AT9 Install Help (in Baltimore)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pittpanther

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Hello all - I have been left to self-align our new AT9 dish. We had scheduled for a "professional" installer (MASTech) to do it, but after 2 fruitless attempts by them (very, very long story), I decided to have a go at it myself. I was convinced that they had not properly aligned the dish. We were receiving all channels except the local HD, which DTV confirmed are available to us.

I watched the DirecTV installation videos from the solidsignal website, and followed the instructions verbatim using an AccuTrac22 Pro signal meter.

The alignment process went pretty smoothly, and I wound up with a signal meter reading of 94 on the 101, and 86 on the 119. However; my original coarse alignment signal was 94.5 on the 101. So it did not improve after performing the fine tuning steps.

When I perform the setup on the H20 receiver, my signals for the 101 are signficantly lower in general. Here is a summary:

101 - all even transponders are 0, all odds range from 70 to 80.

110 - only 8, 10, 12 are available and they range from 70 to 80 - rest are n/a.

119 - 22 is 80, 23 is 0, 24 is 73, 25 is 0, 26 is 82, 27 is 80, 28 is 80, 29 is 30, 30 is 82, 31 is 43 and 32 is 83, rest are n/a.

99 is not setup.

103 [NET14] - only 3, 12, 17 and 25 are nonzero, and they range from 70 to 80.

103 [NET15] - all are n/a.

I am still fairly certain that I have an alignment issue - even though the H20 receivers "OK" the 101, 119, 110 and 103 satellites during its test. I have 3 H20 receivers, all of which basically behave the same way.

The original installer partially broke the plumb bob for our mounting pole, and they cut the pole's top from a longer piece (of course he submerged the "good" end), so I am not 100% confidence in its absolute level. Unfortunately, there are no other local installers according to DTV's installation services group.

Based on this information, can anyone offer any guidance at this point? Should I try to re-align the dish again?

BTW, we also are using the Zimwell 6x8 multswitch. And the H20s are model 100s. The connection between the H20s is HDMI. I received another recommendation to try connecting via Component Cables (apparently the H20-100s have some issues with HDMI), but still get the blank screen on local HD channels.

What is your zip code?

Do you have an antenna installed also?

Are you getting blank HD locals on the DirecTV provided or the antenna provided HD locals?

Are the HD locals the only channels you are not getting?

Hi charper1 - thanks for the reply.

Our zip is 21078.

Our blank local HD channels are via DirecTV (not via an antenna).

Yes, it appears as though they are the only ones we are not getting.

Well, sorry to say this, but according to the DirecTV website: 21078 does NOT get MPEG4 HD locals via satellite. Did you verify this via the locals tool? This makes it hard to be sure IF your are really supposed to get them, even thought you are more than likely in the spot beam. I shoe 21078 as Havre De Grace, MD *See attached.

Who did you order through? Do you have a copy of what your bought and subscribed to?

Attachments

• BALT 21078 HD LIL.jpg
    BALT 21078 HD LIL.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
charper1 - I did not use the online tool, but I did call DirecTV directly before ordering the upgraded dish. At the time, I was not even aware that I would need an upgraded dish to receive local HD content. They then routed me to installation services and setup my original appointment with MASTech.

You definitely NEED to call DirecTV back. You need to get you call escalated past regular CSR and their supervisor; maybe even a direct call to customer retention (someone will post the #) and explain your situation. Be sure to mention what you were sold/told versus what the online zip code tool shows and how the can rectify ASAP.

If you ARE supposed to be receiving the HD locals via sat, then get the call directed to tech help. Look at your DirecTV online account and see if those channels are listed on your account.

Last edited:
Thanks again charper1...

I did call the Retention # (800-824-9081) and spoke with Bekka.

She was baffled as well. Her only solution was to request a supervisor from MASTech to come out and take a look. We are now scheduled for next Friday (8/11).

Also - she was able to confirm that our area can receive the local HD channels and that my account is properly setup to receive them.

Last edited:
call Action Antenna. I had the same problem the company they send out are idiots. Call directv tell them you have installers that can fix your problem and they need to reimburce you. Be very forcefull and determined they will reimburce you for it. Idid they gave me $150.00 credit for it and a free reciever. They know MAStech are idiots.

charper1 and posstefmikala...

I am a complete idiot.

Since I completed the alignment, I have been looking at the OTA local channels in my guide (mistakenly thinking these were my local HD channels)! This plus the fact that the pair of locals showing up for each station had different call letters, which made me think we were getting the local channel for both Baltimore and DC in standard definition (which would account for the pair in my mind).

We haven't been watching much TV in the evenings since I performed the realignment, so there hasn't been much local HD content anyway. But last night I turned on the Hall of Fame Game on NBC, and noticed the HD symbol beside the listing in the guide on the channel I thought was the standard definition for Baltimore, and a little light bulb went off in my head. When I selected it, it came through in beautiful HD :)...

With all of that said, I still stand beside everything I've said about MASTech - they were completely horrible in their attempts at setting it up.

Anyway - sorry for the wild goose chase, and thanks for the guidance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)