Audio drop outs

This is not like wanting to know about negotiations, or when the next new HD channel is coming. This is an obvious wide spread problem, and I have to agree deserves some kind of acknowledgement of it, and what is being done. Not making it a life changing problem is where I agree with KAB, but I don't think anyone is here, we just want it acknowledged and fixed. :)

I watch plenty of live tv and plenty of DVR'd stuff and it happens either way, quite random, but for me, it's the worst on 300-356 (HBO through Starz). It doesn't often happen on HDNet or HDNet Movies (362, 383) and rarely on Epix1 and 2 (380, 381).

Maybe I ought to try watching the non-mapped-down versions and see if it makes a difference...anyone try that yet?

Yes in Dish Latino max I have the problem on BBC HD (5308) often. There are very few map down channels for Latino packages.

Not sure if this is related but I am starting to get random audio dropouts but only only the center channel. For example, I have 722k and a Samsung surround system and I am attempting to watch the NASCAR race tonight but the commentators continue to cut out while the rest of the audio I just fine. I change the channel and the audio is just fine. It appears to be very random and not on any specific channel. I have been doing a hard reset on my receiver and this seems to correct the problem for 12-24 hrs and then the issue happens again. Anyone else experiencing anything similar??

Thanks,
Jared

what happens if you turn the volume up on your surround system? I've had something simlar happen to me with my old surround unit .. the front left speaker would cut out, switching from 6 ohm to 2 ohm and back would usually clear it, then tapping on the unit near the ohm's switch would clear it ... eventually it failed all together :) I now have an Onkyo 808 receiver (does web audio streaming & DLNA .. pretty cool) If increasing the volume (rapidly if possible) and back allows the sound to come back also, then you're likely looking at something in the receiver or the speaker.

what happens if you turn the volume up on your surround system? I've had something simlar happen to me with my old surround unit .. the front left speaker would cut out, switching from 6 ohm to 2 ohm and back would usually clear it, then tapping on the unit near the ohm's switch would clear it ... eventually it failed all together :) I now have an Onkyo 808 receiver (does web audio streaming & DLNA .. pretty cool) If increasing the volume (rapidly if possible) and back allows the sound to come back also, then you're likely looking at something in the receiver or the speaker.

I noticed the audio glitch sounds like a pop when I go hdmi straight into my samsung LCD. When it goes through the receiver, the pop gets suppressed by the onkyo thus no sound.

I noticed the audio glitch sounds like a pop when I go hdmi straight into my samsung LCD. When it goes through the receiver, the pop gets suppressed by the onkyo thus no sound.
possibly different glitch ... audio dropouts I've had never popped, and you're the first to mention.. wondering what receiver you have, maybe a difference in how another receiver handles it.

Hi, DIRT has received an update about the audio drops on STZ & HBOHD. Since Matt is off for the next couple of days, I am passing the update on. It seems that the problem has been identified and “the vendor responsible for this equipment at HBO and STZ has discovered … [and] is in the process of developing a software patch that will solve the problem.

We would like everyone to be aware that this fix is not an overnight process and will be time consuming to implement. We appreciate all the information obtained here on Sat Guys, which helped the engineers identify the problem. Thank You!

Hi, DIRT has received an update about the audio drops on STZ & HBOHD. Since Matt is off for the next couple of days, I am passing the update on. It seems that the problem has been identified and “the vendor responsible for this equipment at HBO and STZ has discovered … [and] is in the process of developing a software patch that will solve the problem.

We would like everyone to be aware that this fix is not an overnight process and will be time consuming to implement. We appreciate all the information obtained here on Sat Guys, which helped the engineers identify the problem. Thank You!

Thank you for the update. Hopefully "time consuming" doesn't mean "months"...

Thanks for the info. Now the BBC Am HD needs to be checked to see if it has the same problem.

Mary,

That's great for those channels, but many of us have reported widespread issues, including our Sat delivered HD locals. On a couple of my locals it seems almost like intermittent censor bleeps.

Is a broader reason, like receiver software being considered??

Mary,
That's great for those channels, but many of us have reported widespread issues, including our Sat delivered HD locals. On a couple of my locals it seems almost like intermittent censor bleeps.
Is a broader reason, like receiver software being considered??
All of the problems have been reported and there is not just one problem causing all the various audio drops. We are working on them all and we will update information as it becomes available. We are certainly not stopping at STZ/HBO and we are working to resolve all the oustanding issues as quickly as possible.

I haven't noticed the audio drop problem this week and I normally experience it when watching Weeds/Big C. Perhaps the issue resolution is starting to show.

j.vo said:
I haven't noticed the audio drop problem this week and I normally experience it when watching Weeds/Big C. Perhaps the issue resolution is starting to show.

I too noticed audio dropouts with weeds/big c this week too.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I posted a thread last night in the Tech forum about audio corruption. I've noticed small dropouts while watching Inception on my DVR, only like 3 o 4 throughout the movie. But I have totally corrupted audio when I recorded a show on HD Theater. The AVR kept switching from Dolby D to Pll2 Movie mode back and forth like crazy. When it would recover the audio was totally garbled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)