Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

I don't think so. There are still a lot of RSNs that won't be going anywhere:
NESN
NBC Sports RSNs
YES, Marquee Network (Minority owned by Sinclair but aren't part of the Bally bankruptcy proceedings)
MSG
SNY
MASN
Monumental fka NBCS Washington
Team owned former ATTSN RSNs (Space City Home Net, SportsNet Pittsburgh)
Spectrum SportsNet
Altitude

Reactions: AZ.
I don't think so. There are still a lot of RSNs that won't be going anywhere:
NESN
NBC Sports RSNs
YES, Marquee Network (Minority owned by Sinclair but aren't part of the Bally bankruptcy proceedings)
MSG
SNY
MASN
Monumental fka NBCS Washington
Team owned former ATTSN RSNs (Space City Home Net, SportsNet Pittsburgh)
Spectrum SportsNet
Altitude
Sooner or later, they will be affected by the loss of per sub fees, advertising is already down, so getting less for that.

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
A friend of mine did tell me back in February that he wouldn't be surprised if NESN, Yes, SNY were the only RSNs left by the end of this year. I guess I can prove him wrong eventually since the new year is in just over two months from now? LOL

A friend of mine did tell me back in February that he wouldn't be surprised if NESN, Yes, SNY were the only RSNs left by the end of this year. I guess I can prove him wrong eventually since the new year is in just over two months from now? LOL
i wouldn't miss em if they did leave. i'm sick of listening to crybabies crying for more money when there worth millions!!!

Speaking of RSNs leaving and as previously mentioned, Bally Arizona is shutting down entirely on 10/21 at 3am ET/12am MST/PT. If you jump to that date and time it just says SIGN OFF.

Reactions: John2021
Since you brought up NESN, I will use them as a example how bad it will be.

Boston-Cambridge-Newton metro area population is about 4.9 million people.

Typical Household size is 2.6 people, divide by the population means there are almost 1.9 Million Households.

Nationally, only about 40 Million out of 70 Million has a service that receives the RSN ( Comcast, Charter, DirecTV, smaller cable companies), the rest have a service that does not carry it ( Dish, YTTV, etc) or they have a package without it ( like entertainment with DirecTV).

So nationwide, only 58% of Live TV Subscribers get the RSN.

Apply that to the Boston area, leaves it with only 1.1 Million households.

So, the average per sub fee I keep hearing for a RSN is $6-8 a month.(ESPN is $9 for example)

So, if $6 a month, that means $6.6 Million a month, $79.2 Million a year.

If $8 a month, $8.8 Million a month, $105.6 Million a year.

From that, that have to pay very high rights fees for Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics.

I have read the Red Sox gets , estimated, $104 million a year

Then cord cutting continues, this year and next, another 10% loss, which is roughly, another 100,000 leaving Live TV in the Boston Area.

Again, give them 2-3 years

• Sad
NESN doesn't have the Celtics, NBC Sports Boston does.
Also, NESN's coverage area is much more than the Boston metro, all 6 New England states (except Fairfield County in Connecticut) are served by them. NBC Sports Boston has slightly smaller coverage as Fairfield, New Haven, and Litchfield counties and the southern portions of Middlesex and New London counties in CT are not served by them.

KNXV already has two HD signals, the main 15.1 ABC channel and 61.1 KASW CW ATSC 1.0 simulcast. So chances of upgrading 15.2 to HD are slim-to-none because of bandwidth limitations.
It’s done plenty of times. My market (Mankato, MN) has NBC, CW and circle in HD as Circle carries MSU-Mankato hockey games on it.

Minneapolis has a few stations with 3 HD stations on it.

NESN doesn't have the Celtics, NBC Sports Boston does.
Also, NESN's coverage area is much more than the Boston metro, all 6 New England states (except Fairfield County in Connecticut) are served by them. NBC Sports Boston has slightly smaller coverage as Fairfield, New Haven, and Litchfield counties in CT are not served by them.
Without knowing who gets what and population, hard to do the numbers.

But the RSNs need to get the rights fees down, since the money coming in, is only enough to cover those.

Just think, just 7 years ago, there were 100 Million Cable/Satellite Subscribers, all of which had the RSN, now only about 40 Million receive it.

• Wow

Amazon and Apple are the new RSNs, I guess?
Apple is the new "RSN" for MLS, they hVe every game blackout free now, and it's only been like tht since thsi year's season, until then they were on RSNs, like here until then I got Red Bulls on MSG and NYCFC on YES.
It seems like other leagues will follow that model now???

Amazon and Apple are the new RSNs, I guess?
This is just for the national deals, which the NBA want double in rights fees vs the last contract.

Rumor is Warner is already dropping out because of the price.

ESPN the same, specially since they are paying way too much for the other sports.

Since they could not afford to renew the Big Ten Deal, means money is getting tighter because of cord cutting..

So the NBA is turning to streaming, Google said no interest , that leaves Apple/Amazon.

This is just for the national deals, which the NBA want double in rights fees vs the last contract.

Rumor is Warner is already dropping out because of the price.

ESPN the same, specially since they are paying way too much for the other sports.

Since they could not afford to renew the Big Ten Deal, means money is getting tighter because of cord cutting..

So the NBA is turning to streaming, Google said no interest , that leaves Apple/Amazon.
I realize this may be paywalled, so this is the part I was referring to.

"Amazon and others have indicated they would find it even more appealing if the NBA could package national TV rights with local-market rights—so they can show people in Indiana the games of the hometown Pacers, for example, and the same in other cities around the country, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The league is looking at doing just that, some of the people said, and the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports —parent of the Bally Sports branded regional channels that once operated under the Fox Sports Net brand—is expected to accelerate those efforts."

I realize this may be paywalled, so this is the part I was referring to.

"Amazon and others have indicated they would find it even more appealing if the NBA could package national TV rights with local-market rights—so they can show people in Indiana the games of the hometown Pacers, for example, and the same in other cities around the country, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The league is looking at doing just that, some of the people said, and the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports —parent of the Bally Sports branded regional channels that once operated under the Fox Sports Net brand—is expected to accelerate those efforts."
Wish they could do that with all sports leagues, need the rest of the RSNs to fall, certain markets are still a few years away for that.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm worried about the unfair advantage for teams with larger payrolls than others. The NFL does it right with salary caps.
All leagues have caps or penalties....The owners created it all!....I will not blame an elite player from getting all he can....The owners shell it out players get their cut.....40 years ago those owners got it all! There is a reason MLB owners wont open their books for all to see.