Best reading for satellite-newbie?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kil

Original poster
May 31, 2006
Coming back from the dark side (Comcast) and moving into the satellite arena. I've been trying to chase enough reading material down to make a somewhat (I urnt 2 smart) educated decision on which set-up to use. I would appreciate any input/direction in trying to decide between Direct and Dish, then, more importantly, which equipment to purchase/rent. Alot of discussion of OTA/DVR's/antennas that can be somewhat overwhelming for a Kentucky graduate.

I currently own an overhead HD LCD projector showing at "95 and just purchased the Sony Bravia 40" LCD. I will be upgrading the overhead to a higer-end DLP shortly and adding a 50+" plasma within the coming year so I don't wish to sell the equipment short by going cheap on the signals. I plan on using HD-DVR in at least one room, if not two, with a total of 3 rooms being HD capable.

I reside in the Seattle region and have most options available to me. Any articles/threads/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would consider DirecTV over Dish. Although most satellite providers will have their drawbacks, DirecTV offers a greater variety of programming and is considered to be used by most of the satellite subscribers out there. Coming from the world of the "big dish", it's the best that I can find in the world of satellite services.

DirecTV offers a greater variety of programming and is considered to be used by most of the satellite subscribers out there.

heh?
14 million for Direct to 12 million for Dish.....so I dont thinkn "most" use Directv

For the OP...just check out both Dish & Direct forums here and see the differences and make the best decision for you

I am brand new to this also - but I have been doing my homework the past few days.

What I have already found out is - if you are into professional sports your choice has to be DIRECTV, the other one doesn't offer a football or a basball package.

DISH has a nice package of hi-def channels I never heard of before, and you can't get them on the other satellite. Looks like some movies and stuff like that mostly.

90% of it is identical.

I'm signing up today, and I prefer the sports over those movie thingys so I am going with DIRECTV. They also can get me a discount on my new HDTV because I am going to sign up for DIRECTV - and its $300 bucks - that's darn nice.

Yeah, I've long been looking for quality reading material: books, magazines, etc but by far the best information is right here and there's plenty of it!

More

Thanks for the responses. I will try the forums as suggested and hope they do the job. I am gong to assume that in those forums I can get some good advice on which pieces of equipment to look at prior to purchase. I am hearing there is quite a choice in antenna's and DVR's?
Thanks again,
Kil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)