Audio drop outs

j.vo said:
I called Dish Technical Support for my 922 in February to check if it was a "known issue." They said it was not. I initially thought it was my system, a cable perhaps. Finally in March, I called back and they said it was a defective receiver. I was charged 15 dollars for the warranty swap. Needless to say, my refurb 922 still has drop outs. I called Dish Network Tech Support after the refurb receiver dropped and they refuse to acknowledge it is a known issue. The rep insisted that I needed a service call.

This issue is annoying and I wonder what kind of priority Dish has for resolving it. The fact that this spans from January to now is appalling, especially considering the size of my bill.

Refurb 922. Say WHAT!!! Already!

hmmm i never noticed the drops, i watched camelot too and never noticed anything. There's a lot of different reasons for things like that happening, all varying from receivers, to the cables to the signal off the dish, surround sound speakers, amps, settings, wiring on surround sound, tv speakers, grounding issues..... just off the top of my head. J.vo, the fact that you got a replacement 922 and it's still occuring likely means the first receiver was probably fine. Your initial assumption that it was the installation was more likely correct. Have a service tech come out and look at it. SP + $15 bucks isn't much for a house call these days.

hmmm i never noticed the drops, i watched camelot too and never noticed anything. There's a lot of different reasons for things like that happening, all varying from receivers, to the cables to the signal off the dish, surround sound speakers, amps, settings, wiring on surround sound, tv speakers, grounding issues..... just off the top of my head. J.vo, the fact that you got a replacement 922 and it's still occuring likely means the first receiver was probably fine. Your initial assumption that it was the installation was more likely correct. Have a service tech come out and look at it. SP + $15 bucks isn't much for a house call these days.
The only problem with that .... and not to make it like I'm an ass .. but you're 163 posts into this problem.. and nearly everyone in the thread has had the same type of drop out ... occur ... the only real way to troubleshoot this, would be to have 100 users across the USA plus a couple of users in Dish Central all watching the same exact channel... each one reporting when they get a drop out ... also noting any atmospheric conditions, etc..

Most of the transient stuff has also been discarded ... as the drop out gets recorded in the DVR's stream. When putting that all together.. and especially since most folks notice that this is happening more frequently, and again spread all over the Eastern & Western Arc's, and effects pretty much all the mainstream receivers ... it strongly suggests the problem is not in the equipment or at the homes of the users .. but either the satellite, or the Uplink of the signal.

If it only effected the 922's that would be something, if it only effected the K branch of recievers (722k, 211k) etc.. *that* would be something... if it only effected EA ... that would be something.. but this really seems wide spread, and happening enough and even seems to have been caught once or twice by members of the Dish IRT ....

The only problem with that .... and not to make it like I'm an ass .. but you're 163 posts into this problem.. and nearly everyone in the thread has had the same type of drop out ... occur ... the only real way to troubleshoot this, would be to have 100 users across the USA plus a couple of users in Dish Central all watching the same exact channel... each one reporting when they get a drop out ... also noting any atmospheric conditions, etc..

Most of the transient stuff has also been discarded ... as the drop out gets recorded in the DVR's stream. When putting that all together.. and especially since most folks notice that this is happening more frequently, and again spread all over the Eastern & Western Arc's, and effects pretty much all the mainstream receivers ... it strongly suggests the problem is not in the equipment or at the homes of the users .. but either the satellite, or the Uplink of the signal.

If it only effected the 922's that would be something, if it only effected the K branch of recievers (722k, 211k) etc.. *that* would be something... if it only effected EA ... that would be something.. but this really seems wide spread, and happening enough and even seems to have been caught once or twice by members of the Dish IRT ....

I've done it a Camelot & PM'd to one of the DIRT ppl here. Only happen once since & it was on OTA instead of sat so didn't try sending the info on that since they don't get the same signal at the uplink as I get here. The locals for this area via sat aren't HD.

I've done it a Camelot & PM'd to one of the DIRT ppl here. Only happen once since & it was on OTA instead of sat so didn't try sending the info on that since they don't get the same signal at the uplink as I get here. The locals for this area via sat aren't HD.
so then the problem you're having doesn't fit with the rest ... ie.. any non-OTA channel experiencing audio drop outs.. I know it wasn't said that way in the beginning ... but that's been clearly the intent of the thread.

a Dropout from the OTA channels would then bring into question OTA modules, antennas, multipathing, and broadcast anomolies. ... the only overlap there would be broadcaster anomolies.

