Boston City council looks to make FTA difficult!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
they can try all they want...OTARD overrides it

Yes they can restrict where the dish is put, but if you can get a signal at X location, OTARD protects you (as long as the dish is under a meter)

Important thing to notice is that if they make it a part of a historic preservation deally bopper, they do have some grounds to be in compliance with otard by limiting where a dish can go...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...06/10/17/city_may_banish_tv_dishes_from_view/
Any ban the council ultimately approves would have to comply with a Federal Communications Commission regulation that prohibits restrictions on satellite dishes except for safety or historic reasons.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
The rule does not prohibit legitimate safety restrictions or restrictions designed to preserve designated or eligible historic or prehistoric properties, provided the restriction is no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the safety or preservation purpose.

There are certain restrictions as to where/how/why, etc. that a city can put something on the national historic register... but I highly suspect Boston's old enough that they could put a good portion of the city in there, if they haven't already done so...

``We have buildings that have three floors, but there are six dishes hanging off the front," said Marygrace Gravallese, a 49-year-old East Boston resident who subscribes to cable. ``I'm sick and tired of looking at them. It makes me sick when I'm driving down the street. Somebody needs to do something."

He is the sick one for taking away the freedom of people just to please his view.

figures - she's got cable. Guess dish folks should start complaining about having to call dig rite everytime they want to bury their dead pets because of old cranky ladies who have had the cable companies run wires all over the city's natural underground surfaces... like techno moles.

wait, so is this North Korea or America we live in? Last I checked we're in America.

Just so you know, I watched this thing on ABC about how they don't allow a damn thing in North Korea. Only 2 TV stations and they are government run stations.

wait, so is this North Korea or America we live in? Last I checked we're in America.

Just so you know, I watched this thing on ABC about how they don't allow a damn thing in North Korea. Only 2 TV stations and they are government run stations.
Agreed 100,000,000 percent. Not to turn this thread into a blog, but our private property rights are being eroded more and more on a daily basis.

Why?

Nobody will step in and put a stop to it.

I see the city working an interesting angle regarding "unused dishes." It would be difficult to argue that an unused dish is protected by OTARD. However, if the city wants to prevail it would be wise not to single out satellite dishes. Equal zeal will need to be demonstrated in abolishing derelict OTA antennas, non-functional HVAC units, and doghouses with no dog in residence ... as well as unsightly CATV cable runs no longer associated with an active cable account.

...but can you imagine the difficulty of explaining to an untrainded dish cop that you are tuned to things other than DN and DTV, you DO in fact use ALL those dishes, and why some of them need to be larger than pizza pans?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I live in Blaine, MN (~45m from Iceberg). I installed a 76cm Winegard dish for my brother last year. A city inspector showed up a week later asking me to move it to the backyard citing city code. I could not get a decent signal for the T5 and AMC4 sats (I did not want to mount it on the roof). I moved it back to the same place a month later. So far, the inspector has not showed up yet.

Cuong

I wonder if any of them could be shared to cut down the number of dishs IF people worked together and not just make there own stove pipe?

Then stop looking Marygrace :D

``We have buildings that have three floors, but there are six dishes hanging off the front," said Marygrace Gravallese, a 49-year-old East Boston resident who subscribes to cable. ``I'm sick and tired of looking at them. It makes me sick when I'm driving down the street. Somebody needs to do something."

He is the sick one for taking away the freedom of people just to please his view.

Hi all,

I live in Blaine, MN (~45m from Iceberg). I installed a 76cm Winegard dish for my brother last year. A city inspector showed up a week later asking me to move it to the backyard citing city code. I could not get a decent signal for the T5 and AMC4 sats (I did not want to mount it on the roof). I moved it back to the same place a month later. So far, the inspector has not showed up yet.

Cuong
If he comes again, be polite at first and get him to give you everything in his complaint in writing.

When you have this in hand, threaten him with a lawsuit (citing OTARD) and criminal trespass charges.

That's the only way to stop these "people".

Last edited:
The odd line in the article was when they said that as long as it doesnt cost more to the consumer and as long as it doesnt result in a poorer signal.

Thats going to make this whole thing unenforceable. Its a joke.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

36" dish and a hh90 motor!

Had a cool dream, don't laugh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)