GEOSATpro Hatachi Hard Drive Issue?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Searched and didn't see anything on this. I've got a 640GB Hatachi SATA drive that came out of a Toshiba laptop that lost video that had Windowz 8 on it that I'm trying to use with my Micro HD receivers to no avail. I deleted the partition on the drive then repartitioned it and formatted it in NTFS using Ubuntu Linux.

That drive is connected to the Micro HD via an SATA to USB 3.0 adapter which is "suppose" to be backward compatible with 2.0 but the Micro HD won't recognize it when it's plugged in??? I've also got a 500GB WD SATA drive that works fine with that adapter and another that I have but this Hatachi won't work with either one? It's connected to my computer right now and it works fine, but it will not work with either of the USB adapters on either of the 2 Micro HD receivers I have?

Anyone ever run into this problem and if so, did you find a "workaround" for it?

Given that there are multiple NTFS formats, have you tried FAT?

I acknowledge that Geosatpro recommends NTFS but if that's not working...

A wild thought, but could there be a jumper setting on the hard drive? I know they are not used as much as they used to be, but might be?

This only worth what you paid for it. Nada. :)

Searched and didn't see anything on this. I've got a 640GB Hatachi SATA drive that came out of a Toshiba laptop that lost video that had Windowz 8 on it that I'm trying to use with my Micro HD receivers to no avail. I deleted the partition on the drive then repartitioned it and formatted it in NTFS using Ubuntu Linux.

That drive is connected to the Micro HD via an SATA to USB 3.0 adapter which is "suppose" to be backward compatible with 2.0 but the Micro HD won't recognize it when it's plugged in??? I've also got a 500GB WD SATA drive that works fine with that adapter and another that I have but this Hatachi won't work with either one? It's connected to my computer right now and it works fine, but it will not work with either of the USB adapters on either of the 2 Micro HD receivers I have?

Anyone ever run into this problem and if so, did you find a "workaround" for it?

Is it a 7200rpm drive? I had the same problem on a V8 Golden and it turned out that the HDD was too slow for videos. I ordered a Phantom 1TB SATA 7200 rpm external from New Egg and it's working fine. It's USB 3.0, and it's backwards compatile and works like a champ.

I agree with Titanium that it could be a power issue. I've even see 2 identical drives give different results on USB adapter due to slight difference in power consumption.
I am not familiar with the MicroHD, but I would look at the file system used on the drive that works and use exactly the same on the "new" drive.

Just a thought: Is the drive externally powered? USB 3.0 current draw can exceed the GSP microHD capability and might not spin up and mount.
Since the drive in question is probably a slightly larger capacity 2.5" drive, this seems unlikely.

Model numbers are always useful so we can find the specifications.

OK guys, I found the problem. That drive, being in a UEFI laptop with Windowz 8 on it had what's known as a GPT partition table instead of normal MBR partition table. Trying to format it in either FAT 32 or NTFS didn't get rid of the GPT partition but instead created an MBR partition inside it. I finally realized what was going on when I used an OLD DOS Win 98 startup disk on a "mule box" to delete the partition/table and then when I tried to format it it only showed up as 101GB?? So I connected it back up to Ubuntu Mate and that is where I found out about GPT by trying to create the MBR partition on it. I had to tell Linux NOT to use it and overwrite it. Right now it's connected to my Micro HD and it shows it's 598 GB in size and formatted to FAT32. I do believe I'm going to try to reformat it to NTFS though as that seems to work better with the PVR function.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/differences-between-mbr-and-gpt/

And thanks for the replies as the first guy that responded turned the light on about NTFS partitions. And yes, I did hork with this thing most of the day!!! :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts