Bell proposes new "freesat" service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
a.k.a. "Greedy

a.k.a. Charlie

a.k.a. putting the screws to us!"

It is great to see the Canadian OTA channels that come in now! Why would they have to spend money on encription to protect the greedy US stations??? :devil:

Are they going to stop OTA station from reaching us too??? :rolleyes:

You would think that FTA would be part of the FTA (Free Trade Agreement) !!!... :D

I doubt they could ever stop OTA stations from crossing the border, however they can stop satellite signals from crossing by encrypting them (unless one gets a Canadian sub with a broker or with a Canadian address).

I don't think it is greed, it is contractual agreements that set policy. Canadian stations pay a different rate than the U.S. stations do.

The other concern is that if we here in the U.S. watch distant stations instead of our locals, our locals will suffer because we are not 'supposedly" watching the advertisements on the locals.

I don't watch local commercials...I TIVO or turn the dial during commercials...the concerns of local stations of viewers not watching local commercials is wishy washy at best. One could argue that HBO is taking away viewers from local stations too, yet no one is trying to shut HBO down.

If there was a station from Canada that did not carry any U.S. programming, there could be no rational reason why a station like that could not be shown in the U.S. I don't see why a all news channel from Canada could not be shown in the U.S. I would like to see freedbs carry a Canadian station or two along these lines.

We did have a Canadian All News channel called something like CBC Newswatch on Direct TV some years back, till it was bought out. Newswatch even had some reports from CBS news on it.

Bill_KY mostly has it. It is to protect the rights of US stations, in that Canacian stations carry a lot of the programming US networks do. It so happens US stations have very exclusive rights they would want protected.

If a Canadian station had North American exclusive rights to all of their content, it could in theory, go FTA on satellite. I know of no major Canadian station, either public or private, that fit that description.

The channel you are thinking of was CBC Newsworld, now called CBC NewsNow. While they could put most of their content FTA, they are a cable channel up here, so will not.

The Free Trade Agreement between USA/Canada/Mexico, specifically excluded "cultural" content.

And lastly, the Bell Freesat proposal is wholly separate from the Freesat Canada one. Bell's Freesat was a package of free locals off their existing platform. Freesat-HD is a whole new system.

I doubt they could ever stop OTA stations from crossing the border

If they wanted to, at the time of the digital switchover they could of used directional antennas. (for OTA signals) For those of us on the north side of the boarder, we lost some channels due to directional signals, and gained some others. I would think it would be easier to stop OTA signals from spilling over the boarder than satellite signals.

If it is going to be mostly spotbeams then only the most northern states would be able to pickup any stations and through a broker then with the way this is sounding if you are in the U.S.

I know that this is the way things are...

But...

something to think about...

The U.S. depends on "not friendly" countries for energy, sensitive manufacturing, military issues and who knows what else! But we are not allowed to receive from a friendly nation, their TV shows, which include cultural and educational shows, through the TV media! :confused:

I know that this is the way things are...

But...

something to think about...

The U.S. depends on "not friendly" countries for energy, sensitive manufacturing, military issues and who knows what else! But we are not allowed to receive from a friendly nation, their TV shows, which include cultural and educational shows, through the TV media! :confused:

So very true...

When it comes to TV, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. Here in Canada, most of us want to get US programs. I know many people on the US side of the border who want the Canadian shows :)

For years, I've always loved the satellite technology, because it does give me access to TV that I otherwise would not be seeing because the tv programmers and providers do not carry in my area. US signals are high in demand in Canada.

On Sunday, I'll be watching the SuperBowl on C-Band CBS, because the Canadian Providers will be substituting CTV's signal over the CBS channels.

I would love to see more Canadian content being broadcast in free-to-air satellite. It would give our friends in the USA a different viewpoint on many world issues, other than what the mainstream US media shows.

I support the idea of FreeSat, and also Free HD Canada. FreeHD Canada

So very true...

When it comes to TV, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. Here in Canada, most of us want to get US programs. I know many people on the US side of the border who want the Canadian shows :)
I am going to say, as a Canadian, Canadian's desire for US channels isn''t so much for the programming they don't see on Canadian channels, rather it is seeing some shows earlier than they air on Canadian channels, and not seeing what some Canadians perceive as Can-Con dreck.

As for Americans desire for Canadian satellite, it is for some of the same reasons, but also to get the Canadian and US network stations, which do the Canadian stations do not have as strong a market exclusivity as US network stations do, so are widely available.
On Sunday, I'll be watching the SuperBowl on C-Band CBS, because the Canadian Providers will be substituting CTV's signal over the CBS channels.
It depends on the provider and where you are. If you are in a CTV market, you will get subbed on an any provider. Shaw Direct has the ability to substitute by market on the receiver. I got to see the CBS broadcast of the game on Shaw Direct, because I live outside of a CTV market.

if i could get my hands on it, i would in a heartbeat. Last I remember, Canadian television doesn't advertise prescription drugs and they're not as afraid of showing live television. US networks are afraid of live TV thanks to Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction.

Regarding the $300 upfront cost , I have some questions and concerns. Regarding spot beams (how far South would they reach?), the possibility of it "needing to call home"/phone connection required, after all how would they be assured that people would not "move" to other areas to get away from blackouts?

How many channels could one get ?, would anyone need some form of Canadian ID to purchase the STB?, Could one get the service from a broker, would it be worth the yearly broker fees?

What guarantee is there the service will not go bankrupt or be absorbed by another provider (like Voom did)? If you get 30 channels, that comes out to approximately $10 a channel (assuming that one does not need multiple dishes or LNBs).

If the STB could double as a FTA HD receiver as well, then the $300 upfront cost would be well the gamble. (I know it is $299 cdn, but after shipping costs... it is $300+ . Don't mean to sound negative, just need some concerns addressed.

What guarantee is there the service will not go bankrupt or be absorbed by another provider (like Voom did)? If you get 30 channels, that comes out to approximately $10 a channel (assuming that one does not need multiple dishes or LNBs).

If the STB could double as a FTA HD receiver as well, then the $300 upfront cost would be well the gamble. (I know it is $299 cdn, but after shipping costs... it is $300+ . Don't mean to sound negative, just need some concerns addressed.

I hope that this will be available south of the border too! :up

As for costs...

I am "financially handicapped" and do not like the extra $$$ plus my wife does not think I need another box! :p

Look at what it cost to put up a OTA antenna and what you get. This has to be a better return than that!

One more thing, put your wayback helmet on and think back when DirecTv started a good 15 years or so ago. People had no idea if that "service" would survive and look how many "dished" out over $1000 for the systems!!!... :eek:

I hope that this will be available south of the border too! :up

As for costs...

I am "financially handicapped" and do not like the extra $$$ plus my wife does not think I need another box! :p

Look at what it cost to put up a OTA antenna and what you get. This has to be a better return than that!

One more thing, put your wayback helmet on and think back when DirecTv started a good 15 years or so ago. People had no idea if that "service" would survive and look how many "dished" out over $1000 for the systems!!!... :eek:

Good points :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)