blocking adult channels from showing in guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tivo does it this way too and it is a very easy and simple solution for the user. It also streamlines searchs.

But working with an HR2x isn't there an adult channel block that totally eliminates the specifically adult channels from the guide so it's like they don't exist?
The Tivo units allowed you to edit the "channels I get" list, so that based on whatever you selected, channels would not ever appear if you didn't want them to - whether you were using a favorites list or not.

I just use a favorites list to 'work around' seeing channels that I don't want to, but I agree that it would be nice to have an option similar to the Tivo units. I thought I had heard that was something possibly being added? While they did change it so channels you don't receive are grayed out, they do still appear in the guide when viewing the full channel list.

I believe that just creating a new Favorites list doesn't keep people (IE: Kids) from going in and still veiwing all channels available on the program guide. E did it right eventually, but it took them a while to get there.

I think this is where the question is coming from. Not only can you block channels, but you could also remove/add them from the overall guide under the parental control.

I believe that just creating a new Favorites list doesn't keep people (IE: Kids) from going in and still veiwing all channels available on the program guide. E did it right eventually, but it took them a while to get there.

I think this is where the question is coming from. Not only can you block channels, but you could also remove/add them from the overall guide under the parental control.
Jimbo does not like the idea so we need to let it drop. :(

I am scared to bring up having the channels list in descending order. :rolleyes:

This is exactly the point. Using favorites doesn't stop kids from seeing them. Blocking adult also blocks more channels than it should. It can't be that hard to create an option to block & hide all adult channels and adult channels only.

This is exactly the point. Using favorites doesn't stop kids from seeing them. Blocking adult also blocks more channels than it should. It can't be that hard to create an option to block & hide all adult channels and adult channels only.
Yea the point I was trying to make is the way D* does it, is not very flexible. I might want to not only block adult but also logo, mtv or any other channel I choose.
The way I used it with E* was I blocked every channel I didn't want to see when surfing, then I created SMALL favorites for myself, one for my kid, and one for movies. I didn't have to do one for just HD because that was already done. :up
I would lock and hide all PPV's so we would never see them, but when I did get UFC each month I would click "show locked".
If someone's favorites has 100+ channels in it, are they really all favorites? :confused:

Jimbo does not like the idea so we need to let it drop. :(

I am scared to bring up having the channels list in descending order. :rolleyes:

:confused:
Why would what I have to say have anything to do with what others like or dislike ?

fwiw, if you look back several posts, you'll find I like the idea of being able to edit them on a computer, but you must have missed that one.

I believe when you make a custom guide list in D*'s set up and you remove a channel it DOES NOT show in the guide.
However, you can still get to the channel, it''s just not in the guide anymore, but thats where the parental controls come in.

Jimbo

Yea the point I was trying to make is the way D* does it, is not very flexible. I might want to not only block adult but also logo, mtv or any other channel I choose.
The way I used it with E* was I blocked every channel I didn't want to see when surfing, then I created SMALL favorites for myself, one for my kid, and one for movies. I didn't have to do one for just HD because that was already done. :up
I would lock and hide all PPV's so we would never see them, but when I did get UFC each month I would click "show locked".
If someone's favorites has 100+ channels in it, are they really all favorites? :confused:

Man, you may as well turn the TV off, seeing the only thing that can be watched is thru your hands.
Why bother.

Why not just lock EVERYTHING out and only activate them as you want to see them, you can do that easily enough, just password all

Man, you may as well turn the TV off, seeing the only thing that can be watched is thru your hands.
Why bother.

Why not just lock EVERYTHING out and only activate them as you want to see them, you can do that easily enough, just password all

I don't know what your point is, in fact I wonder if anyone does. Mine is D*'s guide view is not as flexible as it could be. What is yours?
I NEVER get PPV movies so why should I have to scroll through them in ANY of my views. I get UFC once a month; easy enough to unhide, watch, hide again. It's not that difficult for anyone to understand, except you. Why would I not lock EVERYTHING? Because that would be STUPID.
If logo, we or oxygen would never be tuned to why should it be in any of my views? Same for any of the nhl or nba channels. Again I ask, Do you have a point? Obviously this has really hit a nerve with you. If ALL 150 channels in your favorites list are really and truly your most watched favorites; wonderful sounds like D*'s favorites system is perfect for you.

I feel bad for the OP'er, I don't even know if he got an answer.....

dslate,
Do what ever you want, it's your box, block it all or leave it all open ...
you started this mess.

One of the posters mentioned something about a custom guide showing up on your computer and being able to edit that way.
Great idea, but it's not available yet.
Seeing D* does read these threads maybe it will show up sometime ...

I really don't see taking 5 minutes to go thru the channels and remove what you don't want in the guide is all.

You also have a 9 channel favorite guide on most of the rec's now as well, fully customizable, although this does not address the blocking of channels, thought I'd mention it.

Jimbo

dslate,
Do what ever you want, it's your box, block it all or leave it all open ...
you started this mess.
Yes, I started it by posting an observation on how D* does their guide and my wish for a more flexible way. In the future to avoid a mess when you don't like someones idea ignore it don't attack it.

You can hide any channel you want by eliminating from a favorites list.

BUT it still shows up in searches. I don't care about adult content but the wife would like to see only the channels we actually get when searching. i'd be fine even if it listed the channel name insted of the number. sorry I know this is off topic but not by much

Well, I post the question, go away for a few days and start a war! LOL!:D

Thanks for all the replies...and I understand about making favorites, but that doesn't keep an 11 year old boy from going out of his favorite list and reading all the adult content descritpions, some of which can be pretty graphic. I am not overly concerned, boys will be boys, but having the option to just get rid of all the adult channels would be nice and make my life easier.

There is not really that much harm, but I had dish before and you could simply keep all adult content channels from showing up in any favorite list or channel guide.
Maybe direct will make that available someday.

I am really happy with Direct otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts