Booting Issue

Rae1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Oklahoma
I wanted to do a clean install of WinXP. So I installed the new drive, unplugged the old and installed XP. I mistaking thought that when I plugged in the old drive again it would treat it as a dual boot and ask which drive I wanted to use. I really don't want to go through the whole install and patching ritual again, but I would really like to boot to the new drive and copy files from the old drive.:cool:
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance.

Yes it is possible. It all depends on what type of drives you are using on what is needed to make this happen.

The new drive doesn't show up in the BIOS. Is that because I'm using a PCI adapter card for the SATA drive? Will I ever be able to boot from this drive? :confused:

It all depends on what the controller allows. You could also change to IDE drive to a slave or add it to the secondary controller on the system board to see if that helps.

It all depends on what the controller allows. You could also change to IDE drive to a slave or add it to the secondary controller on the system board to see if that helps.

I'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks.

It didn't work. In addition to slaving and changing to seconday controller I unhooked the IDE drive completely and I received a boot error. So it seems that the only devices that are going to permit a boot are floppy, CD, or IDE hard drive anything connected to the IDE cable.

In thery if I could find an IDE cable to SATA cable my troubles might be over??? I'm really stretching it now aren't I?

have you seen if there is a BIOS upgrade that can be done on your motherboad? I read that some have an option of other that fits the need of the SATA controller.

First you need to go to the system or motherboard manufacture and search their site for downloads for your hardware. They will normally have instructions with the file if you find one. Every manufacture is a little different on how they upgrade the bios.

I can't seem to find the MOBO manufacturer? The computer is Gateway & all of their business systems are now being referred to MPC computers and they are not helping at all. Can you point me in the right direction to determine the MOBO manufacturer?

Gateway. Good luck. Time to start saving for a new one.
Don't I know it. Special adapter for the power supply. The memory was out of this world. In retrospect I wouldn't have spent a dime on this machine I would have built/bought a new one. The hardest thing is getting information. Aaah the wonderful world of hind sight.

Look for markings on your motherboard identifying it. If that doesn't work write down the bios string at boot up (example: Intel Corp. MV85010A.15A.0075.P13.0209191141 09/19/2002) Guess which part of this might be a model # and do a search for it (mv85010a). This may tell you the make and model of the motherboard. Then you can search for the bios (google: mv85010a bios download) and hopefully find a copy from the board maker.

Keep in mind that there's some risk in flashing the bios. I use this method on old computers that people gave me for free so if they die I've lost nothing but time.

I finally found the brand of the MOBO will let you know when I'm ready to update (flash) the bios. Thanks for all of the input.

PC for general use & camcorder

IE7Pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts