Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

All leagues have caps or penalties....The owners created it all!....I will not blame an elite player from getting all he can....The owners shell it out players get their cut.....40 years ago those owners got it all! There is a reason MLB owners wont open their books for all to see.

Every MLB team should have the same payroll. It shouldn't be based on the size of the market or the size of the TV contract.

Every MLB team should have the same payroll. It shouldn't be based on the size of the market or the size of the TV contract.
The high rollers get big penalties for their spending....Same could be said on the opposite side how the Pittsburgh Pirates run there organization, and the Oakland Athletics....It goes both ways!
But that will not lower rates for TV, because a market that has 20 million, compared to one with 8 million will be different. Yankees have YES network....The Cubs have their own....They have a huge fan base.

Yankees have YES network....The Cubs have their own....They have a huge fan base

Just because they have a huge fan base doesn't mean they should have a lopsided edge when it comes to player payroll.. this is why small market teams rarely win. With the NFL, you have a system where a midwestern team like the Chiefs can be in the playoffs every year, and even win Superbowls regularly. In the exact same city, you have the Royals, who are lucky to end a season with a record over .500 and they only win when they develop a core group of players over 5-10 years. Then, after they win a World Series, they firesale all the good players to other teams.

The current MLB system is f**ked up and it doesn't benefit any teams except the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cubs and the Red Sox.

Just because they have a huge fan base doesn't mean they should have a lopsided edge when it comes to player payroll.. this is why small market teams rarely win. With the NFL, you have a system where a midwestern team like the Chiefs can be in the playoffs every year, and even win Superbowls regularly. In the exact same city, you have the Royals, who are lucky to end a season with a record over .500 and they only win when they develop a core group of players over 5-10 years. Then, after they win a World Series, they firesale all the players.

The current MLB system is f**ked up and it doesn't help anybody except the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cubs and the Red Sox.
You dont think that would effect the price of a RSN tho? Large market to a small market? It effects everything from payroll, to the price of a beer!

The high rollers get big penalties for their spending....Same could be said on the opposite side how the Pittsburgh Pirates run there organization, and the Oakland Athletics....It goes both ways!
But that will not lower rates for TV, because a market that has 20 million, compared to one with 8 million will be different. Yankees have YES network....The Cubs have their own....They have a huge fan base.
They may have a larger population, but the TV ratings for regular season are not even good, the metro area on New York City is like 8 Million Households, average ratings for the Yankees on Yes were only 240,000 households, that is only 2.5% of the population.

RSNs are not worth the high per sub fee they get.

Dish dropped them, their percentage of cancellations is a lot less then DirecTV, who does carry them, DirecTV used to be 22 Million ( Satellite only) is now right around 9 Million, Dish used to be 13 Million, now at 6.9 Million.

YTTV dropped them, they are the only Live TV that gains subscribers every quarter, now at 6 Million subs.

In comparison, Fubo TV has all the RSNs, added Ballys, since then, has lost about 300,000 subscribers, from 1.4 Million to 1.1 Million.

They may have a larger population, but the TV ratings for regular season are not even good, the metro area on New York City is like 8 Million Households, average ratings for the Yankees on Yes were only 240,000 households, that is only 2.5% of the population.

RSNs are not worth the high per sub fee they get.

Dish dropped them, their percentage of cancellations is a lot less then DirecTV, who does carry them, DirecTV used to be 22 Million ( Satellite only) is now right around 9 Million, Dish used to be 13 Million, now at 6.9 Million.

YTTV dropped them, they are the only Live TV that gains subscribers every quarter, now at 6 Million subs.

In comparison, Fubo TV has all the RSNs, added Ballys, since then, has lost about 300,000 subscribers, from 1.4 Million to 1.1 Million.
You don't think there is Yankees fans all across the country????....

God, I would hope not!

The Muppet Show Muppets GIF

But we are talking about RSNs, but since you brought it up, found this about when they play the Red Sox on ESPN-

Red Sox-Yankees games on ESPN have averaged 1.9 million viewers over the last three years, which is 30 percent better than the average viewership of non-Red-Sox-Yankees game, according to ESPN via The Athletic.

So out of 70 Million that get ESPN, that is only 2.8%.

As far as Yes goes, found better, current numbers-

YES averaged 368,000 Total Viewers for its Yankees games in the New York DMA, a 27% year-over-year increase (290,000); this marks YES' best Yankees season since 2011.

So with a 8 million Household Population , that is only 4.6% of the total household population.

The Population number is only for the NYC Metro Area, I do not know how many more areas receive Yes, which would then cause the percentage to go down.

They don’t have YES, MASN, or Spectrum SportsNet.
I do not know how many more areas receive Yes, which would then cause the percentage to go down.
All of New York State and Connecticut, as well as Northeast PA and Northern and Central NJ receive YES

All of New York State and Connecticut, as well as Northeast PA and Northern and Central NJ receive YES
Connecticut is such a small state, with only 1.3 Million Households, added to New York, drops it from a 4.6% to a 4%.

This is why I hate the RSN model, not fair that the vast majority has to pay for something that only 4% watch.

If you want it, pay for it, not my responsibility to do so to keep the price down, based on that logic, everyone should pay for Disney+ since I enjoy Star Wars and Marvel Shows and want to keep the price down, but you might not, but pay for it anyways since I do.

That is what those who watch the RSNs want the non watchers to do.

Connecticut is such a small state, with only 1.3 Million Households, added to New York, drops it from a 4.6% to a 4%.
You also have to realize YES also has Brooklyn Nets(NBA) and NY Liberty (WNBA) games, and not all areas served by YES for the Yankees games get that. Like Schuylkill, Carbon, Monroe, and Pike counties in PA as well as Tolland, Windham, New London counties in CT don’t get either the Nets or Liberty or both via YES, meaning no blackouts on League Pass for those teams in those areas.

