AZBox P +; time set glitch; timer question

cbuddy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
CA
:confused: I know I have read posts on these before, but cannot locate the posts.

I have two settings issues at the moment:

1. When I manually set time (no WiFi), the time will not stick, or at least reads as a different time in different places - such as the correct time on the time setting menu but a different time on the channel list screen (TV mode), and in the timer menu. I thought maybe it was because the time where the service was generated from was different from my local time, but the time is often off by less or more than whole hours (like 6 hours, 17 minutes, or something). And sometimes I go back to the time settings menu and the time has reverted to a different time and year.

2. I have set a few timers so I can get the "Information" and "Record" features to work, but I cannot decipher the timer instructions to figure out how to get a timer to work. The main problem appears to be that the user needs to set a duration time for a timer event to stay on, but I cannot figure out how to get a field in the timer menu that allow me to set a duration for the timer function. I have set 2 timers, one for "Wake Up" and one for "updates" (which it cannot do w/o internet, but just to have a timer on). Is there something I am not doing, or is this because I do not have the time set by an internet connection? I thought time settings could come via satellite, like a GPS does, but apparently not, or do I have to set it to do so.

Thanks for any help on this.

:confused: I know I have read posts on these before, but cannot locate the posts.

I have two settings issues at the moment:

1. When I manually set time (no WiFi), the time will not stick, or at least reads as a different time in different places - such as the correct time on the time setting menu but a different time on the channel list screen (TV mode), and in the timer menu. I thought maybe it was because the time where the service was generated from was different from my local time, but the time is often off by less or more than whole hours (like 6 hours, 17 minutes, or something). And sometimes I go back to the time settings menu and the time has reverted to a different time and year..

I haven't had any trouble with my "CLOCK" in the AZBox, but I am using either the WiFi or the Ethernet cable to connect to the internet. If you don't have your WiFi configured, you should at least try the Ethernet connection. Then, in the SETTINGS menu, go to LANGUAGE/TIME option and set up your TIME parameters. I set mine up as AMERICAN STYLE DATE (MM/DD/YY), 24 hour TIME STYLE, my offset from GMT (I am -06:00 hours) and then I set DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME as YES (ON) or NO (OFF) depending upon the time of year.

Next, if you have your internet connection active and functioning, go to the AUTO-SYNCHRONIZE (INTERNET) and click OK to GET TIME. The AZBox will go to the URL (time.mit.edu) and synchronize the internal time clock with the time set by MIT. You can check that your URL is correct by pressing the green remote button.

Try this and see if it corrects your time errors.

2. I have set a few timers so I can get the "Information" and "Record" features to work, but I cannot decipher the timer instructions to figure out how to get a timer to work. The main problem appears to be that the user needs to set a duration time for a timer event to stay on, but I cannot figure out how to get a field in the timer menu that allow me to set a duration for the timer function. I have set 2 timers, one for "Wake Up" and one for "updates" (which it cannot do w/o internet, but just to have a timer on). Is there something I am not doing, or is this because I do not have the time set by an internet connection? I thought time settings could come via satellite, like a GPS does, but apparently not, or do I have to set it to do so.

Thanks for any help on this.

For your TIMER function, you will need to have your CLOCK accurate first. How to set up the TIMER functions is explained in the A-Z Guide for the AZBox. The best way to do it is to use MazEdit. In MazEdit, you can set the start and stop times to anything you like. In the AZBox menu TIMER setup, you may only set the duration in 10 minute intervals.

With MazEdit, when you set up the timer event, you have to upload that to the AZBox before it will be implemented, but that is all discussed in the A-Z Guide.

RADAR

Thanks,

I would need to have a thirty foot ethernet cable running through the house, so I 'll just wait until I set up a router for WiFi. Hardly a priority for me with our sluggish dial-up, but eventually I may indulge in a wireless service (which here is still only .5MB / sec - hardly worth the bother).

I would like to know how to set the ten minute intervals you wrote about, Radar. Even those might help, although I imagine the timer function cannot really work without time and power always supplied to the unit (I power mine off daily, and we suffer power outages at least once a month or more here (I'm not kidding!).

I guess I can try a USB storage device for recording to see if it works for when I really want to record something. I did view some video material from a USB device, and it worked flawlessly. AND, while a dedicated hard drive added to the AZBox must be FAT config., does a USB device also need to be? The one I played the video file from did not specify it's file system (odd, as most do if you view properties).

Meanwhile, what a great unit this AZBox is - remarkable picture and nimble channel changing, although it does have some "QUIRKY" programming & menus, even for a Linux OS, and it would be cool if a mouse could be connected. I've read about keyboards, and as my remote will not run with Linux, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a keyboard to hook up with the AZBox P +

Thanks,

I would like to know how to set the ten minute intervals you wrote about, Radar. Even those might help, although I imagine the timer function cannot really work without time and power always supplied to the unit (I power mine off daily, and we suffer power outages at least once a month or more here (I'm not kidding!).

Cbuddy,

Starting in TV MODE (viewing the channel you want to record or play on a TIMER), press the MENU button and scroll down the options to RESERVE RECORD/PLAY. When you press OK to enter this option, you will see all the parameters that you can set to activate your record event. When you highlight each field, you can adjust or set each parameter as needed. Just below the START TIME, you will see the DURATION field. This is where you can adjust the length of the record event (or play event). I think you can see the disadvantage to only being able to adjust the duration in ten minute intervals.

The TARGET field will display options such as HDD, USB1, USB2 etc depending upon what devices you have connected or installed.

After the event has been recorded, to play it back, press MENU and select RECORDED PROGRAM and scroll ? / ? to select the record device and you will see the programs recorded and can select which program to replay.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)