Blu-ray ?

moonpie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Princeton,N.C.
Is there any reason to get a blu-ray plyer if my tv is only 1080i capable?Wife offered as a CHRISTmas gift but I didn't see the need with my tv.Am I wrong? What do you guys think? Moon.

Is there any reason to get a blu-ray plyer if my tv is only 1080i capable?Wife offered as a CHRISTmas gift but I didn't see the need with my tv.Am I wrong? What do you guys think? Moon.
Most TVs aren't 1080p and Blu-ray looks great on the ones that aren't 1080p. 1080i actually has the same amount of info as 1080p it just displays it differeently. 1080i is interlaced (it alternates 1/2 the lines very quickly), 1080p is progressive and displays all info on the screen at once. I belive that is correct and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm not.

Last edited:
I will look into one.It's not often the wife will splurge on a new player when the old one is ok.But i love a cheap wife!

Definitly get a Blu-ray player! (Especially if your wife suggests that ;) )
You will be amazed by what your TV is capable of!

Blu-ray is your best bet you will not be dissapointed at all. Also the price has come down greatly for the Holiday season.

What size is your TV?

An upconvert might be a cheaper solution.

It is not a cheaper solution -- it is a joke. You can not upconvert a 480 picture and get more resolution out of it. You just exacerbate the problems inherent in a 480 picture.

If you have a HDTV, then you are only fooling yourself in beliving that an upconverting DVD player is anywhere close to the picture that a BluRay player will deliver with a movie in the BluRay format.:rolleyes:

Moonpie, look at the new Panasonic DMP-BD35 or DMP-BD55. These are probably the best deals on a 2.0 player. If your AVR does not have HDMI input then go for the 55 - it has analog out. If your AVR does have HDMI then the 35 will do for less money. Check on the Amazon post in this forum and see if you can still get the deal on the 55. Good luck and enjoy.

With a 42" set, sitting more than ten feet away you probably won't notice a difference between a good DVD and Blu-ray, especially with that upconverting player. We have a 52" set and with our normal viewing distance of about 12 feet I can see a difference, but admittedly it is a minor one. I also have a cheap wife, and she doesn't think the difference between Blu-ray and DVD is worth it. She tolerates me buying the occasional Blu-ray, but when she buys a movie it is DVD only - because they are cheaper.

You can also look at it from this angle: If you get a Blu-ray player today (especially if you get a 2.0 model), you will be all set for many years to come.
If you buy an upconverting player today, then next year you will find yourself struggling with the same question again and will most likely end up buying Blu-ray then.
So, why waste money on an obsolete SD format form the last century? Go HD all the way! ;)

We have a 52" set and with our normal viewing distance of about 12 feet I can see a difference, but admittedly it is a minor one.
What kind of set is that? Are you sure you are using HD connection (e.g. HDMI cable)??? The difference on a 52" set from 12' away should be breathtaking!

You can also look at it from this angle: If you get a Blu-ray player today (especially if you get a 2.0 model), you will be all set for many years to come.
If you buy an upconverting player today, then next year you will find yourself struggling with the same question again and will most likely end up buying Blu-ray then.
So, why waste money on an obsolete SD format form the last century? Go HD all the way! ;)

Exactly. Short run cheap, long run expensive, to stick w/DVD.

It is not a cheaper solution -- it is a joke. You can not upconvert a 480 picture and get more resolution out of it. You just exacerbate the problems inherent in a 480 picture.

If you have a HDTV, then you are only fooling yourself in beliving that an upconverting DVD player is anywhere close to the picture that a BluRay player will deliver with a movie in the BluRay format.:rolleyes:

Moonpie, look at the new Panasonic DMP-BD35 or DMP-BD55. These are probably the best deals on a 2.0 player. If your AVR does not have HDMI input then go for the 55 - it has analog out. If your AVR does have HDMI then the 35 will do for less money. Check on the Amazon post in this forum and see if you can still get the deal on the 55. Good luck and enjoy.

Um, actually the question I posed was a legitimate one. The size of your display and your seating distance all factor in the noticeable difference between an upconvert and a BD player. To some, it's not enough to warrant the premium.

Personally, I have several HD displays, a BD Player, an HD DVD player and an upconvert. On my 42" 1080i plasma, seating distance ranges from 10-18 feet away. Truth be told, I don't think the difference between my upconvert player and a BD player is not that noticeable. Now in my HT, watching a 92" HD image from 10' away, the difference between a BD and an upconvert DVD is very noticeable and well worth the premium on the movies and player IMO.

But as the prices on BD players continue to drop in price, it will eventually become the logical next step when you decide it's time to replace the old up-convert player.

Keep in mind, discs bought today will be viewed on displays bought in the future, too. Better to get Blu-ray now, as it will keep it's value in the future.

I am thinking of getting the pan-35.I use optical out for my surround sound & use hdmi to the tv.This connection should work till I get the upgrade hdmi receiver shouldn't it?Thanks for all the help so far.Moon

I am thinking of getting the pan-35.I use optical out for my surround sound & use hdmi to the tv.This connection should work till I get the upgrade hdmi receiver shouldn't it?Thanks for all the help so far.Moon

Yes. Others will point out that you won't be able to decode advanced audio formats, but it will do standard DD and DTS just fine. You might want to turn off your TV speakers if there is a menu item for that, since the audio will go both places, and people will try to adjust volume on the TV by using the wrong remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts