Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

I can tell you that my 622 *will* fail if it's not kept cool.
<snip>
Bought a laptop cooler & will install that & keep you posted. Current temps: 134/111/127 (ouch).

A little better: 134/102/111 (that last number is reassuring).

Haven't had an issue with it all week. Keep fingers crossed.

- Paul

Try this: http://www.hometheatercooling.com/

I realize it's $50 and not $17, but to protect a $500 piece of equipment I feel my investment was definitely worth it.

It is very quiet and pulls a good volume of air. I placed mine on a cloth mat so the small amt of noise (<29dBa) wouldn't be amplified through the wooden shelf.

Place it 3/4 inch from left vents on ViP622 and cooling worries are gone.

Mine's been running 24/7 for 9 months - still purrs like a kitten.

And how stupid looks all the customer's troubles if Dish engineers could spent a little more time for make the part of DVR works as need!

Little change in positioning hard drive ( give a gap at top ) and made a plastic shroud ( you can see similar in DELL PCs for CPU fan) with proper positioning a fan what will prevent using recirculation of internal hot air.

Man ! I would fire those "engineers" who did the design if they works in my department if he will show his first draw to me !!!

I am using a120mm case fan on top of my Showstopper 2000, powered by 5V from the HD jumper.

It is considerably noisier than the one on my 622, which IS 120vAC plugged into the power strip, no load on the 622 power supply.

I was basically comparing it to the laptop coolers which blow or suck (not sure which) air through the bottom of the 622, not the natural air flow pattern with the vents on left and right sides.

BTY the frame of the fan on the 622 is cast aluminum and the blade is plastic.

Where along the left side of the 622 should one place a single fan ?

I bought a Thermaltake USB-powered fan (has adjustable speed knob), and reading the thread, it seems that the best place for one fan is the left side exhaust fans. But they run the entire length of the unit, so where along there is best ?

Thanks!

I bought a Thermaltake USB-powered fan (has adjustable speed knob), and reading the thread, it seems that the best place for one fan is the left side exhaust fans. But they run the entire length of the unit, so where along there is best ?

Thanks!

I have the same fan, I taped it on left side exhaust about 21/2" from the back. It sucks air out of the 622

Thanks!

YOu can see internal layout on Scott's pictures of the 622 and find more details in my posts with pictures.

If you gonna make it right - do two fans - pushing room air from right side into DVR and suck hot internal air from left side !
For a space as small as the inside of the 622 case, that doesn't seem to be necessary (although I'm sure the more the merrier).
I put the one fan in an arbitrary spot towards the back of the left side (since the intake on the right is towards the front) and there is definitely hot air coming out of it.
[ While I have the 622 in the open on a shelf, it is surrounded by hot things: A/V receiver on the left, 721 on the riight, and directly in front of it the hot air vents on the top of the LCD. I don't have air conditioning and the temp is regularly 80+ degrees in the house during the summer. I'm thinking that the most effective thing might be a duct from the intake vents to below the floor, so that actually cool air is pulled into the 622. ]

PS Which threads did you post pictures in ?

Here's my solution to my 622's heat issues - totally solved it running so hot:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=98179

Used to be a high of 127F with an average of 118F. Need to wait a few days to see what my new temps are in the counters, but the hard drive is now cool to the touch - whereas it used to be quite hot... If I had to guess, I'd say the drive now runs at about 80F. :)

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

I wish i could get my hands on a ViP222 top cover with all the slots in it. It looks like a grille. The ViP222 has the same housing, so therefore the top cover should fit on the 622. This should help with heat going out of the unit through the top. I don't understand why they used a cover like that whereas a 222 has all those slots in there and doesn't employ a hard drive like the 622. Also any other electronic device that generates heat, like amplifiers have slots everywhere in the top cover. Don't tell me it's because of dust, because that fan in the 622 acts like a vaccum cleaner and sucks all kinds of crap in there and blows it straight onto the hard drive. And the fan in MY 622 runs ALL the time. You can see it running looking through the air intake on the right side using a flashlight. This is the 3rd 622 I have and all 3 of them had it running all the time. it doesn't run on full speed though. My 622 is sitting on top of a cabinet with several feet of airspace surrounding it, and keeping the room temperature at around 76F. Average temperature is about 125F, and it's been the same on all three units I had. (B, C and now E-series)

Ever opened a PC after having it for a year or so, to see how it looks like in there? The far left corner of the 622 is extremely hot too. That's where the power supply is located.

If you read my notes, I did run the fan from steady 3.3 V source on the PCB - and had no effect on temp level whatsoever !
So, the slow rotation what you see doesn't make any change for your DVR temp. :(

If you read my notes, I did run the fan from steady 3.3 V source on the PCB - and had no effect on temp level whatsoever !
So, the slow rotation what you see doesn't make any change for your DVR temp. :(

I know, but you opened one of yours and yours didn't run at all, so makes me wonder why there's differences. I just wondered if a cover like on the new 222 would make a difference, like if you would remove the top cover completely. The heat should be dissipating upwards.

BTW, my new 622, that's a week old, develops the same reboot issues as the previous two. Makes me wonder if it's related to the LNB drift. I'll get my new 1000.2 tomorrow, and that should take care of the LNB drift, and hopefully of the reboots also.

"I know, but you opened one of yours and yours didn't run at all, so makes me wonder why there's differences." - I did force it to rotate 24/7 at low speed, but gather no effect.

Here is what the Thermatake USB Fan A1888 looks like on the left exhast slots of my 622 (I used an odd piece of wood, and some black electrical tape to get it to the right position, probably something more elegant looking could be devised) - you can see the speed control knob on the bottom left of the fan:
Thermafan.jpg

I have my 721 on the same shelf, to the right of the 622, so I had to put a plastic shield (made from a CD case) in between the exhaust vents on the left of the 721, and the intake vents on the right of the 622, so the hot air from the 721 wasn't sucked right into the case of the 622. :rolleyes: :
622-721.jpg

I mentioned the latter situation to alert other Forum members, because I only realzied that this would be a problem from reading the 622 review that specified that the air intake was on the right (the 721 has its intake on the bottom, which could be a problem for those who stack units).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)