AT9 install suggestions / Ideas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
I'm having a 5LNB installed Friday. My existing dish is mounted on the north side of my house to my fascia board then pointing southwest( the foot print of the bracket is bigger than the fascia board ( it hangs below the fascia board about 2 1/5" ), so its kinda shaky ) Do I need some under the eave setup ? ( if even available ) would the installer have something like that to install the new heavier dish ? I would like to have it bolted directly to the concrete wall and coming up from under the eave - this would seem much more stable ? Do they even have equipment to do this ? my dish cant be mounted on the south side because of a neighbors tree's. If needed I would pay extra - i just don't think my current dish setup would be adequate for the new heavier dish. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• satellite 002.jpg
    satellite 002.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
johnml said:
I'm having a 5LNB installed Friday. My existing dish is mounted on the north side of my house to my fascia board then pointing southwest( the foot print of the bracket is bigger than the fascia board ( it hangs below the fascia board about 2 1/5" ), so its kinda shaky ) Do I need some under the eave setup ? ( if even available ) would the installer have something like that to install the new heavier dish ? I would like to have it bolted directly to the concrete wall and coming up from under the eave - this would seem much more stable ? Do they even have equipment to do this ? my dish cant be mounted on the south side because of a neighbors tree's. If needed I would pay extra - i just don't think my current dish setup would be adequate for the new heavier dish. Any ideas ?

I would suggest a pole mount if you can. It's the most stable. Don't even think about mounting an AT9 on a fascia board even if it bolts to the end of the roof rafter. You can't get more than two bolts into the rafter, which isn't enough.

johnml said:
About how high should pole be ? what diameter ? thanks

The pole is 2" diameter. You can get them at a local fence company. The height depends on line of sight issues. I assume in Ft Lauderdale that is shouldn't be much of a problem. Two feet into the ground and whatever you need above, maybe three or four feet I would think. BTW, my Mom lives in the Oakland Park section in the Royal Park condos. Are you anywhere near there?

raoul5788 said:
The pole is 2" diameter. You can get them at a local fence company. The height depends on line of sight issues. I assume in Ft Lauderdale that is shouldn't be much of a problem. Two feet into the ground and whatever you need above, maybe three or four feet I would think. BTW, my Mom lives in the Oakland Park section in the Royal Park condos. Are you anywhere near there?

I would have to put it on the north side of my house and I only have six feet from the property line, so I would need to find a pole tall enough to get a sight line above my roof, so I would need a 12'-14' pole including 2' in ground. I wouldn't know where to look for one that size. Ideally the installer could move it to the South side of my house and just bolt it to the concrete wall, but my neighbor has a big tree, so i don't think that's a option either. any ideas ? my picture kinda shows my situation. thanks -

Attachments

• satellite 002.jpg
    satellite 002.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 203
johnml said:
I would have to put it on the north side of my house and I only have six feet from the property line, so I would need to find a pole tall enough to get a sight line above my roof, so I would need a 12'-14' pole including 2' in ground. I wouldn't know where to look for one that size. Ideally the installer could move it to the South side of my house and just bolt it to the concrete wall, but my neighbor has a big tree, so i don't think that's a option either. any ideas ? my picture kinda shows my situation. thanks -

Why not put the pole right below the existing dish? Use a clamp like the ones electricians use one conduit to attach it to the fascia (actually it is a rake board, fascias are at the botton of the roof, rakes run from the fascia to the peak of the roof). Bury the pole two feet into the ground using concrete. You can get one long enough from a fence company. I bought one 12 feet long. I suppose they come longer than that if necessary.

johnml said:

A pole would work six feet from your house. Your elevation for the 119 is high enough to clear your roof.

if the foot print is bigger than a regular dish, how would the installer install it ? my regular dish foot is bigger than the fascia board it's attached to. if they try to attach the new dish the same way it might just pull off the whole board. I was hoping that wall mount might work because my wall are concrete block, so that would be ideal. Do they make a wall mount for the AT9 ?

Last edited:
johnml said:
if the foot print is bigger than a regular dish, how would the installer install it ? my regular dish foot is bigger than the fascia board it's attached to. if they try to attach the new dish the same way it might just pull off the whole board. I was hoping that wall mount might work because my wall are concrete block, so that would be ideal. Do they make a wall mount for the AT9 ?

PLEASE DON'T MOUNT THE AT9 TO THE RAKE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There, I feel better! :)
Seriously, fascias and rake boards aren't strong enough for a P3 dish, much less for an AT9. I might be prejudiced, but I think my idea of a pole mount directly beneath the existing dish is the best idea. You can attach the pole to the rake board for added stability.

Im trying to find a post long enough - Lowes sells a 2" x 10' but i need at least a 12 ' post. ive been looking in the phone book and calling fence companies but no luck so far -

johnml said:
Im trying to find a post long enough - Lowes sells a 2" x 10' but i need at least a 12 ' post. ive been looking in the phone book and calling fence companies but no luck so far -

How far is it from the ground to the roof line?

We bought a 12' 6x6 pressure treated post at Home Depot for around $40 for our D* install in March '06.I put 3' of it in the ground,anchored it with 100 lbs. of concrete.We had the AT9 and 2 H20s installed.Everything has worked just fine for us since the install.We have had several stormy days and nights (alot of rain and winds) since this was done,we've had no issues with loss of programming or anything of that nature.The D* tech that installed this for us came back out once to adjust the dish for our HD locals from D*,other than that,everything has worked smoothly. :up :) I am attaching a few pics of the install job to view.

Attachments

• 100_0166.JPG
    100_0166.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0151.JPG
    100_0151.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0150.JPG
    100_0150.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_0152.JPG
    100_0152.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0158.JPG
    100_0158.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0161.JPG
    100_0161.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_0162.JPG
    100_0162.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 180
raoul5788 said:
How far is it from the ground to the roof line?

It's about 10 feet. I was hoping to find a fence post long enough, but will probally go the wood route. probally a 6"x6"x12' - Wont look the best on the side of my house but would do the job until a bracket is made . The above bracket won't fit a AT9.

I am afraid a pole is not going to work for my AT9 install next week. I have lots of trees around. My current dish is high up on my roof above the tree line. What are my options? Can I do roof, Chimney, directly into the hardy plank siding? Any Ideas??

ejdowden said:
I am afraid a pole is not going to work for my AT9 install next week. I have lots of trees around. My current dish is high up on my roof above the tree line. What are my options? Can I do roof, Chimney, directly into the hardy plank siding? Any Ideas??

If you post some pictures of your current setup, it would be easier to give you an answer. Besides, I like to look at pictures! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)