Best LNB for old dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mandan

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Western North Carolina
Hi, I have a 10ft Unimesh dish that I am re-claiming from my old residence. It has been idle for about 7 years now. It has the older Chaparral co-rotor with c and ku lnb's. I think I should upgrade to an lnbf because I don't want the hassle of maintaning the skew motor, extra wiring etc. What would be a good replacement that would fit correctly and provide reliable service?

\\\

Do you have an analog receiver to use as a dish mover? It could also be used to select polarity if going the LNB route.

Hi mandan! Welcome to Satguys'
With all due respect to Fat Air I wouldn't recommend a WSI 741 LNBF to anyone based on my ownership experience of one. Mine had bent Ku band probes which I only found out about after I had installed it on a 10' dish 20 feet in the air. I am not the only person to have issues with LNBF's either. Very often the tweaking of the LNBF for best C-band performance results in poor Ku-band performance and vice versa. Besides I don't think WSI makes that 741 model anymore. I think it's been replaced with a 541(or some number close) model. If you are set on an LNBF check out what our site sponsor Brian @ SatelliteAV has to offer. A link to his site is on the site banner to the right of the Glorystar logo.

One idea is to keep the Co-rotor. They are reliable. If you suffer poor performance and you want to change things try some Norsat lnb's.

My general recommendation for people wishing to upgrade is to install a dedicated 39" (or larger)offset Ku-band only dish with a diseq motor and convert your BUD to C-band only with an orthomode feed with 2 Norsat LNB's. Then install a multi-switch to tie it all together.

Your mileage may vary based on your technical skill level, how much your budget is etc.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Last edited:
. . . I should upgrade to an lnbf because I don't want the hassle of maintaning the skew motor, extra wiring etc.
Mandan seems to have made the decision, and I can't argue with it. :)

LNBF or an ortho... ;)
Not a fan of corotors :(

I will be using the BUD exclusively for C band and for the time being stationary on Anik F1R. I will set it up to move later on, and I will be using a separate offset dish for KU. I need to get the dish to my property and then start the upgrade process one piece at a time.

Thanks to everyone

I will be using the BUD exclusively for C band and for the time being stationary on Anik F1R. I will set it up to move later on, and I will be using a separate offset dish for KU.
In that case, I would get a C band only LNBF.
When they were available, the dual output C2 from SatelliteAV would have been the best choice.

For now, I'd go with just about any inexpensive C only LNBF.
Then, I'd learn what an ortho feed is and keep on the lookout for one. ;)
Might take a year or two, but you'll run across a used or new ortho and pair of LNBs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)