Best Remote to Use for Voom and my HT???

MNHTUG said:
So do these Harmony remotes actually provide TV Guide data onto the lcd screen?

How well is this guide data integrated with Voom channels?

Yes, it does provide listings and works with Voom's data. I haven't really used it (edit: haven't used PG info much, but I've used remote for a couple of months and love it) much, so I don't know how well it works. I know it doesn't really work well with more than a few days info in it because of memory limitations, and I don't want to sync my repote every couple of days. I choose it over the pronto b/c of price and usability. I didn't want to go fishing for pronto codes and creating macros whereas all I had to do with the harmony was tell it my setup and it knew what to do.

truqui said:
I know this must have been discussed before but now that the STB seems more stable can anyone comment on their experience with remotes that can learn Voom's Moto box features. I used to have (still do...) Sony Commander but my daughter dropped it and oooppss...it's broken (never got to try it with Voom). Can it be fixed? LCD screen is cracked and who knows what else inside.

What are you guys using?

I use the Philips Pronto NG TSU3000 which replaced my TSU2000

Pronto TSU1000. Thought I wanted a Harmony 659 and almost bought one, but not sure I really want a remote thats pretty much activity based only. I keep looking at the Harmony 688 that was recently released, but my TSU1000 has been doing a stellar job for 5+ years I'm sceptical I want/need to change.

Just received my Harmony H688 (formerly known as SST-688). They just released it! Playing with it as we speak...

No problems setting it up for VOOM. VOOM is on the list. I will post my impressions later on, here and at AVSForum.com. Feel free to ask questions if you are interested.

Ilya said:
Just received my Harmony H688 (formerly known as SST-688). They just released it! Playing with it as we speak...

No problems setting it up for VOOM. VOOM is on the list. I will post my impressions later on, here and at AVSForum.com. Feel free to ask questions if you are interested.

How much it was?

sst-688

Its expensive list at 250.00. can be had by unauthorized dealers for 165.00 shipped. Dont get me started on the whole authorized dealers are the only warranties they will honor rant ...lmao (still waiting for mine )

cyuhnke said:
Harmony SST-659. Web-based. Easy to use. About $125 most places. All you need is internet access and a USB port.
I've got this one too-love it-works with my xm radio in the house and everything-so easy to use and ergonomic as well.

vurbano said:
can be had by unauthorized dealers for 165.00 shipped.
Yes, that's precisely what I paid for my 688 (with overnight shipment) to Intrigue directly, though I pre-ordered it long ago, soon after CES...

I am using an AMX Netlinx system with a Viewpoint wireless touchpanel. AMX has the IR codes captured to work in AMX equipment.

You can find a high-resolution picture of the actual shipping/production Harmony 688 right here.

Before you buy the Harmony 688 from Buy.com or another unauthorized dealer, be sure to check with Mike at surfremotecontrol.com for his special price.

The H688 looks like it will be ideal for PVR users. As far as VOOM right now, the MX700 or the new, smaller URC-200 may offer a nicer button layout and feel. Harmony remotes tend to have the very high WAF, though, thanks to their dedicated "Play DVD", "Watch TV," etc buttons.

Harmony: Smart State Technology

One advantage of Harmony remotes compared to other brands, even the most expensive ones, is their Smart State Technology (SST). Harmony remotes remember the latest state of each HT component (power on/off, selected input, etc.) and find the optimal way of switching from one state to another.

Why is this so important? Here is an example. Say, you've just finished watching a DVD, and now want to switch to watching VOOM with a single button click ("Watch TV" button on Harmony remotes). For this to happen, your remote has to do several things: turn off the DVD player, turn on the STB (in case it was off), switch the video input of your TV, switch the audio input of your receiver, etc. For this to work, your remote either needs to know the precise state of each component, or it should have a way of switching to a desired state regardless of the present state (using discrete codes).

This is why Pronto users and such are always concerned about discrete codes. If the initial state of your components is unknown, some macros simply won't work without discrete codes.

I still don't know if VOOM's STB has discrete codes for power on/off, and I am pretty sure, that my Toshiba DVD player doesn't have them. Fortunately, for Harmony this is not important. Harmony remotes do take advantage of discrete codes whenever they are available, but they can easily do without them too, thanks to the SST.

KenF--

Thanks for the tip on buying from Mike at SurfRemoteControl. The price was too good to pass up. Only a few dollars more than the best price I could find on eBay and Mike is an authorized dealer.

Should get my new 659 early next week.

Ken F said:
Before you buy from an unauthorized dealer, be sure to check with Mike at surfremotecontrol.com for his special price.

Ilya's comment above was the last bit of info which pushed me over the edge to buy. Thanks to all for the great input on remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)