Beckley / Bluefield WV Locals Coming!

DNS_Installer

Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Beckley, WV
As we speak (July 15 09) DNS is "testing" the Beckley / Bluefield DMA Locals on the 118.7 satellite with expected launch within 75 days. I assume it will be much faster then that. The only bad thing about this, that if in fact DNS does launch our locals on the 118.7, almost EVERY customer in the market will have to have a new dish installed, A 500+ or 1000+ to be exact. Bigger dish, and DP34 switch. :( More work is all.

old news ;)

really hate to tell you this but they have been uplinked for 2 weeks

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...1-59pm-uplink-activity-report-59-changes.html

Uplink Comparison Range: 07/01/2009 01:44P - 07/01/2009 01:58P

Channel Additions:
6520(50) - WOAY [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Oak Hill, WV-ABC)
6521(59) - WVNS [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Lewisburg, WV-CBS)
6522(46) - WVVA [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Bluefield, WV-NBC)
6523(8) - WVNSD [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Lewisburg, WV-CBS)
6524(14) - WLFB [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Bluefield, WV-N/A)
6525(53) - WSWP [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Grandview, WV-PBS)

Upgrade

I think it would be free as you will already be paying to have the locals added to your package, although I am not sure. Like I said before though, it is going to about a month before it launches to the public.

Uplink -

Thats what I meant, they are not ON for customers but they are on for testing purposes. - Technically they have 75 days for testing. But with DirecTV rumored to be launching the locals much sooner, I think DNS will be launching them allot faster.

i was wonderting the same thing because i have family here in the bluefield area that also have directv and was upset to find out dish was getting the local channels for this area.

I guess it still stands -- for now-- a Fox affiliate will not be permitted to be imported since Bluefield-Beckley has no Fox affiliate? I'm sure that will be the selling point for the local cable operators to use for customers wanting to dump cable for DBS - "you won't be able to see American Idol on DISH since they cannot give you a local Fox channel". I guess the closest Fox channel is either Charleston or Roanoke?

6523(8) - WVNSD [MPEG2 SD] added to Anik F3 118.7W TP 14 ConUS beam (NA)(Lewisburg, WV-CBS)

This is Fox, it's mislabeled OTA 59-1 is CBS & 59-2 is Fox

correct mroles...that is a Fox station

anything with a "D" on the end of the callsign is a subchannel. The uplink report logs the affiliates by callsign and it doesn't know what subchannels are

i bet though that after dish does get the locals on for this area, it its goint to hurt the cable companies in the mercer county area. this being comcast for bluefield, and suddenlink for princeton area.
i know that i could not stand comcast thats why i have been a dish customer for 6 years now.
i just want the local channels for the network channels not for anything else, since the local channels really do such for this area. with wvva and woay being the two worst.

but i know that most of my family only stay with cable because of the local channels. but they said that they will get the dish once they do, and lots of my neighbors do.
so this means more referals for me..
i know that i have 5 referals now and that will be $25 off my bill.... YAY!!!

but dish has been doing alot of advertising in this area lately. i wonder if this is the reason why

correct mroles...that is a Fox station

anything with a "D" on the end of the callsign is a subchannel. The uplink report logs the affiliates by callsign and it doesn't know what subchannels are

Correct. The FCC data I gathered with the affiliates and stations during the digital transition did not break things down my subchannel. I assume this was done since the FCC considered it to be one signal which it really is. They can care less if they have one channel or 8. I guess that's one thing I can thank Obama for, delaying the transition, which caused the FCC have an excel spreadsheet for me to hack to pieces to grab the affiliates....well..most of the affiliates ;)

probably

by the way, from the above are all the locals Dish is carrying what cable would get?
Looks like the Big 4, PBS and a religious channel
yeah, but if comcast in bluefield also carries 2 roanoke channels.
WDBJ - CBS and WBRA- PBS

and suddenlink in princeton also carries
a couple Roanoke channels and Charleston/ Hunnington locals

but i know that dish cant does this
i wish they could it would be nice if they could

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts