Blu-Ray 1st half sales double HD-DVD

Wasnt it 3 to 1 not too long ago???? This is a bad sign for the superior format that has already won.

Not sure the history, but given the same press report lists total sales at 2.2 million BR and 1.5 million HD-DVD I'm not sure how someone would arrive at 3 to 1 unless they did a week or month comparison - not a longer term comparison. The math would be impossible.

With that said, I think the comments about 300 are more telling. 190k to 97k title comparison doesn't look good for anyone that is HD-DVD solely. Of course, the BR studios are probably sitting there wondering how they can get a slice of that 97K pie. The only "winners" are the dual format studios. But production and shelf-space are an issue for dual-format.

Basically what you have here (in my opinion) is further evidence of a stalemate. Blu-Ray is clearly "winning", but never by enough to establish a direction/decision. And the longer any format holds out, the cheaper the dual-format world gets - and the more likely both formats will live on.

Chris

The original article stating 3:1 was referring to the latest (at that time) weekly report. Weekly sales are still hovering around 2:1 in favor of Blu-ray.

"Basically what you have here (in my opinion) is further evidence of a stalemate. Blu-Ray is clearly "winning", but never by enough to establish a direction/decision. And the longer any format holds out, the cheaper the dual-format world gets - and the more likely both formats will live on."

Exactly. And that's what retailers and at least some studios want to avoid. Think of the costs involved in stocking multiple disc versions: DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray, Combo, Total, and I think there was yet another HD DVD version. That is why (I believe) the format "competition" will be settled early, when high def only has 1%-2% of the market. So far, Blu-ray has maintained a lead. But there are a lot of major Blu-ray exclusive releases coming during the remainder of the year, and many expect this to help Blu-ray widen that lead. And that may be enough incentive for retailers and others to line up behind Blu-ray.

Nielson sales reports are provided and updated here. Look at the attached graph in post 53 and you'll see a general downward trend for HD DVD.

Not sure the history, but given the same press report lists total sales at 2.2 million BR and 1.5 million HD-DVD I'm not sure how someone would arrive at 3 to 1 unless they did a week or month comparison - not a longer term comparison. The math would be impossible.
Ask your BD troll chop he's the one that started the thread entitled :

Blu-ray now outselling HD-DVD by 3 to 1

How else is anyone supposed to interprete a thread with such a title? You mean he was misleading people? Oh not Navychop?

It was not misleading. The link was provided. Blu-ray outsold HD DVD 3 to 1 that week. Sales later slid back to 2 to 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts