Audio drop outs

I'm making another push regarding this. It's hard because there is no pattern that we've been able to see (I guess I have to go into the test room and watch TV the rest of the night to look for a pattern ;)).
but Boss... I gotta watch... its for this audio drop out thing... ;)

in reality.. you know it usally takes an engineer to monitor pre and post satellite for the glitch .. and then narrow it down each time a glitch occurs from a live feed.. till they find someone let the top open on the ant farm sent up with that satellite for the kids class in kookamunga on how ants react in near zero g environments... damned rugrats and their nutty experiments!

I'm making another push regarding this. It's hard because there is no pattern that we've been able to see (I guess I have to go into the test room and watch TV the rest of the night to look for a pattern ;)).

Please do. I'm watching a movie on 308 (HBOZone HD) and it's happened 3 times in the last half hour...

What's showing right now? Maybe I can go "look for a pattern" ;)

In all seriousness, I sent a couple emails today, but probably won't hear back until Monday.

It was "Robin Hood", but it just ended a few minutes ago. Wish I'd logged into the site earlier.

I've sent emails to Dish-Quality too, they say they're working on it, but I've seen almost no improvement in the audio dropouts in the past 2 months, especially in the HD channels in the 300-356 range (premium movie channels).

I'm hoping that my emails have some pull in them, considering I reported this months ago, and the fact that so many people are effected. With no pattern in the dropouts though, it's hard to report. Saying "the audio is dropping out for everyone, whenever it wants, on all channels" makes me seem like a bit of a lazy nut, so I've been giving examples of exact times and channels hoping to find a clue of some sort.

Add me too. For the last few months, 722k, 211k, WA, HDMI. Every time I watch a show on Showtime-E HD there is at least one audio dropout per show, if not more. Check out Nurse Jackie on Monday nights.

It only happens here on my 622 with the HDMI output from the box. Optical to my stereo works fine. Other HDMI sources (DVD, computer) to the TV are also fine. IF I leave it alone when it starts to break up, it will start to break up momentarily then for longer and longer periods of time until the audio is completely gone. Then it starts to come back in the same way, small bursts gradually getting longer until it has been fully restored. Pausing and immediately resuming also resets it until the next time it starts to break up. There are times when I have to just mute the TV and use the stereo it becomes that bad. It is not channel dependent. Also, SD programming is approximately 3 times as loud as HD. I have to reduce the volume before watching an SD channel from an HD one.

What's showing right now? Maybe I can go "look for a pattern" ;)

In all seriousness, I sent a couple emails today, but probably won't hear back until Monday.

I'm using an HDMI cable on my 622 as well. My audio dropouts are intermittent however, only last for maybe half a second at a time, but can as frequent as 5 minutes apart to an hour (or more) apart. Movie channels are particular prone to displaying the problem, at least for me...

Further on both problems:
If I turn off the Dolby Digital output from the 622 and select PCM only, the audio level comes up to the level of SD . Perhaps the dolby digital output has a low sound volume level. (I do have to crank things up during a Dolby Digital program, where the light on the stereo comes on. The low volume is on both the HDMI connected TV as well as the optically connected stereo). Plus, the HDMI audio appears to work better. But, then I have no surround sound.

It only happens here on my 622 with the HDMI output from the box. Optical to my stereo works fine. Other HDMI sources (DVD, computer) to the TV are also fine. IF I leave it alone when it starts to break up, it will start to break up momentarily then for longer and longer periods of time until the audio is completely gone. Then it starts to come back in the same way, small bursts gradually getting longer until it has been fully restored. Pausing and immediately resuming also resets it until the next time it starts to break up. There are times when I have to just mute the TV and use the stereo it becomes that bad. It is not channel dependent. Also, SD programming is approximately 3 times as loud as HD. I have to reduce the volume before watching an SD channel from an HD one.

Last edited:
3 drop outs on Starz W. Camelot (from 12 AM to 1:45 AM airing). They are at (time left of show) 1:00:14, 0:35:13,& 0:31:47 (last one is a scene change so not completely sure it is a drop out) lost locks is now showing 3:15. My set up is a 722k(on EA), HDMI out to Yamaha 7.1 receiver that switches audio & video to my Panny 42" Plasma. BTW Camelot is a damn good series too.

Last edited:
I've had these audio dropouts for a year or longer, really since having the 722 installed. Generally just a few seconds but always at the wrong home times, very annoying. Connected through a Pioneer home theater system. By the way no problems with audio from other sources including streaming audio from internet sources. I have not noticed drop outs while viewing live shows. I watch almost only HD shows. West Coast. Antenna pointed southwest.

I called Dish Technical Support for my 922 in February to check if it was a "known issue." They said it was not. I initially thought it was my system, a cable perhaps. Finally in March, I called back and they said it was a defective receiver. I was charged 15 dollars for the warranty swap. Needless to say, my refurb 922 still has drop outs. I called Dish Network Tech Support after the refurb receiver dropped and they refuse to acknowledge it is a known issue. The rep insisted that I needed a service call.

This issue is annoying and I wonder what kind of priority Dish has for resolving it. The fact that this spans from January to now is appalling, especially considering the size of my bill.

The fact that this spans from January to now is appalling, especially considering the size of my bill.

There are a lot of appalling things in life. Occasional drop-outs are hardly one of them.

I disagree! Not when I'm paying this amount per month and this issue has been going on since late January (I emailed the Audio-Video Quality folks about it back then). I still experience it (as do others, obviously) and yet it appears to be an issue they (Dish Tech anyway) denies exists. The A/V Quality folks at least admit that it's an issue they're working on with the engineers...but c'mon...4 months (or more) and it's still an issue?

What, are they behaving like some air traffic controllers lately...asleep on the job? :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)