Audio Blips. Does anyone else get these? Like every once in a while seems to drop a word or two.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right now I'm getting it for the first time on the NBA preview stations trying to watch Bulls - Pacers.

Got the updated software sometime today so I'm trying a reset of the box.

explain the details of how you are connected and audio setup before you do all that

explain the details of how you are connected and audio setup before you do all that

Easy setup, Panasonic plasma connected via HDMI. Never had any sound issues before, tonight was the first night I tried to watch some of the League Pass games. All channels had horrible audio drops. All other channels were fine but the same channels on any of the "Fox Sports" stations was having the same issue. By the time the restart happened and I got back on the TV all the games are over. I'll check again tomorrow night when they are back being broadcast.

charper1 said:
NO / or not really; The term coaxial or coax for short, simply comes from the design; an inner conductor and the outer shield sharing the same geometric axis. It is not the cable connection type. RCAs, Components, F-type (what most people think of as "coax"), Digital Coaxial Audio, BNC, N-type and SMA are all types of coax cables (a very small list at that).

(other digital audio options.) CLICK

3ft High-quality Digital Coaxial / Subwoofer Audio: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2

3ft Optical Toslink Digital Audio Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1447&seq=1&format=2

I use HDMI and get no pops or drops. My buddy gets them with HDMI but not with the TOSLINK going through an A/V unit. I have another buddy that gets it with HDMI going direct to his TV; turning OFF DD solves this as a direct to TV is NOT multi-channel audio. I don't think this is anything more than a hardware compatibility issue.

DD - turning off Dolby Digital? Through Menu>audio option ? Sorry if I'm sounding more stupid:)

Yeah I get blips. The screen may flash for a brief second and I loose audio for that second too. It's real quick, but noticeable. Its worse when it happens when playing Rock Band 3 on XBOX 360. Come to think of it, I think it's an HDMI thing since that is also connected via HDMI. I only ever see random blips like that on HDMI (DirecTV, at one point Comcast, XBOX, etc...) My Plasma TV is from 2007 so they stopped making new firmware for it. It's already updated so I don't know what else to do besides save up for a new TV. At least for me it's sporadic enough where it isn't a really serious problem. Maybe 2 times per day it does it.

charper1 said:
yes, if directly connected to TV with HDMI, go into the DirecTV receiver and turn off dolby digital.

I'll be dang. That may have fixed it. I'll follow for a few more days.

I didn't turn off DD; I use the picture from the HDMI on the TV but the audio from the digital coax to my receiver.

I told that user to turn off DD because he is directly connected to a TV that isn't mufti-channel audio, so that will be the correct setup selection. Your setup is different. As is mine from both of you.

I route all my audio and video sources into the A/V head-unit and allow it to do all the A/V switching (seen below). All my video sources are HDMI and I have zero audio drops. All my audio sources are connected via S/PDIF TOSLINK.

I still believe this is nothing more than hardware compatibility issues.

Attachments

• onkyo_tx_nr708.jpg
    onkyo_tx_nr708.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 137
I get the dropouts occasionally on my TV's speakers with DD turned off with my receiver connected to my TV via HDMI. I also have analog audio from my receiver connected to my stereo amp via RCA cables and get the blips that way as well. It as been especially bad on Animal Planet HD lately.

But even if turning off DD did fix it entirely, how many Directv subscribers read this forum and would even have any idea about how to do that? Directv needs to be more proactive about trying to fix this problem. As I said in a previous post, when I called D* to complain about it the CSR I got didn't even know what I was talking about and had never even heard of the problem before. That level of incompetent customer service is unacceptable.

I get the dropouts occasionally on my TV's speakers with DD turned off with my receiver connected to my TV via HDMI. I also have analog audio from my receiver connected to my stereo amp via RCA cables and get the blips that way as well. It as been especially bad on Animal Planet HD lately.

But even if turning off DD did fix it entirely, how many Directv subscribers read this forum and would even have any idea about how to do that? Directv needs to be more proactive about trying to fix this problem. As I said in a previous post, when I called D* to complain about it the CSR I got didn't even know what I was talking about and had never even heard of the problem before. That level of incompetent customer service is unacceptable.

CSRs are not tech or engineers AND what makes you 110% this is solely a DirecTV issue? Many, many, many users do not have this issue at all with the exact same DirecTV hardware and firmware as you and many others.

