Bartlett Earth Station demolition in Alaska.

Watch the demolition of the Bartlett Earth Station, a giant 100-foot diameter satellite dish, based in Talkeetna, Alaska. The Bartlett Earth Station was built almost 50 years ago by a company called COMSAT. COMSAT'S antenna brought communications to the region shortly after Alaska became a state. Now, marking the end of an era, New Horizons Telecom, based in Palmer, Alaska, carefully coordinated and executed the demolition of the giant antenna, making way for more modernized telecommunications systems in Alaska.

Reactions: raydio and Titanium
That was a really cool satellite dish. I don't see the purpose of destroying it. They should have left it up there, as a landmark. It's not like Alaska is desperate for space. Just look at where it was; in the middle of nowhere. "Pave the way for a new generation of communications in Alaska"? What "way" was being obstructed by its presence? They can't string up fiber optic lines up there with that dish being up? I don't get it.

That poor dish wasn't harming anybody! :(

Here it is on Google Maps:

gmaps1.PNG

gmaps2.PNG

It was a liability problem. People repeatedly broke into the facility, and crawled all over everything. Including the dish.

That was a really cool satellite dish. I don't see the purpose of destroying it. They should have left it up there, as a landmark. It's not like Alaska is desperate for space. Just look at where it was; in the middle of nowhere. "Pave the way for a new generation of communications in Alaska"? What "way" was being obstructed by its presence? They can't string up fiber optic lines up there with that dish being up? I don't get it.

That poor dish wasn't harming anybody! :(

Here it is on Google Maps:

View attachment 136474

View attachment 136475
Fiber routes are few and far between in most of Alaska. Telephone service in most of the state is still handled with C band satellite.

It was a liability problem. People repeatedly broke into the facility, and crawled all over everything. Including the dish.

I would think they could have found someone to purchase the dish and site and made use of it. It appeared to be in great shape and probably would have taken minimal effort to put it back into operation. :(

I know this is America and all and it's a country that has a reputation for being litigious, but you are not even remotely legally responsible for an idiot trespassing on your property and getting themselves hurt.

If said idiot filed a lawsuit then they would be laughed out of court and the suit would immediately be dismissed.

They tried to find a buyer, and there was an interested party however it never did pan out. There are only so many uses for a 30 meter C band antenna. It was mainly LNA technology that allowed smaller dishes to replace these monsters, and surface accuracy is not good enough for higher frequencies.

I know this is America and all and it's a country that has a reputation for being litigious, but you are not even remotely legally responsible for an idiot trespassing on your property and getting themselves hurt.

If said idiot filed a lawsuit then they would be laughed out of court and the suit would immediately be dismissed.

Look up the definition of "attractive nuisance"...

Reactions: FTA4PA and raydio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts