BLOCKBUSTER Online to deliver both formats

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
BLOCKBUSTER Online(R) Survey Gets Clear Picture of Movie Lovers' Interest in High-Definition DVDs
Subscribers Can Begin Queuing Up HD DVD Titles on April 18th

DALLAS, April 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Action is the genre movie lovers most want to see when the movie industry's first high-definition DVDs debut next week, according to a recent survey by BLOCKBUSTER Online(R) that examined subscriber interest in high-definition technology and entertainment.

The first releases on HD DVD, a new high-definition DVD format designed to deliver significantly better picture quality than standard DVDs, will hit the market on April 18, while another high-definition format, Blu-ray Disc(TM), is currently scheduled to begin rolling out on May 23. BLOCKBUSTER Online will carry both new formats. Subscribers can begin adding available HD DVD titles to their rental queues beginning April 18, and Blu-ray Disc(TM) titles will follow shortly thereafter.

"BLOCKBUSTER Online is committed to providing customers with the movies they want in the format they prefer whether its HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc(TM) or standard DVD, as long as it's available from the studio," said Shane Evangelist, senior vice president and general manager of BLOCKBUSTER Online. "Given the resolution these new formats offer, it's no surprise people ranked movies with critically acclaimed action and special effects at the top of their must-see lists."

When asked what type of entertainment they'd most want to see on DVD in high-definition format, subscribers responded with the following ranking:

1. Action movies 2. Science fiction 3. Scenic movies 4. Family movies 5. Music and performance DVDs 6. Horror movies 7. Documentaries 8. Sports DVDs

"The Matrix" and "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" topped the list of specific movies subscribers said they'd first like to see in high definition; however, they may have to wait a little while. "The Last Samurai," "Million Dollar Baby," Phantom of the Opera" and "Serenity" will be the first movies to release in the HD DVD format.

Approximately 55 percent of the subscribers surveyed have high-definition ready or capable TVs and 47 percent said they were somewhat to very interested in watching high-definition DVDs. Only about a third of the subscribers surveyed showed interest in actually purchasing high-definition hardware at this time. Price, availability of high-definition movies and the emergence of a standard HD format were cited as the key factors influencing their decision to purchase high-definition hardware.

"It's the old beta versus VHS dilemma," Evangelist said. "There's no way to know how long it's going to take for the general market to decide which formats will ultimately prevail. So while this shakes out, we're just going to listen to our customers and make sure we give them the movies they want in the format they prefer -- whatever the technology."

Starting April 18, users will be able to browse a list of titles available in the HD DVD format by looking under the "DVD Collections" list in the left- hand menu on the BLOCKBUSTER Online site. HD DVD titles will also be included under the "All Editions" link on individual movie pages. Membership is not required to browse the site and review featured movie titles.

Great! First it was NetFlix and now Blockbuster Online is going to offer HD DVDs.
The price of HD DVDs is rather high and I am not sure I will want to keep buying them, but renting makes a lot of sense. I think I will join one of these on-line clubs after all. Which one would you guys recommend?

I will wait to see until you can compare the libraries of DVDs. I used to be a netflix customer and found them to be very good.

Since there is only a handfull of movies scheduled to be released in the first couple of months, I am pretty sure that they will have the entire library. The question is whether they will have enough copies to satisfy all initial requests, or whether I will have to wait weeks to get them...

Now I'm starting to think seriously on buying the HDDVD player. I prefer Blockbuster over Netflix. The price is the same but blockbuster gives you a coupon to pickup an extra movie per week at the store. Also, in my case the shipping address is local which mean faster service.

I have Intelliflix. They offer a annual plan that saves you money. I have not heard if they will offer HDDVD's yet but I am sure they will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)