Best way to combine OTA and TV2 RF?

Is this possible?

I'm also thinking of trying to see if I can distribute the TV2 output and OTA with just one cable. I think the setup that I have in the doc is plausible, but I wanted to hear your opinions about it first before I do anything. (I don't have a triplexer in my dish setup like the OP does)

Attachments

• idea.doc
    127.5 KB · Views: 130
That should work but remember you need to de-diplex the the signal at TV-2 to get you antenna and satellite signals.
Use a Sat-OTA diplexer (Sat=900MHz and up, OTA=below that), not a 2-way splitter for maximum signal--no 4+dB loss.
It will be labeled with Sat and Air or some such on 2 legs and combined on the single leg.
-Ken

I think the visible video ringing is not due to RF impedance mismatch as the splitters and combiners are not that bad. I think it's in the RF modulation circuits of the 722.

It is more likely due to an open cable end--no termination or a high-impedance one.
Do not split the cable with a plain tee, either. Such mismatches will cause an echo.
You might be able to estimate the distance to the mismatch by the width of the echo
compared to time for a raster line--63 microseconds for SD, IIRC. ~510/1080 of that for HD.
Nominally 1 foot/nanosecond (open air), same/dielectric constant for cables.
For OTA in the pre-digital days watch for buildings, billboards, etc.
-Ken

Now this is an issue pertaining to combining OTA with TV2 from a 722 right?.:confused:

Just wanting to be sure because my 722k/wMT2 works outstanding.The MT2(Dual Tuner Module) does a great job of relaying the OTA signal and displaying those channels in my TV2 guide with my TV2 satellite signals.:)

I think the visible video ringing is not due to RF impedance mismatch as the splitters and combiners are not that bad. I think it's in the RF modulation circuits of the 722.
It is more likely due to an open cable end--no termination or a high-impedance one.
Thanks. I have some terminators I can try and will do some testing. I'll also check with a direct connection and see if it improves.
Now this is an issue pertaining to combining OTA with TV2 from a 722 right?.:confused:

Just wanting to be sure because my 722k/wMT2 works outstanding.The MT2(Dual Tuner Module) does a great job of relaying the OTA signal and displaying those channels in my TV2 guide with my TV2 satellite signals.:)
Right, MT2 works fine for me too. I just want to send OTA directly to my second TV to get it in HD. So I essentially get 2 versions of the OTA channels, the SD one via RF from the MT2 on my 722 over TV2 and the HD one directly from my antenna. Just trying to get the best picture possible over the single coax I'm stuck with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)