OTHER Best KU LNB

If you are talking about an LNBF, I have always had good reports with the Maverick MK1-PLL I sell in my store.
The Titanium PLL-1KS (which is the same thing) is also great if you can still find anybody that has some.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I see cheap LNBs everywhere. What is the best available? Single is OK.
Sorry for the question, but what do you mean by "best"? The cheapest one or that is better performing? If it is about performance it is important to specify on what kind of antenna you are going to install this LNB (or LNBF, as it is rightly pointed).

Once in SAT-shop I've asked whether they have LNBs available. And answer was "Which ones you would like, white or black?". And you know, he was right. Any cheap LNB will perform more or less same. So, when there is need for LNB it is advisable to look at color, weight, physical dimensions. Want better performance of the SAT-system.... use bigger dish.
I gathered some of my LNBs/ LNBFs other day. So, dbshelton, if you have difficulties finding LNB, I can pick one (on my choice) and send you free of charge (you pay only shipment).

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_120109 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20161231_120109 (Custom).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: Cham
I disagree that inexpensive LNBFs are created equal. The post would be more accurate if it instead read, "cheap LNB might perform more or less same".

Have posted several tests here on SatelliteGuys comparing different brands and models. There can be a significant difference in the signal and ability to lock on a transponder. Some LNBFs didn't even lock on some transponders and others had considerably higher conversion and amplification noise or poor cross polarity performance. As most off the shelf LNBFs specifications are cut and paste or marking lies, it is impossible to compare specifications to buy the best performance. It is best to find out from several hobbyists what works best for them and usually one will notice a trend of happy customers! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RimaNTSS and KE4EST
I guess I'm talking about a LNBF (learn something new every day). Currently I am using an X2 that I got from Amazon. Seems to do OK but really not sure. I do have 2 old Invacom quad horns, one is used and one is still in the box. Don't see any use for the circular part but is the linear side good?

Yes, Invacom is good one, but this lens is a "pain" as birds like to penetrate it. And.... we still speaking about cheap side? Invacom at least 2 times more expensive than IBU, at least here.

And, BTW, it is not easy to compare 2 LNBs except their weight, color and physical dimensions. When we speak about performance than LNB alone can not perform at all..... antenna is always needed. So, it is performance of the system what can be compared. It might also happen that one LNB will bring better performance when installed on particular antenna, but when installed on other antenna it will not give performance. Besides, is there any magic tool for comparison of performances of sat-systems? I mean, should we measure reception on one particular frequency, or whole range of frequencies? What if system "A" better performs on some range of frequencies but system "B" is better on other frequencies? Which system is better performer in that case? I do not know the answers.
It would be nice if after comparison of 2 systems we could make conclusion like this: SAT-system "A" performs 7% better than SAT-system "B"! But I doubt it is possible to conclude like this. All we can- just give subjective statements like LNB "A" is better than LNB "B". :shh

Have conducted RF chamber testing on many LNBF samples and competitor units during product development. Never released this data as it was for optimizing products which I was involved with developing and not for marketing against competitor products.

It was obvious that some brands and models consistently provided poor performance, noise spikes, etc., while others excelled with higher SNR levels, minimal conversion and amplification artifacts. When these same products were compared in real word tests , the results were similar to the controlled RF space testing.

Yes, system components and install variables will affect performance (reflector efficiency, FD, FL, etc). With that said, all LNBFs come to the table with performance advantages and handicaps.

Reactions: RimaNTSS
That is understandable. After RF chamber tests, was it possible to say for example: LNBF "A" is 5% better than LNBF "B"? Is there is formula or method to do such a conclusion?

Performance isn't the only consideration with cheap. Not surprising, durability with cheap is often lower. Years ago, I'd bought two cheap X2 LNBFs. Both lasted maybe six months and died.

In my experience, a PLL will work best. For Ku, I use Avenger PLLs, bought from Amazon.

Majority of my Ku LNBFs are old (some even older than 10 years). And, TBH, I've never experienced any of them die. On some plastic cover is cracking.

I also an very pleased with the Avenger PLL-3215-2 LNBs. I have 3 of them. 2 in use are about 5 yrs old and do not appear to be affected by winter cold and summer heat. Minor braw back, being universals, they tie up the 22khz tone function.
The GEOSATPRO is also excellent, however it requires more tweaking depending which dish it is on.

When i First put my ku dish in everything came in a preassembled kit with some unknown brand universal ku lnbf. Pretty much it worked however Being the type of guy that i am I ordered a geosat pro PLL lnbf to have as a "spare" should the lnbf i was using went out for whatever reason. Then i started reading more and more posts here and a few weeks later i swapped them out putting the unknown lnbf in the spare parts kit. I did notice a little bit better performance (slightly higer signal quality) however i didnt "gain" any channels i was getting before. So from my limited experience the geosat pro lnbf was better then whatever it was that came in the kit i bought from sadoun.

The kit probably came with old technology DRM (non PLL) type LNB. The newer PLL LNBs are better especially if using a small dish and dealing with weak signals.

Gee I just looked at what Ku and C band LNBs that I have in storage.
Have 7 New Norsat PLL Ku band Lnbs and 3 new Calamp Pll Ku Lnbs and 3 new ADL PLL lnbs along with 5 C and KU feedhorns from ADL.
As for C band
4 New Norsat PLL C band and 3 Calamp Pll C band LNBs and a few New Gardner Lnb PLLs...

Glad That I have these in stock if I ever need them lol..................JS

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)