You also have to realize YES also has Brooklyn Nets(NBA) and NY Liberty (WNBA) games, and not all areas served by YES for the Yankees games get that. Like Schuylkill, Carbon, Monroe, and Pike counties in PA as well as Tolland, Windham, New London counties in CT don’t get either the Nets or Liberty or both via YES, meaning no blackouts on League Pass for those teams in those areas.
I know that, but the Yankees will still get the best ratings, which does not change my point, not fair for the extreme majority to pay for a tiny minority , just so they can watch sports ( or anything else).

• Sad
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
That "4%" makes the show the single highest rated thing on TV, every night, all summer. That is the dichotomy of the RSN, and indeed of the wonderful bundle itself. No one thing is all that popular, so those out to save, save, save, can "hate" it. Those out to be entertained can get what they want, for a reasonable price, because the consumer is protected, and everyone's content gets made.

Outside the consumer protecting bundle? Well, a vast wasteland. No RSNs. Which means no out-of-market packages (which are just selling RSN produced material to scattered fans and gamblers). And, no, it doesn't work on OTA either, not in the long run and not outside a few odd markets in the desert. Not much content, of any sort, at all. Just reruns.

Enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
That "4%" makes the show the single highest rated thing on TV, every night, all summer.
I already posted a link last year that showed a few things that had better ratings in NY, Jeopardy had double the amount of people watching, on at the same time.

Another thing you keep posting without any links to prove your point.

Just like you kept saying DirecTV was the most best selling Consumer Electronics item ever, never a link, but I proved you incorrect with links, DVD Players were, then you never mentioned it again, did not even acknowledge you were incorrect.
That is the dichotomy of the RSN, and indeed of the wonderful bundle itself. No one thing is all that popular, so those out to save, save, save, can "hate" it. Those out to be entertained can get what they want, for a reasonable price, because the consumer is protected, and everyone's content gets made.
Bundle sucks, not even close to a reasonable price, I read that the average cable/sat bill without any premiums is $140-up.

I can get the vast majority of new content from Broadcast/Cable Channels, plus HBO, Showtime, Netflix, all the streaming exclusives, at their highest tier, commercial free, 4K, etc for under $100.
Outside the consumer protecting bundle?
Never felt protected , I felt ripped off, specially when forced to pay for a RSN fee and Channels I would never watch.
Well, a vast wasteland. No RSNs.
Good, if they cannot attract enough subscribers to cover the bills, let them die.
Which means no out-of-market packages (which are just selling RSN produced material to scattered fans and gamblers).
How did they handle the teams Diamond/Bally’s dropped, like San Diego for example, seems like they were produced just fine.
And, no, it doesn't work on OTA either, not in the long run and not outside a few odd markets in the desert.
MLB/NBA/NHL teams will take a hit, but the money they have been taking in has been artificially high based on who actually watch the RSNs.

But what they do not get locally anymore, might be made up nationally, with the current report that the NBA wants $6 Million this year and Apple might be willing to pay it.

Not much content, of any sort, at all. Just reruns.
Sounds like what is on current providers right now.
I do, tons more content, not forced to pay for services I do not want.

Just because they have a huge fan base doesn't mean they should have a lopsided edge when it comes to player payroll.. this is why small market teams rarely win. With the NFL, you have a system where a midwestern team like the Chiefs can be in the playoffs every year, and even win Superbowls regularly. In the exact same city, you have the Royals, who are lucky to end a season with a record over .500 and they only win when they develop a core group of players over 5-10 years. Then, after they win a World Series, they firesale all the good players to other teams.

The current MLB system is f**ked up and it doesn't benefit any teams except the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cubs and the Red Sox.
This whole rant has been heard a million times. Facts are that the MLB system is not that flawed. Your point that the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox are benefitting is negated by the fact that none of those teams have won much and actually the sport has been dominated by small market clubs like the Rays consistently winning. Until recently, even the A's were an above average team despite their payroll. Additionally, the Padres are a smaller market team and have been spending out the nose. How's that working for them?

I am not sure what your actual issue is here - maybe your actual team sucks - but the problem with baseball is absolutely not salary cap or a lack thereof.

Agree to disagree. It's severely flawed and has been for a long time.
I don’t think it is. Every team has the right to sign with a broadcaster and that broadcaster can show any non-nationally televised games from that team in any area where the team is eligible to be received by a cable, satellite, or streaming customer.

Reactions: AZ.
I don’t think it is. Every team has the right to sign with a broadcaster and that broadcaster can show any non-nationally televised games from that team in any area where the team is eligible to be received by a cable, satellite, or streaming customer.

This logic is flawed because player salary is relative to the size of that broadcaster's market. Cincinnati/Kansas City/Milwaukee is not NY/LA/Boston

It's unequal, it's unfair, and I'm willing to bet most small market team fans agree with me

Nothing else really to add at this point.

This logic is flawed because player salary is relative to the size of that broadcaster's market. Cincinnati/Kansas City/Milwaukee is not NY/LA/Boston

It's unequal, it's unfair, and I'm willing to bet most small market team fans agree with me

Nothing else really to add at this point.
your logic is flawed because you are assuming player salary automatically correlates with better team performance, which it clearly does not. Milwaukee and Cincinnati both outperformed the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox this year.

The real problem with baseball is revenue sharing which encourages small market teams with cheap owners (KC, Oakland) to race to the salary floor because they will get free money from the big clubs and still turn a massive profit.