The main reason original broadcast anomolies are not being considered, is that its happens on multiple channels that have nothing (at least not known) in common with each other.. HD of ABC, and Cinemax ... two completely unrelated broadcasters...

so then the problem you're having doesn't fit with the rest ... ie.. any non-OTA channel experiencing audio drop outs.. I know it wasn't said that way in the beginning ... but that's been clearly the intent of the thread.

a Dropout from the OTA channels would then bring into question OTA modules, antennas, multipathing, and broadcast anomolies. ... the only overlap there would be broadcaster anomolies.

The main reason original broadcast anomolies are not being considered, is that its happens on multiple channels that have nothing (at least not known) in common with each other.. HD of ABC, and Cinemax ... two completely unrelated broadcasters...

I didn't say that. I have had drop outs on sat (Camelot is Starz) and that is what I gave them info about. But have also had some problems w/ OTA as well. If it had been mult-path it wouldn't have just been an audio drop out. It would've been both vid & audio.

I didn't say that. I have had drop outs on sat (Camelot is Starz) and that is what I gave them info about. But have also had some problems w/ OTA as well. If it had been mult-path it wouldn't have just been an audio drop out. It would've been both vid & audio.
Sorry I misunderstood the broken thoughts then... because
watchel1 said:
I've done it a Camelot & PM'd to one of the DIRT ppl here.
and
watchel1 said:
Only happen once since & it was on OTA instead of sat
didn't seem to make much sense ... probably too early or late with regards to complete thoughts.. ;)

Here, it is channel independent. It is also only HDMI related. Simultaneous audio from the optical output is not affected and is fine. I can pause a program and, when resumed, there is no HDMI audio at all. If I momentarily pause and resume again, the HDMI audio is either restored or intermittent. The HDMI audio can also start to break up , and, if left alone, the length of each interruption increases until there is no HDMI audio at all. If I let it go further, the HDMI audio will start to come back with short momentary bursts of audio which lengthen until full uninterrupted audio is restored. Sometimes I have to mute the TV completely and just use the stereo which is fed by the S/PDIF optical out of the 622, of which there have been two that exhibit the same characteristics. IF I set the 622 to PCM only, then there is no problem and the HDMI audio does not break up. However, there is no surround sound, either. FWIW...

I think you have a different problem than what most of us are talking about. The drops in audio happen across all outputs not just HDMI, in fact the reason I notice the drop out more, is when I'm on my AV Receiver, because it uses the Optical output ... when I watch and enable audio from my tv and the av receiver (which causes a little echo effect since the optical output & hdmi audio are not 100% in sync) I can see the receiver trying to re-sync to dolby digital, while I hear the momentary audio drop out, and have audio back to the TV via hdmi faster than the optical retrains on my av receiver.

Here, it is channel independent. It is also only HDMI related. Simultaneous audio from the optical output is not affected and is fine. I can pause a program and, when resumed, there is no HDMI audio at all. If I momentarily pause and resume again, the HDMI audio is either restored or intermittent. The HDMI audio can also start to break up , and, if left alone, the length of each interruption increases until there is no HDMI audio at all. If I let it go further, the HDMI audio will start to come back with short momentary bursts of audio which lengthen until full uninterrupted audio is restored. Sometimes I have to mute the TV completely and just use the stereo which is fed by the S/PDIF optical out of the 622, of which there have been two that exhibit the same characteristics. IF I set the 622 to PCM only, then there is no problem and the HDMI audio does not break up. However, there is no surround sound, either. FWIW...

I also have a 722 and EA this has been aproblem for quite sometime now and still continues, the only fix I have found is changing channels and coming back restores the sound.
That usually works for be but sometime only a rest stops it. Wouldn't that make it a receiver issue? I have two 722k and it only seems to happen on one.

That usually works for be but sometime only a rest stops it. Wouldn't that make it a receiver issue? I have two 722k and it only seems to happen on one.
I've also started having the same problem on my 211k ... or I should say started noticing it on that receiver .. since I'm usually *not* on the 211k ... during the weekend when we have visitors ... that's when the 211 gets its use.. and when I also noted the drop outs happen there too...

This would point the issue at either atmospheric, or my house's dish specific (since it happens on two different 722k's , and a 211k) but for the fact.. that *i* am not the only one experiencing it ... then its also not geographic ... north/south of me have the problem, and then not just on the EA feed, because people watching va WA (western arc) have reported the same problems..

