AZBox Help

SwanSat

Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Dallas
Need some help with my new AZBox. Don't know where exactly to post for help.

Sorry if this is the wrong place.:)

Box locks up on loading screen. Will not go any further. Booted fine the first time to setup and browse around. Took a break and turned it off. Could this be an update issue? Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

If you have anything plugged into the USB ports, unplug them and try powering up again. If you don't have anything on the USB ports, then it would be useful to download a firmware version, maybe 2880, and put the "patch.bin" file in the root directory of a USB memory stick, formatted FAT ( not fat32, or NTFS) . Then power up the box again with the USB stick in a usb slot of the stb. See if you can update the firmware.

Have not plugged a USB into the box at all. Would like to try that also. Where do I find a safe version of the update file? Mine did not come with a CD.

Well...I tried all the tips and it still won't get past the loading screen. I did download the update formatted as FAT on the USB. Looked like it was going to read it but just sits there.

Are there any other updates that might work before I send it back?

If not, I guess this one is going back for a replacement.

Also, I'm curious whether anything shows up on the TV screen, and/or what showed up on the LED screen? This is probably not your problem, but just in case your screen is blank and it looks like it's just sitting there, this might be your issue. My memory is foggy, but I had a problem when I first got my Azbox, whereby nothing showed up on the screen, which made it hard to follow the on screen directions when doing the initial setup and later when I did the firmware upgrade something similar happened. I think it was related to selection of one of the various video output modes, ie I was connected via HDMI, and the box was only outputting via some other mode. Nothing appeared on the TV, so it looked like the box was frozen, when in fact it was waiting for some input from me. I think I read about some accidental keystroke sequence that could also get you in a mode where you couldn't see the screen too. I think that in my case, I experimented and finally got it to display, and the next time I think I switched to the RCA A/V outputs which were active.
Anyway, if this sounds anything like your symptoms, you might try connecting a TV to the A/V RCA output, and see if it's waiting for an input from you.

Also, I'm curious whether anything shows up on the TV screen, and/or what showed up on the LED screen? This is probably not your problem, but just in case your screen is blank and it looks like it's just sitting there, this might be your issue. My memory is foggy, but I had a problem when I first got my Azbox, whereby nothing showed up on the screen, which made it hard to follow the on screen directions when doing the initial setup and later when I did the firmware upgrade something similar happened. I think it was related to selection of one of the various video output modes, ie I was connected via HDMI, and the box was only outputting via some other mode. Nothing appeared on the TV, so it looked like the box was frozen, when in fact it was waiting for some input from me. I think I read about some accidental keystroke sequence that could also get you in a mode where you couldn't see the screen too. I think that in my case, I experimented and finally got it to display, and the next time I think I switched to the RCA A/V outputs which were active.
Anyway, if this sounds anything like your symptoms, you might try connecting a TV to the A/V RCA output, and see if it's waiting for an input from you.

Ah yes! Great point B.J.!

I remember reading this before. While the receiver is booting up, press the "RESOLUTION" button on your remote until you see the resolution format on the front panel of the box, keep pressing that button until your display on the TV pops into view.

I think that a virgin box will be set to a certain resolution mode and that mode may not be compatible with your TV or entertainment center, so you have to scroll to the proper format for anything to display.

There was also something stated regarding having to unravel the list of resolutions twice, like a wrap around sequence. The first set of resolutions may be for PAL (EUROPEAN style) and the second set for NTSC (North American style).

I wish I could recall who posted that, but irregardless, try it on your system and you should be able to get a display up along the way here.

AcWxRADAR

The other day I had to do a data reset and when the Azbox rebooted it was in PAL mode. If you push the resolution button, in the front window display the unit will cycle through all the PAL resolutions and then the NTSC resolutions and which point you should see a display on your TV.

One issue though is that different versions of firmware seem to have different behavior with respect to which buttons you push, and what output types, etc, are cycled through. When I got my box initially, I tried following instructions related to the resolution key, and it didn't work the way it was supposed to. I finally somehow got it to display, and sort of taught myself the sequence, then when I changed firmware, but procedure was different.

One issue though is that different versions of firmware seem to have different behavior with respect to which buttons you push, and what output types, etc, are cycled through. When I got my box initially, I tried following instructions related to the resolution key, and it didn't work the way it was supposed to. I finally somehow got it to display, and sort of taught myself the sequence, then when I changed firmware, but procedure was different.

Good observation, I've never quite trusted the remote switching, so I always use the yellow composite video output to a small TV, and change the video settings in the menu. I feel so much safer.
:)

I did open the box and re-seat the connections as suggested. I also had read in other threads regarding the resolution button on the remote. I think I read them in the pages of theAZBox review.

Had HDMI hooked up at first then tried the RCA output. Still nothing. Thought about pulling the battery to clear the memory but not sure if that would be the right thing to do.

Still have my 4DTV and Traxis 3500 to watch but was hoping for this to work.

Nothing appeared on the screen as of yet. Will try all of the outputs again tonight.

There is a button battery located next to the CAM and PCMCIA slots on the main board. You can see it from the top with a flashlight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)