christmas as they estimate.

Well, I am glad someone is doing stuff like that. I would much prefer to live in the country, but having a job generally means living in a city for me.

Well, I am glad someone is doing stuff like that. I would much prefer to live in the country, but having a job generally means living in a city for me.

I live in the country, but I work in Birmingham about 70 miles one way. It’s all interstate since I just live about 7 miles from the freeway. Also, thankfully I only have to drive in two days a week, I can work from home the rest of the time. I have lived here all my life and wouldn’t live anywhere else. My family has been in this area for generations and it is ‘home’ for me.

I live in the country, but I work in Birmingham about 70 miles one way. It’s all interstate since I just live about 7 miles from the freeway. Also, thankfully I only have to drive in two days a week, I can work from home the rest of the time. I have lived here all my life and wouldn’t live anywhere else. My family has been in this area for generations and it is ‘home’ for me.
That's awesome!

I am sure they aren't getting rid of DTV via satellite anytime soon, but the handwriting is on the wall for all satellite based services. But a lot of it is, if the charges for high speed stay reasonable. These "Caps" I see is not very user friendly.

In the future, the term channel will be obsolete. Everything will be on demand similar to netflix. There will still be live streaming of news and sports but most of what we know as "channels" will disappear

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

In the future, the term channel will be obsolete. Everything will be on demand similar to netflix. There will still be live streaming of news and sports but most of what we know as "channels" will disappear

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
I said that same thing in 2002 and my friends thought I was drunk lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)