So.. problem is either satellite or before that (uplinks, ground stations, other sat stations that are rebroadcast, etc)

Now one thing to possibly trouble shoot .. pick a more common channel it happens on .. put listening stations around the US in a 9 part overlay ...
ie. Boston, Miami, Washington DC, Minneapolis, Wichita, San Antonio, Seatle, San Francisco, & San Diego.​
Same channel on all recievers.. someone watching say DC ... as soon as the problem happens, they immediately check the feed coming to the ground stations across the US .. in league with DVR feature to get the drop out captured... and they can then build a rough idea.. is it all parts of the US (EA WA) does it happen at the exact same spot? is there a difference in timing? (ie. solar flare might corrupt something closer to the flare first, then effect half way around the US as the flare's effects wash over the earth..etc..

And that's if dish didn't already have a clue.. I'm sure they started locally .. pre/post uplink DVR'd systems .... post uplink yields the audio problem ... but preuplink doesn't.. thereby narrowing still further the problem..

That's if dish had the resources and where-with-all to actually want to hunt this problem down..

Last edited:
Happens all the time I record a show, usually record shows on Showtime HD with my 722k and it's a common occurrence
but also happens on other HD channels, also have HDMI & Optic plugged into my Onkyo A/V receiver and then to TV.

Drop outs also happen when I watch show live although not as often as when I'm recording it.

I've also started having the same problem on my 211k ... or I should say started noticing it on that receiver .. since I'm usually *not* on the 211k ... during the weekend when we have visitors ... that's when the 211 gets its use.. and when I also noted the drop outs happen there too...

This would point the issue at either atmospheric, or my house's dish specific (since it happens on two different 722k's , and a 211k) but for the fact.. that *i* am not the only one experiencing it ... then its also not geographic ... north/south of me have the problem, and then not just on the EA feed, because people watching va WA (western arc) have reported the same problems..

So.. problem is either satellite or before that (uplinks, ground stations, other sat stations that are rebroadcast, etc)

Now one thing to possibly trouble shoot .. pick a more common channel it happens on .. put listening stations around the US in a 9 part overlay ...
ie. Boston, Miami, Washington DC, Minneapolis, Wichita, San Antonio, Seatle, San Francisco, & San Diego.​
Same channel on all recievers.. someone watching say DC ... as soon as the problem happens, they immediately check the feed coming to the ground stations across the US .. in league with DVR feature to get the drop out captured... and they can then build a rough idea.. is it all parts of the US (EA WA) does it happen at the exact same spot? is there a difference in timing? (ie. solar flare might corrupt something closer to the flare first, then effect half way around the US as the flare's effects wash over the earth..etc..

And that's if dish didn't already have a clue.. I'm sure they started locally .. pre/post uplink DVR'd systems .... post uplink yields the audio problem ... but preuplink doesn't.. thereby narrowing still further the problem..

That's if dish had the resources and where-with-all to actually want to hunt this problem down..

This sounds like having to watch live TV. I don't do that but less than 1% of the time.

I watch plenty of live tv and plenty of DVR'd stuff and it happens either way, quite random, but for me, it's the worst on 300-356 (HBO through Starz). It doesn't often happen on HDNet or HDNet Movies (362, 383) and rarely on Epix1 and 2 (380, 381).

Maybe I ought to try watching the non-mapped-down versions and see if it makes a difference...anyone try that yet?

Worse ever for me tonight, it is on NESN+, Channel 441. And changing the channel does fix it for awhile usually. (HDMI and Tos Link)

Last edited:
There are a lot of appalling things in life. Occasional drop-outs are hardly one of them.

KAB, what should I do, just pay my 125 dollar bill every month and except degraded audio quality? Relative to life, yes. But when I am tired, and want to enjoy what I pay for, the reproducible (DVR) audio dropout issue is disappointing. It disrupts the context of dialog in many cases. I understand that receiving a satellite signal is highly technical and that issues arise. I understand that they take time to resolve. All I would ask for is regular communication with Dish about the status of the issue and what they are doing to resolve it. My experience with calling tech support is they have NOT acknowledged it and insist on replacing hardware unnecessarily or charging for service calls that are not needed. The number of similar complaints suggests it is not a local install problem. It seems like the communication within the company between the true technical staff and the phone support staff is non-existent.

Perhaps deep inside the DISH tech support, they are working on it. We have no idea what the priority is. I can deal with the issue, just acknowledge the issue and give updates on the resolution process. Perhaps letting phone support know there is even a problem may be warranted too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts