BBC World News TV Channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
NHK World News is also good. I believe the NHK news broadcasts are unlocked on Dish. (They don't do that on cable or U-verse, btw) But, subs would need 118.7 access, once it's pulled from 61.5.

Or...how about an International News channel? One channel shared by the major foreign English-language news programming - NHK, BBC, AJ. It is definitely nice to see a global perspective on the news vs the skewed views on Fox or MSNBC, or the dumbed-down CNN and dumber-downed HLN.

Comcast, in numerous markets, carries BBC World News.

Dish Network and DirecTV can do the same.

GaryPen said:
Or...how about an International News channel? One channel shared by the major foreign English-language news programming - NHK, BBC, AJ. It is definitely nice to see a global perspective on the news vs the skewed views on Fox or MSNBC, or the dumbed-down CNN and dumber-downed HLN.

Used to be called Newsworld International, but then it got bought by Current TV, which changed the format. I think Newsworld was operated out of Canada.

TWO NEWS CHANNEL SUGGESTIONS

How about a NEWs MIX CHANNEL like DirecTV has. It shows 8 different news channels at once. You can move between the boxes of any of then to hear the sound, if you want to make the channel full screen you just click select and it goes to that channel.

For the 8 channels include the USA News channels plus the top international news channels including BBC News and CNN world news.

If Dish is going to charge extra for a new Package they should at least offer a News Mix channel which DirecTV includes for free. Having the Internation news plus a News Mix channel would make it worth paying say $5 more a month.

2. BEST OF LOCAL NEWS CHANNEL
(this is kind of like the Scola news channel which plays different internation news all day long) (don't forgot to add Scola to the inter nation news package)
http://www.scola.org/Scola/Aboutus.aspx

For even more news how about a Best of Local News channel, Dish could switch to different local channels showing there local news using the existing Local channels dish has up linked. When there is no local news in the day time Dish could show infomercials and make money.

Agreements would have to be made with each local station, I am sure they would like it as there local programing and local commercials would be played nationally, the local stations own the rights so Dish would not have to worry about Network Copyright or DMA boundary laws. DirecTV does this already today with there Hurricane channel, they have agreements in place. For the last Hurricane they setup a channel and switched between local channels all weekend.

You would follow the SUN.
EXAMPLE:
4PM ET- show some east coast local news, then change feeds as channels go from different 5PM to 6PM local news
Then follow into Central Times zone stations then Mountain time and show 9News Denver or something
The later show the west coast.
Then start all over again for the night time new back at the east coast.
You would have local news showing from different channels from 4PM ET to 1am ET if you follow the SUN to the east then west coast.
As a bonus you could add the Hawaii and Alaska local news when there times come.

What can I say, I love news.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
NHK World News is also good. I believe the NHK news broadcasts are unlocked on Dish. (They don't do that on cable or U-verse, btw) But, subs would need 118.7 access, once it's pulled from 61.5.

You've just described Megahertz World View TV. They several foriegn language newscasts daily. They also air some of the best TV series and movies in Europe. (Anon) 1790 has me hooked, and is an extremely well done drama while at heart being just another TV crime drama, but in a much more interesting setting that is so realistic with characters who are terribly flawed--given the time--amongst our protagonists. Not a single US broadcast network would ever consider doing such a TV crime drama, and the ones that are aired in HBO, etc. (Game of Thrones and the Tudors as just two examples, and two very pretty faced and cleaned up views of a filthy time on our history) are actually FOREIGN productions, not home grown USA dramas.

You've just described Megahertz World View TV. They several foriegn language newscasts daily. They also air some of the best TV series and movies in Europe. (Anon) 1790 has me hooked, and is an extremely well done drama while at heart being just another TV crime drama, but in a much more interesting setting that is so realistic with characters who are terribly flawed--given the time--amongst our protagonists. Not a single US broadcast network would ever consider doing such a TV crime drama, and the ones that are aired in HBO, etc. (Game of Thrones and the Tudors as just two examples, and two very pretty faced and cleaned up views of a filthy time on our history) are actually FOREIGN productions, not home grown USA dramas.
Tudors was Showtime.

TWO NEWS CHANNEL SUGGESTIONS

2. BEST OF LOCAL NEWS CHANNEL

For even more news how about a Best of Local News channel, Dish could switch to different local channels showing there local news using the existing Local channels dish has up linked. When there is no local news in the day time Dish could show infomercials and make money.

Agreements would have to be made with each local station, I am sure they would like it as there local programing and local commercials would be played nationally, the local stations own the rights so Dish would not have to worry about Network Copyright or DMA boundary laws. DirecTV does this already today with there Hurricane channel, they have agreements in place. For the last Hurricane they setup a channel and switched between local channels all weekend.

As a bonus you could add the Hawaii and Alaska local news when there times come.

What can I say, I love news.

Just a suggestion.

I like this idea too - especially if they could rotate through stations and markets. With the plethora of local news - the only time you might not have local news is between 2:35-4am (not including AK and HI) - throw them in and you have a true 24-hour local news cycle.

4am - 7am : east coast early morning news
7am - 10am: west coast early morning news
10am-11am: west coast non-network morning news
11am-4pm: mid day news (there has to be at least one station with an hour long newscast at 11am or noon in each time zone)
4pm-7pm: east coast evening news
7pm-10pm: west coast evening news
10pm-2:35am: late news across America

Bell ExpressVu in Canada used to have such a channel - in periods without live local news, they aired slightly-delayed newscasts or same-day repeats - or newscasts from local stations not carried.

Jim

Looks like 2:35-3:00am is the only time without live local news (if KFVE in Honolulu had a 1 hour newscast or one of the west coast 11pm stations ran an hour we'd be covered 24-hours a day).
J

Do you really want your bill going up 10%?

No, but I'm willing to pay an extra four cents if they add BBC World News.

"The research firm SNL Kagan estimates that BBC World News earned about 4 cents a subscriber a month last year" -New York Times article linked to earlier in the thread.

So there is a Sports add on package. Sounds like we all want a NEWS add on package as long as it does not cost very much.

Any objections?

The Tudors was actually a production paid for by CBC, BBC and Showtime. It aired on all three of those networks. I am not sure what the order was, but I think the BBC had it first.

And Newsworld International was the international arm of the CBC (Canadian) Newsworld programs

The Tudors was actually a production paid for by CBC, BBC and Showtime. It aired on all three of those networks. I am not sure what the order was, but I think the BBC had it first.

And Newsworld International was the international arm of the CBC (Canadian) Newsworld programs
Showtime showed it 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)