Status
Please reply by conversation.

stef

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hi All,

As mentioned in another thread, I got myself a nice Perfect10 10ft dish and along with it came an old Von Weise V76-5 actuator.

I've cleaned the inner tube a bit with steel wool but there are still some areas with bumpy rust.

The acme screw also has some rust but I haven't tried to clean it yet. Will wait to see the recommendation form you guys first.

I guess that's what happens when a dish sits there not moving for years in our Canadian climate!

Thanks,

Stef

Attachments

• IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3246.JPG
    IMG_3246.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 255
I would use the wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean off the rust. The real question is the condition of the acme nut. After cleaning how loose will it be?

I have an angle grinder with write brushes so I'll give it a try...

As for the nylon nut, it's hard to say since I don't know if it's normal to have "some" play. I'll try to measure the forward/backward play.

I managed to clean the acme screw quite well using fine write brush on a bench grinder and I removed as much rust as possible on the inner tube. I also cleaned the nylon nut to remove some of the rust dust... and then screwed in the screw making sure to apply an even coat of lithium grease over all threads.

I took a peek inside the gearbox and everything seemed clean with plenty of grease so I didn't do anything there.

Testing the actuator using ~24v resulted in a smooth and quiet movement out and in. It seemed a bit slow but maybe it was due to the applied voltage?

I've often wondered why Von Weise didn't make those dish movers with stainless steel screws?? They were available back then. The ones I've seen have been plated and that will work ok in the short term in a "dry" environment but over time when the seals leak and water gets in that tube that stuff will break down and rust will form on the screw. That rough rusty surface will play havoc with those glass filled nylon screw nuts.

And speaking of plastic nuts, I replaced a couple of those with BRASS ones a few years back and here's a link to that info for your reading pleasure.

Motorsports Village • View topic - Von Weise Acme Nut Repair

Yea, totally agree. The rust pits will eat away at the nylon nut. I'll see if I can order a brass nut to Canada. I don't have lathe but I'll ask around to see if someone I know knows someone that knows someone that has one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts