BCS is a joke again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I also think that every conference should have a championship game. That is an extra game right there for some teams. All or nothing.

I agree here too.. It's the SEC that started this "Conference Championship" so they could MAKE MORE MONEY, thats all.
The Conference Championship is un nesassary as far as I am concerned, it just add another big game for teams that are trying to stay on top of the polls.

I say get rid of them.

Jimbo

Only if ND joins IMO.

IF so, then I'd set the divisions up like this.

Div A:

OSU
MICH
MSU
IND
NW
IOWA

Div B:
PSU
ND
PUR
MINN
WISC
ILL

5 intra-divsion games, 1 locked cross division game, and 2 rotating cross division games.

Righ now, there are two teams that evey B10 is guarenteed to play every year, while the others rotate with 2 teams you don't play.

My lock game:

PSU-OSU (lock game now)
MICH-MINN (little brown jug)
Wisc-Iowa (rival game now; forgot the prize they fight for)
ILL-NW (interstate)
ND-MSU (play every year now)
Purdue-IND (interstate)

I know what some of you will say: Why put MICH and OSU in the same div? Well, Real OSU and MICH fans will tell you that "THE GAME" should never be played twice! That is one thing I hate about the ACC and Miami/FSU. I see why they did that (money and ratings) , but to play your rival twice is just BS; it dimishes the reg season game. I would NEVER want to devalue that game that happens every 3rd weekend in Nov.

Imagine OSU/MICH winner playing the ND/PSU winner in the title game. Or a IOWA or WISC sneeking in on a up year. Either way, your going to get a great conf title game!

Plus, the div are pretty balanced for MBB too :)

Sorry, I don't like the idea listed here, no need for a conference championship game...
Also there is NO WAY that anyone would agree to only have the conference winner in a playoff and only have 2 at large (8 game senario).
That would mean Michigan or Ohio State ... Fla or Fla State or Miami or whoever else there are, the SEC would really complain about that with usually 3-4 teams in the top 10-15 usually higher...Only 1 of the above mentioned wpould make the playoffs in each conference, thats no good, look at all the money that will be lost.

I know I got some teams mixed up in the wrong conferences , but to only have 1 team fro each conference would leave out a lot of danm good teams and you would probably NOT even have the top 8 teams in that senario.

Jimbo

ND right now takes a Bowl from the BE if they have a good record.

ND right now takes a Bowl from the BE if they have a good record.

Ya and thats a crock of S**t too... that ND get an automatic bid with a paltry 9 win season.
Earle Bruce gets fired for 9 wins seasons and ND gets an automatic bid to the BCS games, regardless if they are any good or not.

Jimbo

Notre Dame needs to join the Big 10. That probably wont happen as long as NBC (Notre Dame Broadcasting Company) keeps throwing large bags of money at them. Eliminating an at - large bid to the BCS would force their hand, but again, that will never happen.

Ya and thats a crock of S**t too... that ND get an automatic bid with a paltry 9 win season.
Earle Bruce gets fired for 9 wins seasons and ND gets an automatic bid to the BCS games, regardless if they are any good or not.

Jimbo

Well....here are the rules from Jerry Palm's website:
*******************************************************************************************************
Which teams are eligible for BCS bowls?

The automatic qualification standards are not the same for all teams. The teams are divided into four groups: automatic qualifying (AQ) conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac Ten, SEC), non-automatic qualifying conferences (C-USA, MAC, Mtn West, Sun Belt, WAC), Notre Dame, and other independents.

There are ten spots in the five BCS bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and the title game). Under no circumstance may a conference place more than two teams in the BCS games. With that in mind, the following teams automatically qualify for one of those spots. (In order of preference. All ranking criteria refer to the final BCS standings unless otherwise noted.)

1) The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.
AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking. Exception: If the #1 and #2 teams are from the same conference and neither is the champion, then the champion of that conference will not participate in the BCS.
2) The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.
3) Notre Dame, if it finishes in the top eight.
4) The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.
5) The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.
If there are still open spots after all that, then any team can be selected by a BCS bowl if it:

-Has 9 wins against I-A opponents, and is rated in the top 14 of the BCS standings, or
-Is a non-AQ conference champion and meets the qualification standard in #3, but was not the highest-rated team to do so.

Once every four years, a team may count a win against a I-AA opponent toward the nine needed for BCS-eligibility. So far, no one has used that exception.

Note that for independents not named Notre Dame, the only way to automatically qualify is to finish #1 or #2.

Also, the #3 provision only applies to the champions of the non-AQ leagues. That means, for example, if TCU were to finish 11-1, but have that loss be to Utah, which is 8-4 overall, but 8-0 in Mtn West play, then TCU could not automatically qualify under rule #3 no matter how high it is ranked.

Last edited:
Here is what is messed up about this: #4 and #5 should be ahead of #3.

How jacked up would it be that Mich could be 11-1, be top 4, but left out cause Boise ST is top 12 and ND is #8. Mich b*tchslaps ND, has 1 less loss, but goes to the Citrus bowl ( or whatever it is called these days)!!!

If it works out this way, don't be suprised to see the voters "pull a Mack Brown" and drop ND or Boise so Mich can qualify.

I'd rather see Non-BCS conf and ND to be considered in the same group.

Also, why arent the independents grouped with ND. IF Temple finishes #7 and ND #8, then temple should get the auto bid over ND. Granted, we have a better chance of Hell freezing over, but just used as an example.

Usc's coming schedule will eliminate them from BCS championship consideration. California, oregon, Notre Dame, and UCLA. It woulbn't hurt my feelings if they lose them all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts