Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Ok guys here's the question.

What has been the most helpful trick, advice, or shortcut you learned about setting up a Big Dish for c-band and ku band?

Here's the backstory some one has given me an 8 foot solid (pictures are coming) and I just purchased a cal-amp c/ku feedhorn from e-bay. I will try and post the progression here if anyone is interested.

Thanks ahead of time, cause you guys always come through!

well all of them have been helpful :)
cause theres usually two sides to the story , removal and setup.
main thing is to stay safe, and not get yourself hurt
second is so survey the scene, clear out any obstructions and lube up the dish for removal
take photos. bring enough help to get the job done.

Don't mess with elevation/declination until you're absolutely certain, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you need to. And if you only move a dish a few miles, you probably won't have to. And if you do, a quarter of a turn of the bolt/nut can make a world of difference.

This site has been quoted in other threads, but this was probably the best one I found.

Footprints by Dish Size - Adjusting the Polar Mount for Prime Focus Antenna - C/Ku-Band Satellite Systems - Tuning, Tracking, Azimuth, Elevation, Declination Angles, F/D Ratio, Focal Distance, Inclinometer, LNB/Feedhorn Assembly, Actuator Assembly, C

On this site is a diagram explaining the philosophy of dish tuning. I struggled with getting that arc to track and was very frustrated. Seeing this caused the whole thing to make perfect sense to me. Here's a direct link: http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizeimgs/adjarcsr.gif

Plumb and Level!
Plumb and Level!
Plumb and Level!
Plumb and Level!
Plumb and Level!
Plumb and Level!
I whole heartily agree, this is probably the most helpful trick, but it's certainly not the only trick. And every trick, no matter how little it may seem, is an asset. And Yes, Please Post Pictures..!!!

I whole heartily agree, this is probably the most helpful trick, but it's certainly not the only trick. And every trick, no matter how little it may seem, is an asset. And Yes, Please Post Pictures..!!!

The trick would be making a pole plumb AND level! You can make it plumb, or you can make it level, you can't do both!

1) tweak, test, and perfect the c-band signals and lnb. Then check the Ku side, and those are the ku signals you will get. I prefer a perfect c-band signal and an okay Ku signal rather than decent signals on both.

2) Fill the pole's inside with concrete

3) Dig Deep

4) Take a good amount of good time to finding true south / ensuring perfet arc tracking before adjusting anything else too much.

Pole is Plumb
Mount is Level

Also, take notes of what you are doing. Up, down, left, right, before you know it, you can forget it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)