AT&T TV National Launch

D* is still better than anything out there picture quality wise .... .

And "multiuser wise" for those with larger numbers of simultaneous users. Since AT&T TV with a max. of only three active streams is completely useless to those like me with six DVRs and a wireless Mini client.

Though I am envious of there having no monthly receiver lease fees and an offer of AT&T's 1 Gps internet service for only $40/mo. with bundling.

To help cut costs had to give up our 1 Gps speed at $80/mo. with bund. several months ago for a standard 100/100 Mbps one at $40/mo.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
bobvick that's exactly what it feels like, something still in beta. The potential is there but the product feels unfinished. As far as the apps go, I can understand having some of these not being able to be installed as it would be in competition with their streaming service.

bobvick that's exactly what it feels like, something still in beta. The potential is there but the product feels unfinished. As far as the apps go, I can understand not having some of these not being able to be installed as it would be in competition with their streaming service.
They really should make it clear that not ALL apps in the Google Play store can be installed. As far is it being competition, it really is not, you've got the AT&T TV service, so you're not going anywhere, their getting paid. They wouldn't have to 'advertise' it in the guide like they do with Netflix, if they did not have an agreement, however, allowing ANY app to be installed, available in the Google Play store would be an asset.

They really should make it clear that not ALL apps in the Google Play store can be installed. As far is it being competition, it really is not, you've got the AT&T TV service, so you're not going anywhere, their getting paid. They wouldn't have to 'advertise' it in the guide like they do with Netflix, if they did not have an agreement, however, allowing ANY app to be installed, available in the Google Play store would be an asset.
Were you even able to run any of the apps smoothly? Last night during my first run with the box aside from the lag it would crash and reboot using the apps. I'll give it a few more days to see how well it runs the ATT TV part.

Were you even able to run any of the apps smoothly? Last night during my first run with the box aside from the lag it would crash and reboot using the apps. I'll give it a few more days to see how well it runs the ATT TV part.

The apps I installed just a couple, caused it to freeze up. Also, I tried to go into ‘settings’ a couple of times and the damn thing crashed from that. I got frustrated with it, unhooked it, boxed it back up, and reinstalled my HR54.
This ‘osprey’ and his brother ‘osprey’ I got for another room, will be going back home to the AT&T store tomorrow.

The C71KW has 4 cores (ARM A53) and a 1.6 GHz GPU. That sounds slow when you compare with modern smartphones but that's far more power than anything Directv has ever released including the HS17 (which I believe has the same CPUs but is dual core not quad)

So you can blame all the lag on sh!tty software, not unpowered hardware.

Reactions: Rey
The C71KW has 4 cores (ARM A53) and a 1.6 GHz GPU. That sounds slow when you compare with modern smartphones but that's far more power than anything Directv has ever released including the HS17 (which I believe has the same CPUs but is dual core not quad)

So you can blame all the lag on sh!tty software, not unpowered hardware.
Man ... compared with the old faster method of field testing and evaluation and the release of those glossy "First Look" documents. Where then DIRECTV used active subscribers.

You would think the "far" slower pace when AT&T discontinued this practice and took all field trials in house and only among their employees, they could have had time to develop the firmware and work the bugs out a lot better. ...

But guess not. ....

Man ... compared with the old faster method of field testing and evaluation and the release of those glossy "First Look" documents. Where then DIRECTV used active subscribers.

You would think the "far" slower pace when AT&T discontinued this practice and took all field trials in house and only among their employees, they could have had time to develop the firmware and work the bugs out a lot better. ...

But guess not. ....

This C71 was the absolute worst piece of sh!te I have ever used. I have Roku's, AppleTV's, Fire Cube, Fire Stick's, and even a nVidia Shield, I have used many different devices for streaming over the years, but this is the buggiest box I can ever recall using. I cannot imagine that this will go over well at all with Joe Couch-potato. Seems like AT&T is purposely positioning themselves to fail. If this is the best they can do they'd might as well give up on video period.

Reactions: osu1991
Has anyone had any luck getting out of their contract to try out AT&T TV? Or are you trying it out on top of your D* service?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I tried it before I canceled DirecTV. You have 14 days in which you can cancel AT&T TV. I got it Tuesday and I am taking their sh!t back tomorrow to the store.

I tried it before I canceled DirecTV. You have 14 days in which you can cancel AT&T TV. I got it Tuesday and I am taking their sh!t back tomorrow to the store.

That bad? I was thinking about giving it a try. I think I’ll wait. Would be nice to have everything on one box though. The switch back and forth is old

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Wow kind of surprised to hear people's poor reviews of the C71, given how long Directv/AT&T has had it in development and testing. I imagine Android TV isn't very mature yet, that probably doesn't help.

Reactions: HoTat2
Wow kind of surprised to hear people's poor reviews of the C71, given how long Directv/AT&T has had it in development and testing. I imagine Android TV isn't very mature yet, that probably doesn't help.
My point exactly ....

AT&T/DIRECTV has seemingly been holding to the release of this product forever (in comparison to the old days at least). Only to finally release this half-baked product (according to the reviews here anyhow)?

Sheesh, what a big dissappointment ....

Actually, Android tv itself is quite excellent. At least on the Shield and the one tv I’ve tried it on. Now the shield probably has enough raw power to overcome many shortcomings, but even on the tv it ran quite well.

Now on the lower powered Mii Box, it runs a lot slower and lags, a lot like is described here.

Edit: now that I think of it, the Mii box ran a earlier version of Android tv. What does this directv box run on? Anyone know ?

It's running Android 8. I can tell you the box is much better today after doing its updates over night and settling down. Still no way it's a replacement for nvidia shield, rokus and Apple tvs as those other devices are much more polished. I am also running a 2 week trial of youtube TV just to do some comparisons.

This Saturday is my ATT gig fiber install. My current internet with xfinity is 240mbps so I can't imagine the box will work that much better with a gig.

It's running Android 8. I can tell you the box is much better today after doing its updates over night and settling down. Still no way it's a replacement for nvidia shield, rokus and Apple tvs as those other devices are much more polished. I am also running a 2 week trial of youtube TV just to do some comparisons.

This Saturday is my ATT gig fiber install. My current internet with xfinity is 240mbps so I can't imagine the box will work that much better with a gig.
Nah , you wouldn’t even need 240 to run live internet tv. You’re speed definitely isn’t the issue.

Reactions: Jimbo and Rey

It is AT&T not Google/AndroidTV. I have used Android TV on a Sony TV for about 3 years, and I have had both a second and third generation nVidia Shield. They are great, super fast, no lag, absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact, I tried an AirTV Mini, from Dish, it worked excellent as well. I decided not to say with Sling because I kept having problems with the AirTV 2, the device that you connect your OTA antenna to and it ‘streams’ to your AirTV Mini/Sling TV devices. AT&T should have just had Dish or whomever made the AirTV to make their device, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I am glad it got some better for you.

I think I’ll just stick with my DIRECTV for now, it works well and is reliable, and even with the AT&T TV, I’d have to swap back and forth all the time to do my Amazon Prime Video.
Hope it works out for you.

I have to go to day and ‘attempt’ to get all this $h!te taken back and refunded with AT&T, which will probably be very fun.

Reactions: osu1991
I am glad it got some better for you.

I think I’ll just stick with my DIRECTV for now, it works well and is reliable, and even with the AT&T TV, I’d have to swap back and forth all the time to do my Amazon Prime Video.
Hope it works out for you.

I have to go to day and ‘attempt’ to get all this $h!te taken back and refunded with AT&T, which will probably be very fun.

Well, what did they say when you returned your shite ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)