CSRs are not tech or engineers AND what makes you 110% this is solely a DirecTV issue? Many, many, many users do not have this issue at all with the exact same DirecTV hardware and firmware as you and many others.
Because some users don't have the problem doesn't make it any more acceptable that others do. Based upon the volume of discussion of this issue on the Net there must be a sizable number of people who do have the problem, otherwise it wouldn't be discussed so much. At DBSTalk there has been an ongoing thread about this for a long time. The thread takes up 33 pages.

On which channels do you have audio dropouts? - DBSTalk.Com

CSR's don't have to be techs or engineers, but considering how prevalent this problem is you would think that at least they would have heard about it and could connect me to someone who can help even if they can't. If I can't get help from a CSR at Directv when I call then whom am I supposed to call?

The size of the threads on a few online forums does not state any actual facts or some any actual determination of where the issue resides. Its all very basic and rudimentary assumption. Even based on these minute statements and comparing them to the known total subscriber base figures, it is very, very small. The phrases "sizable amount" and "how prevalent" are still just assumptions at total numbers.

Again I am not saying it is acceptable or not and that does or does not happen to you, what I am saying is that there is not much fact out there showing where this issue begins, why and who is at hand to correct it. How are YOU 1110% sure its not hardware compatibility and JUST DirecTV's fault? Is this because you read or heard that it was? Great, but I am just looking for factual evidence that can be recreated. Simply people repeating it over and over and each person repeating what they heard or read and reposting it does not make it correct factually. If it were 110% a DirecTV issue, then nearly ALL subs would have this issue; "the VAST majority", but they do not. I can likely point to as many people or more that don't have the issue as those unique users that have posted in threads from a few forums.

Last edited:
If it's hardware compatibility then it is Directv's fault. As I already said, I have my satellite receiver connected directly to my TV via an HDMI cable and I am getting the dropouts even with DD turned off. I happen to have a Vizio TV and Vizio is the best selling brand in America. So if Directv is putting out hardware that is incompatible with the best selling TV brand in this country then yes it's their fault. They should see to it that their hardware is fully compatible with the best selling TV brand in this country.

And by the way, I have my TV hooked up that way because that is the way that the Directv installer set it up. He didn't ask me how I wanted it hooked up. He took out the HDMI cable that came with the receiver and connected it to one of the HDMI ports on my TV. So even if the way my set is hooked up is the cause of the problem then it still is Directv's fault because that's how their installer did it.

Plus I never said that a majority of Directv subscribers have this problem. But as long as some are having this problem then it's unacceptable. In this thread alone 12 different people have acknowledged having the problem.

Last edited:
Into day 3 and no more audio issues after turning off Dolby Digital on all receivers and TV's.

I guess it could come back but as of now, everything is solid.

hoos51 said:
Into day 3 and no more audio issues after turning off Dolby Digital on all receivers and TV's.

I guess it could come back but as of now, everything is solid.

Update. Dolby Digital still turned off. Not 1 audio blip since.

I have the Bose 5/1 system. So I guess I'm not hurting anything having DD turned off.

It looks like the guy turned my TV speakers off when he set it up.

Am I right?

It you have a direct to TV connection turn off DD as that is not multi-channel; if you have a multi-channel audio setup leave DD turned on and explore you other connection options. Digital Coaxial, TOSLINK, HDMI. Test another A/V head unit if you can. Try an alternate HDMI cable. The "blips" will go away I can assure you.

charper1 said:
It you have a direct to TV connection turn off DD as that is not multi-channel; if you have a multi-channel audio setup leave DD turned on and explore you other connection options. Digital Coaxial, TOSLINK, HDMI. Test another A/V head unit if you can. Try an alternate HDMI cable. The "blips" will go away I can assure you.

OK. I just looked at the back of my Direct receiver. The only thing coming out of the back of it are red and white audio going to the back of my Onkyo. My receiver is usually turned off unless i want to play music on deck, kithchen, etcccc

There is also an HDMI cable going from the Direct to 2 HDMI ports in the Bose Box.Also HDMI cable in video on the Bose box.

Lots of HDMI in Bose box....lol. So does this count as a direct to TV HDMI hook up ? I'm getting confused.

If not , does this mean I'm not fully utilizing my Bose system with DD turned off? And how the heck do I know if a show is broadcasting in the 5 and one......sorry for rambling..

How does the picture get to the TV? Does the Bose decode DD? On my Denon receiver, it clearly displays "DOLBY DIGITAL" or "DOLBY EX" or "PLx M" or whatever. What does yours say?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts