Bell proposes new "freesat" service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If i'm reading this right, I don't like the idea that a television station that I am able to receive with my TV antenna will no longer have an OTA signal because they do not want to purchase the digital transmission equipement and I will be forced to buy a Bell system to continue to receive their "free" signal. Also, if some of the channel I can receive opt in and others don't, I will have to have a TV antenna and a satellite system to get my local channels. I have little doubt that not all will opt in. I can forsee constant Bell adds of for as little as $$$ a month, add so many channels to your viewing. This is definetely a great advantage for Bell if it goes through. The broacasters pay Bell for Bell to transmit their signal. Bell has their equipement in many more homes, and how many will add to their "free" package after the endless adds of what they are missing.
I say FREESAT yes... but not this proposal locking you in to bell equipment and using Bell to decrypt the signal for you. What I want is true free to air signals, using my own equipment.

I say FREESAT yes... but not this proposal locking you in to bell equipment and using Bell to decrypt the signal for you. What I want is true free to air signals, using my own equipment.

For comparison, as I understand it, the receiver for the Freesat service in the UK is built-in on some new television sets, separating the marketing of the receiver from the pay providers. They did it differently over there.

There are some organizations which have an obligation to provide service to the entire population since they are publicly funded, such as the CBC. The current system involves OTA broadcasts in main centres plus a system of OTA affiiliates which play a role in conveying that signal in remoter areas. The problem is that the affiiliate system does not offer the same level of service as in the main centres and there are many areas that are not serviced at all.

The CBC has an opportunity to provide service to all at minimal cost by making an arrangement with a satellite provider to drop encryption on selected channels, as noted previously in this thread.

The CBC should pay the BDU on behalf of Canadians, and by doing so generously send the signal to anyone who is interested in the Canadian flavour and point of view.

That's a good and reasonable point - hard to object! I think, the main reason for low funding of FTA broadcast in Canada compare to OTA is low proliferation of sat services, since most of population, especially those affecting elections outcome, live in large urban areas.

In fact, some of most popular FTA programming is sponsored not by advertisers, but rather by foreign funds and governments trying to deliver their agenda and point of view to local diaspora and broader NA population, who otherwise is only subject to locally sponsored propaganda machine via "free press, free sat, OTA, etc". Such investment pays back by affecting international policy and economic cooperation, especially as diaspora reps get elected to local governments. So, both efforts should be balanced, in particular in News, global policy reviews, and popular Culture segments, including Sports, Holidays, ethnic movies and shows, as well as local and regional economy and policy outlook, etc.

The main problem however is always the same - money. Is now the right time for Canada to deepen its deficit by responding to inevitable OTA broadcasters requests for more funding to deliver FTA programming? May be its better to start following European FTA model slowly, relying on the private sector - it will get fixed by free market anyway as it goes, and government funds will follow as they always do in sensitive areas.

Last edited:
I'm not really up on the baseline economics of satellite versus OTA, but would be very surprised if in fact CBC would not be better off dropping all OTA and moving to satellite, with a mixture of paid and free content which would in fact lighten the deficit outlook. Affiliates would still be able to get their content either from a dish or via fibre.

It's a great pity Bell can only think in terms of its own equipment, but if the N3 situation holds then perhaps in the future they will gain the confidence to recognize that alternate hardware exists.

Its not only about confidence, but also about low proliferation of FTA programming and hardware in Canada. Look, Bev has to maintain similar to DN and competitive to Rogers Cable fee structure having 10 times less subs! I'm surprised they're still in business and growing. It also reflects real broadcast profit margins in sat - they're quite big, if Bev and Shaw can carry it with such a small divided base. As to FTA equipment, DN posted some ads accepting authorization of FTA equipment (which can receive their selected package signal and equipped with a CAM slot). But its mostly about capitalizing on N3 momentum to provide a low cost pass for new subs. For BEV it's a non-issue, since very few Canadians own a modern FTA receiver, compatible in specs with Bell offered Echo* receivers - CAM equipped and able to get DVB-S2 8-psk Turbo MPEG4 N3 encrypted signal, BEV is fast converting to. Also, despite both broadcasters use the same N3 encryption, BEV seems to be much less "informally" protected from pirating than DN, as posted in some forums current IKS results show.

Last edited:
Bell withdraws Freesat proposal

Cartt.ca (you only get one free look at this article)

It seems Bell did not get what it wanted in fact the opposite, an increase in the Local Programming Improvement Fund payments it has to make plus the CRTC is now saying that broadcasters in smaller communities under 300 000 will no longer be required to go digital. Which should lead to a nightmare when trying to re allocate the frequencies that going digital was suppose to free up.

At least the road is clear for some one to come up with a true Freesat service as in Europe

yup.
The CRTC isn't calling it fee-for-carriage, but money to LPIF is essentially the same.
This is very disappointing news.
My guess is Bell will start using the Ka side of Nimiq 4 to sell local stations instead of doing it for free. (the same thing that DirecTV does)

A comment about frequency allocations - in most of Canada it will not be an issue if small communities remain analog. There is lots of spectrum available. The only time this would be an issue is in areas where there are lots of stations - ie GTA. But of course this wont be an issue because the size of the cities are larger than 300000!
You can go all over Manitoba/Saskatchewan for instance and there are never more than 5 or 6 channels you can pick up in any area that I am aware of. Tons of spectrum available, even if they make a slow transition to digital. And still tons of room left to be able to sell off the top of the spectrum as planned.

Edit
Aparently the was miscomunication between Bell and the CRTC (who would have thought?)
BellTV puts freesat back on the table http://www.cartt.ca/news/FullStory.cfm?NewsNo=8400

in case you can't read the article
Bell TV puts FreeStat back on the table

August 06, 2009

GATINEAU – After receiving clarification from the CRTC, Bell TV is willing to put its satellite platform FreeStat back on the table as a possible solution to transitioning smaller over-the-air television stations to digital by August 31, 2011. Bell made the about-face after the CRTC told it that it would not necessarily be excluding FreeSat contributions in determining the market value of over-the-air TV signals.

In a July 21 letter to the CRTC, Bell TV noted “implementation of the proposal would remain dependent on acceptable outcomes in the local/distant signal negotiations and the [Local Program Improvement Fund] LPIF.

Further details will be spelled out by Bell TV in response to the Commission’s July 6 Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009-411, which called for broadcasters and distributors to negotiate a fair price for each OTA television signal.

It was Bell TV’s initial interpretation of that notice that led it to conclude the Regulator was denying the TV distributor the “ability to use our contributions to FreeSat as a consideration, in whole or in part, for financial transfers to the broadcasters that we simply cannot afford,” as reported by Cartt.ca.

“In light of the Commission’s findings (released in this notice), Bell TV will not be in a position to offer a FreeSat service, and we are advising you that we are withdrawing our proposal,” Bell TV stated in its July 16 letter to the CRTC.

In response, Peter Foster, director general of TV Policy and Applications at the CRTC, told Bell TV in a July 21 letter: “Please be advised that we do not share that interpretation. As you know, paragraph 39 addresses the framework for negotiating the value of conventional signals being distributed (be they local or distant). Employing your terminology, we would point out that we see nothing in paragraph 39 that excludes taking into consideration, in whole or in part, your contributions to FreeSat when setting that value.”

Section 39 of the Commission’s Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009-411, issued on July 6, states the CRTC is seeking what mechanisms should be used for establishing a negotiated, fair value for conventional signals. Specifically, it asked for industry comments on the following questions: What regulatory measures are needed to facilitate fair negotiations? What methodology and criteria should be used for determining the fair market value of a conventional signal? Are there any other considerations that the Commission should take into account? What safeguards need to be established so that the negotiations are successful and are restricted to the issue of a negotiated fair market value for the conventional signal being distributed? and What is the appropriate method, if required, to achieve resolution through binding arbitration?

Last edited:
Thanks, the drama continues!
I have mixed feelings about the Bell Freesat proposal, I guess its a step in the right direction although I wish it was more like the European Freesat. If the Europeans can get this too work financially with their market size you would thing it would be possible in North America.

An interesting point from reading the Cartt.ca article (you can get a second look if you delete the cookies) is that it looks like Shaw (Starchoice) where in on the proposal as well, I'm not sure if this means they were going to run a parallel system or share in the financing.

Posted by Iceberg:
Manitoba would be from Winnipeg but they dont have a educational channel

Winnipeg gets Prarie Public from ND, but only on cable.

I really like the Winnipeg OTA channels, even the French one. It would be great to get the national feeds via satellite,

...Canadian world news is so much better than the networks, no filters from Washington. ...

I won't dispute that.

But after spending time in .CA and reading the various newspapers, I would suggest Canadian world news is filtered through somewhere as well. Perhaps Ottawa, or somewhere in Europe... <duck>

What I found stunning about Canadian TV, is how much US content and what not is included... It's not only the entertainment programming, but news as well... Why would Canadians give a crap about what is going on in Washington?

Counter-Political aversion therapy..?
That USA 800 pound gorilla perception thing...?
Boredom? :confused:

Someone has to pay to give you that free signal, aren't they?

yup....advertisers

BINGO! It's funny how people seem to disregard that...

Maybe I'm sensitive to that because I can remember when... paying for TV meant NO commercials... Otherwise, why would you PAY to watch commercials?

That would be great if they run ZK. It has been years since I saw Canadian tv. I do miss the days of Anik C band ITC.

Always wondered why Americans want to watch Canadian tv and Canadians want to watch U.S. tv?

Wonder if possibly Direct or Dish here in the states would follow this lead if it catches on?

I think there are a couple of reasons. One being that there are different shows available. The other one, and perhaps more the case is the "grass is always greener" syndrome.
On the other hand, news from other countries provides a slightly different slant. For example, I like watching North American news from the perspective of the BBC.
For the most part though, most of the popular shows are available on both sides of the border. It's just certain niche programming which makes US programming desirable for me. Channels like DIY are what I go for with my 4DTV system.

I won't dispute that.

But after spending time in .CA and reading the various newspapers, I would suggest Canadian world news is filtered through somewhere as well. Perhaps Ottawa, or somewhere in Europe... <duck>

What I found stunning about Canadian TV, is how much US content and what not is included... It's not only the entertainment programming, but news as well... Why would Canadians give a crap about what is going on in Washington?

We give a crap about what happens in Washington because often it has more impact on us than our politics do. Not to mention it can be more entertaining! :D

Our news is most definitely filtered as well.......not sure if it is to the same degree as it is in the States. I'm sure that most news agencies are filtered to some degree.....but if you get your local news from an overseas source, I think there may be less filtering. I could be wrong. As I mentioned, I like North American news from the BBC.

We give a crap about what happens in Washington because often it has more impact on us than our politics do. Not to mention it can be more entertaining! :D

Our news is most definitely filtered as well.......not sure if it is to the same degree as it is in the States. I'm sure that most news agencies are filtered to some degree.....but if you get your local news from an overseas source, I think there may be less filtering.
All countries are filtered differently IMHO.
I could be wrong. As I mentioned, I like North American news from the BBC.
I love being able to receive the different propaganda outlets.
I got to watch the South Ossetia (Georgia) offense as well as the Gazprom (Ukraine v. Russia Natural gas pipline dispute) incident from BBC World, France 24, PressTV (Iran), Al Jazeera (Qatar), and Russia Today. One satellite at 97W provided all these valuable points of view, execept BBC which I had to use an OTA antenna to get from the local PBS
Being able to watch the different levels of filtering and spin was quite the eye opener. Multiple sources telling the same story except on a few key facts and glossing over others.

My interest in this as an American is to get the Canadian point of view on neighborly topics to compare against the same channels above as well as US media.

I think there are a couple of reasons. One being that there are different shows available. The other one, and perhaps more the case is the "grass is always greener" syndrome.
We caught "The Listener" last night on CTV and found it to be a very interesting show. And we just don't have anybody quite like "Red Green" down here!;)

We caught "The Listener" last night on CTV and found it to be a very interesting show. And we just don't have anybody quite like "Red Green" down here!;)

I guess we get most of what you get but you don't get much of our uniquely Canadian shows. It's almost like we have the best of both worlds here........Add 4DTV for the special channels I like and I've got it made! :D Not to mention that I'm on the border and can get 11 OTA digital channels from the States.........."If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts