ATSC 3.0 Simulcast Discussion

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Good evening you guys what is the repack? Do tv stations go straight from the repack to nextgentv (atsc3.0) any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Allen bluegras

Leave the higher frequencies.

Maybe later go to lighthousing and ATSC 3.0.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Good evening you guys what is the repack? Do tv stations go straight from the repack to nextgentv (atsc3.0) any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Allen bluegras

Where you been hiding the last couple of years, lol.

In the event you’ve been lost in space for the past two years, the Channel Auction and Repack exists to shift TV broadcasters to VHF and lower-UHF channels, with the goal of freeing up spectrum for wireless services for mobile devices. A distant model was the BAS Relocation program from 2005 to 2010, which also had broadcasters giving up a slice of spectrum for the benefit of a cellphone company.

More at the link:
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/repack-begins-deadlines-tight

Do tv stations go straight from the repack to nextgentv (atsc3.0) any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
The repack is upon many of us. It will drain down the OTA pool until there are only 35 channels left (RF2 through RF36).

ATSC 3.0 (Next Gen TV) will have to coexist with DTV stations in what remains of the OTA spectrum. The FCC has decided that Next Gen TV will have to make its own way and it won't become the broadcast standard until some large percentage (>95%?) of the population has voluntarily bought their way into the new standard.

If it all sounds impossibly difficult, it may well be.

Maybe later go to lighthousing and ATSC 3.0.
I'm not sure how practical it is to lighthouse DTV. Stations are trying it but is it doing more harm than good?

To me it makes more sense to buddy up on ATSC 3.0 where many channels can supposedly be more readily accommodated.

Or a combination of both.
If they squeeze DTV too hard, viewers will seek other venues and OTA will implode.

They'll promise that the grass is greener on the Next Gen TV side but I believe that those who have money to spend won't be convinced to upgrade to get similar performance and those who don't have the money to spend won't be able to afford the new equipment. There are too many online options to have to suffer the consequences for the limited benefit received.

Flexibility is largely something that only the broadcasters will benefit from.

Hummm, this stuff is really confusing my 73 year old brain? :coco

So we went from analog signals to digital a number of years back and in order to do that, I got converter boxes for the analog TVs so I wouldn't have to junk them and buy new ones. Now they are getting ready to do something else and my question is, will the 4 Digital TVs I have in my house now still work with these changes that are being made or are they going to be junk?

I noticed early last year that I'd lost some of the channels that I'd previously had and was thinking maybe that was an equipment problem? Now I'm not so sure?

So, can someone please tell me in simple terms what's going to happen that's going to cost me money and or how many of the OTA stations that I can get now am I going to lose?

Thanks

So we went from analog signals to digital a number of years back and in order to do that, I got converter boxes for the analog TVs so I wouldn't have to junk them and buy new ones. Now they are getting ready to do something else and my question is, will the 4 Digital TVs I have in my house now still work with these changes that are being made or are they going to be junk?

I noticed early last year that I'd lost some of the channels that I'd previously had and was thinking maybe that was an equipment problem? Now I'm not so sure?

So, can someone please tell me in simple terms what's going to happen that's going to cost me money and or how many of the OTA stations that I can get now am I going to lose?

Thanks
If the ATSC 3.0 is adopted and implemented, then it will be the digital conversion all over again. As stations switch over to ATSC 3.0, you would not be able to receive them OTA without a new converter box. The "repack" has to do with certain stations changing frequencies and does not involve ATSC 3.0. A simple rescan to pick up the change in frequency is all that is needed.

Reactions: primestar31

Thanks

The government is selling off the higher frequencies. Thus TV stations are changing the frequency that they use. If you have lost some channels, I would go into your TV channel setup and rescan your channels. The channels that you lost may have changed their frequency and they will reappear after a rescan. This is separate from the ATSC3 conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Assuming your antenna can get the new, lower frequencies.
That's a repack thing.

There's not much easily accessible information out there about where the broadcasters plan to light up their Next Gen TV channels. They could put them anywhere in the spectrum that isn't already in use.

That's a repack thing.

There's not much easily accessible information out there about where the broadcasters plan to light up their Next Gen TV channels. They could put them anywhere in the spectrum that isn't already in use.
Correct. The post to which I was responding referenced the repack and re-scanning to pick up the newly repacked channels, which, in turn, was a response to a post concerning OTA channels that had gone missing.

I just finished helping install and test a new VHF TV transmitter in So Cal to replace a UHF for a station doing the repack thing. It should go to air today and they need to vacate their UHF frequency very soon for another station to take over. Its the same programming, same ATSC format as the older UHF station.

Another bit of confusion with the repack, is the number of stations that are giving up their broadcast licenses for the big bucks, but are not leaving the air. Instead, they have an agreement with another licensee to broadcast on one or more of their sub-channels.

Reactions: Justin Hill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)